Soft foods tomorrow!

Options
clcmfp
clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
You'd think with me being so over liquids and protein shakes (they're starting to make me gag) that I'd be more thrilled about soft foods tomorrow, but I think I'm scared... Will it hurt or be uncomfortable? Will I get nauseated? Will the pace drive me insane? Am I worried for nothing?

What did you eat on your first soft foods day if you remember? The surgeon said to start with greek yogurt, but I am hating sweet stuff right now, though it's at least different sweet!

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Take your time and eat very slowly! My first soft food was ricotta bake from The World According To Eggface and the vanilla custard from the site Bariatric Eating. I also made a split pea soup with ham from Skinnytaste which I blended so it would be smooth.

Lots of good luck. This is the part where you start figuring out what you will and cannot tolerate but it takes time and patience. I would also recommend getting chewable papaya enzyme if you get that feeling like something is stuck when/if you eat too quickly. That helped me a lot. You can get the papaya enzyme at Target and Wal-Mart
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    String cheese was my go-to. Went down very easy and tasted so, so good!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    You can get plain/unflavored Greek yogurt if you're tired of sweet stuff. :) It might be a welcome break. Just remember to take small bites and eat slow, and pay attention to how you're feeling (full, sick, etc). It's a learning process.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I started with yogurt I think. I was sick of sweet foods but I was more afraid of causing damage to my new stomach. I was told only try one new food per day so if I had a problem I would know which food to avoid. I think refried beans were next and they were like heaven on earth to my taste buds.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My first soft food was a scrambled egg. It was fantastic! Take it slow and you will quickly learn your 'full' signal. If I ate too fast, the 'full' signal came a couple of bites too late.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So weird to be eating again! It's gone well thus far. It's bizarre for someone who could easily eat a large pizza alone and not be full pre-surgery to have to put 3 oz of tuna salad back in the fridge because I couldn't finish it. New beginnings...
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, mashed potatoes, and blended cottage cheese w/applesauce were my go to during the soft food phase.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Mashed potatoes with melted cheese was another go to for me as well.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...mashed potatoes and melted cheese. Forgot about that.
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I put some black bean soup through the blender. I remember being so happy to eat something that didn't have a sweet taste.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Try Skinnytaste split pea with ham soup and blend it - SO good!
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You can put just about anything in the blender! All sorts of soups, Chili, chicken pot pie filling (I picked out the potatoes), etc. My go-to in that stage was puréed tomato soup or split pea with unflavored protein powder mixed in. Mushy stage my favorite was mashed black beans topped with salsa, shredded cheese, dollop of light sour cream or avocado.