Live the Lifestyle (LTL) Friday 17 March

Options
Jimb376mfp
Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- 88olds (George)
Tuesday -- spospo1 (Steve)
Wednesday -- minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday -- imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday --Jim376 (Jim)

Today’s Topic: Happy St Patrick's Day! We will discuss Eating Green things!
Zero Smart Point Fruits & Veggies Do Not Equal Zero Calories

The WW program allows us to eat Fruits & Vegetables (F&V) as Zero SPs. There must be moderation but I was wondering if any GoaDies track F&V consumption and/or worry about eating too much?

How do you manage your intake of F&Vs? Or do you care? Do you track how many veggie portions you eat daily? Some days I know I should "eat something green" but have not.

My WW Mtg Leader once said “No one got here by eating too much fruit!” True enough, but as I have lost pounds and SPs I sometimes wonder how much fruit is right/too much/too little?
Do you track your fruit consumption?

Some fruits are higher in calories and sugar content so I know I can eat too much but I have not had to put a specific number on how many fruits I should I have per day. My usual is two or three in AM and another one or two in PM or evening. I wonder if I should cut back but then I figure fruits are a whole lot better than the carp I used to eat.

As for veggies, the store bought kind with sauces are the only ones that I try to limit. For example, I recently tried a small package of frozen green bean casserole. It was delicious but very high SP! Anytime they try to make veggies tastier with cheese, sauces, oils etc watch out!

(PS:Green Beer is a vegetable, TODAY ONLY!)

Replies

• podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Ah stole my thought about green beer. I .ike steamed veggies w salt and pepper. I need to eat more fruit. I don't always eat some,
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,966 Member
    Options
    I don't count points (or track anything) anymore. However, if I did, I wouldn't worry about veggies. I generally like green veggies, and it's hard to imagine how to eat so much broccoli that it would cause me to gain weight!

Green beer, on the other hand...
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    When I started, fruit had points. I quickly found the apple was my best friend followed closely by any kind of berry, particularly strawberries. Apples had a lot of advantages relatedted to portability. Later, in a tough period I had to learn PP counting. The only fruit intake I tried to keep an eye on was the banana, maybe 3 or 4 per week, and grapes. I can knock off grapes in mindless binges like potato chips.

As to veggies, DW made me gallons and gallons of zero point soup. It became the foundation of my program. Especially in winter months. Summer I switched to salads. But the soup she made for me turned out more like stew. Just a big pot of cooked zero point veggies. I'd take a big bowl or maybe 2, measure out some pre cooked mix ins, usually grilled chicken and brown rice, calculate those points and chow down. The points were fixed but the volume was infinite. Oh joy. Never one to kick myself for "pigging out" on zero point veggies.
  • MurpleCat
    MurpleCat Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't dislike fruit, but its just never something I think about. I made a habit of having a banana with breakfast, just to be sure to get potassium in my life. Then WW made fruit 'free', so instead of spending 2 points on a banana, I could have a banana AND some chocolate for 2 points. That really never made sense to me. Now I'm watching carbs, and fruit has nearly dropped off my shopping list. I'll still get blueberries when they're in season, and occasionally will get a bag of apples. But not every week.

Vegetables, on the other hand, are a huge part of my diet. I like almost all of them, and eat them in significant quantities at every meal. I don't track or worry about the "stir fry" vegetables, and am only concerned with the starchy ones (potatoes, corn, peas, beans, winter squash). I keep track of any sauces I use, or oil if I stir fry/ roast. But not the vegetables themselves.

I figure my GI tract will let me know when I've eaten too much. That only happened once, about 20 years ago when I ate 2 pounds of baby carrots mindlessly in one sitting. Since then, either my guts have toughened up, or I've never eaten that much at a sitting again.

Murple
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,551 Member
    Options
    I track on MFP and track all my fruit and veggies. I still try to get a couple pieces of fruit each day. Generally I have a banana every morning with my breakfast or as an AM snack. Apple is in the afternoon and sometimes at night. But I do track the calorie intake to keep my overall consumption on track. While the veggies generally don't have much caloric impact I still track them.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I track everything in MFP.

A friend of mine was doing SmartPoints (WW for a long time) and then starting double tracking in MFP. Now that she is counting everything, she has brought her weight down by the couple of pounds that weren't going away when she was not paying attention to F&V.

YMMV
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I love fruit but I do calories instead of points so I count it all. I try to get my 5 a day at minimum for fruits and veggies (9 servings per day is my ideal but it doesn't always happen). I hope everyone enjoys their green beer vegetable today!
  • mcbluesky
    mcbluesky Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    0 pt. fruit is one of the reasons I like WW. Replacing late night binges of ice cream or chocolate with fruit is a main contributor to my losses on WW. I do not miss or crave junk when replacing with fruit. Other plans, such as South Beach, with no fruit allowed, led to late night binges within the 2 week induction. I do not eat large quantities of fruit, but would think it could limit losses if excessive. 3 or 4 bananas, apples, or oranges a day seems to be OK thus far.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I don't track 'em, but I don't go crazy eating them either. I have an apple a day (just to keep the doctor away--and 'cuz I like 'em) and usually have some vegetables too. Because tracking here in the internet-challenged world is a PITA I only track pointy stuff. I figure I don't eat enough F & Vs to really amount to much though maybe I should check out MFP and see what I'm missing.

I'm still in the 'If I'm eating F & Vs in lieu of cookies and pretzels and I'm not going hog-wild with them', I'm probably OK. Simple and easy works for me....
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,700 Member
    Options
    I also track with MFP and add F/V but I also deduct from FP. I eat more veg. than fruit.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    I track everything on MFP right now but it still amazes me how few calories there are in fruits and vegetables.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    I track everything on MFP right now but it still amazes me how few calories there are in fruits and vegetables.

I saw a picture posted of a "stomach" with 100 calories in it, the first pic was 100 calories of oils, barely visible. Second was chicken, about 1/4 full, third was veggies >>>>A FULL STOMACH.

• RedSassyPants
    RedSassyPants Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I don't track through WW anymore. It was actually when Fruit became FREE that I stopped. The New plan I am following gives me lots of certain fruits (apples) Some Strawberries and Blueberries and limited other fruits.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,968 Member
    Options
    No green thingies for me on Friday. Was at a convention in DallasTx.