New to the group!

Options
Hello! I'm about to have my first class on March 22nd to get bariatric surgery soon. I'm very hopeful and looking to find some friends.

I'll introduce myself: My names Marissa Nicole. I'm 21 years old & from California! I gained a lot of my weight between 12 and 18 years old due to 6 foot surgeries to correct my severe flat feet but it kept creating issues with my right foot. I now have a rare chronic illness called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS). Basically my nervous system is malfunctioning and every type of sensation (breezes, touch such as clothing, blankets, sounds even) hurts my leg severely. My nerves think everything is "attacking" and sends pain signals 24/7. What started out in just my foot had spread to my whole leg. It's also caused my skin to change color on the affected limb as well as having a different temp compared to the rest of my body. CRPS is characterized by its "burning" sensation. Imagine holding your hand over a flame or on a hot stove and never being able to pull it away! That's CRPS. There's no cure or specified treatments. So as you can imagine, I can only do low impact exercises. Meds were a nightmare! I was on one that made me gain weight no matter what I did. Now that I'm on a decent medication with no side effects like that, I'm looking forward to losing weight to hopefully help my pain! I also have a fatty liver and high blood pressure. I've lost 30 so far but I'm far from my goal, which hopefully VSG can help me achieve. Due to my illness, I cannot work. I'm in school though but it's not very "social" since it's all online. New friends who are understanding and not judgmental would be amazing. I'd love to hear some feedback on your weight loss journeys and about recovery expectations!

Replies

• tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    welcome add me if you want
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Rissa_Nic0le! Sending a friend request!
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Rissa_Nic0le. Your profile says you are from Manteca, I am in Livermore. Where are you having surgery?
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Congrats on losing 30lbs - that's a success! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Rissa_Nic0le
    Rissa_Nic0le Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Congrats on losing 30lbs - that's a success! Feel free to add me as a friend.

Thank you!!
  • Rissa_Nic0le
    Rissa_Nic0le Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bekah7482 wrote: »
    Welcome @Rissa_Nic0le. Your profile says you are from Manteca, I am in Livermore. Where are you having surgery?

Ah! We're so close to one another! :)
    I'm probably having it at Dameron in Stockton. I get all the details next week about where it will take place and requirements. After my class I have to go to a weigh in appointment then see a nutritionist & psychologist. Hopefully everything goes smoothly!
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Bekah7482 wrote: »

Ah! We're so close to one another! :)
    I'm probably having it at Dameron in Stockton. I get all the details next week about where it will take place and requirements. After my class I have to go to a weigh in appointment then see a nutritionist & psychologist. Hopefully everything goes smoothly!

Awesome. I am going through the Fremont Kaiser. Good Luck. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I'm almost 5 weeks post sleeve. Feel free to add me.
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had VSG 10/5/16 feel free to add me.