KETO and Constipation?

Options

Replies

• rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say, I increased my salt intake. First, I did a boulion cube yesterday afternoon, then one this morning and I was going pretty well so the sodium advice works! I want constipated, but wasn't going as much.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    rugged1529 wrote: »
    I just started having this issue... reading through the posts, the biggest suggesting was magnesium. Should I take "magnesium" or "Magnesium citrate". Also, I am flabbergasted from the response to fiber. Too much fiber can stop you up??!?! or maybe I read that wrong...

Also, I noticed that when I ran out of my probiotics, I think that's when my constipation started....

I think i'm pretty good on salt. I usually take about 1 teaspoon of sea salt a day.

Assuming you're actually having symptoms of constipation where your gut feels heavy and/or bloated and uncomfortable and when things do move, it's difficult... not going every day or often in itself doesn't mean constipation. Just to be sure what's actually going on here...
    1 tsp sea salt, if finely ground like table salt, is 2300mg sodium. I don't know how much you get from the foods you eat, but the MINIMUM needs range from 3000-5000mg sodium every day. Your personal minimum could be 5000... if you're still having symptoms of dehydration, which constipstion is among other things, your minimum may be higher than you realize.
    Unless there's another explanation. If you've been supplementing fiber or specifically seeking high fiber foods, that may be causing it. It is a bulking agent after all

I'm not having any stomach discomfort at all; i'm just not going as much. It's not much "matter". but I still go. I drunk some magnesium citrate and it when right through me.

Looks like i would have to up my sodium. I've been doing 1 tsp of sea salt maybe every couple days and my wife don't put a lot of salt in the food. Yay I might have a solution. :)

Looks like your plumbing is working fine, you'd know if you were constipated. Pain, discomfort, bloating, straining, the feeling of trying to squeeze out a jagged rock from your backside....

LOL That mental picture is ... just not good. ;)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I just started having this issue... reading through the posts, the biggest suggesting was magnesium. Should I take "magnesium" or "Magnesium citrate". Also, I am flabbergasted from the response to fiber. Too much fiber can stop you up??!?! or maybe I read that wrong...

Also, I noticed that when I ran out of my probiotics, I think that's when my constipation started....

I think i'm pretty good on salt. I usually take about 1 teaspoon of sea salt a day.

Assuming you're actually having symptoms of constipation where your gut feels heavy and/or bloated and uncomfortable and when things do move, it's difficult... not going every day or often in itself doesn't mean constipation. Just to be sure what's actually going on here...
    1 tsp sea salt, if finely ground like table salt, is 2300mg sodium. I don't know how much you get from the foods you eat, but the MINIMUM needs range from 3000-5000mg sodium every day. Your personal minimum could be 5000... if you're still having symptoms of dehydration, which constipstion is among other things, your minimum may be higher than you realize.
    Unless there's another explanation. If you've been supplementing fiber or specifically seeking high fiber foods, that may be causing it. It is a bulking agent after all

I'm not having any stomach discomfort at all; i'm just not going as much. It's not much "matter". but I still go. I drunk some magnesium citrate and it when right through me.

Looks like i would have to up my sodium. I've been doing 1 tsp of sea salt maybe every couple days and my wife don't put a lot of salt in the food. Yay I might have a solution. :)

Looks like your plumbing is working fine, you'd know if you were constipated. Pain, discomfort, bloating, straining, the feeling of trying to squeeze out a jagged rock from your backside....

LOL That mental picture is ... just not good. ;)

I thought it well-served its intended purpose...
  • RalfLott
    edited March 2017
    Options
    up your magnesium CITRATE amount. add in MTC oil. last resort,,. eat some sugar free gummy bears or chocolates!

Oh, I forgot about those legendary über-lubrikants SF Haribo Gummi Bears!

If the poet-reviewers on Amazon are to be trusted, they are right up there among the great inventions of the 20th Century alongside rocket fuel, kryptonite, and liquid plumber.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Gummi bears!!! I am so tempted to treat the office with a pack or two....
  • RalfLott
    Options

Hahaha. Do it! >:)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Ty for the laugh! That's truly evil at it's best >:)
  • robcastle64
    robcastle64 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hot wings work for me... or anything that's a little spicy. :)
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    glaurya wrote: »
    I have been on Keto for one week and have not had constipation. Only had one day without BM but back to daily. Look up Eric Berg on YouTube. He has a lot of great info on Ketogenic diet. He suggest eating at least 7-8 cups of leafy greens daily to help with Keto flu and constipation. I haven't been able been able to hit 7-8 but eat leafy greens with every meal and I drink a low carb green smoothie in the morning.

I am more towards the carnivore Keto (very little veggies) so I know I wont be able to get in 7-8 cups of leafy veggies. And that much would put me around 9 net carbs and that's my entire day pretty much.

I have started taking magnesium and might cut back on the cheese. But I am hoping this works :)

I've added physyllum husk fiber and it is definitely making me more reg. Also add flaxseed to anything that your baking, it's carb free and full of fiber. Also water and greens.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Thanks to you, I no longer harbor the fiction that fiber is a panacea for all mammals.

I wonder how many different Official Microbiome Types we'll have when the American Gut Project wraps up its studies....
    At first I thought, "American Gut Project? What the what?", and then I read a little and I thought, "WOW! That's really neat! I'm gonna get a kit.", and then my eyes narrowed and I cast a suspicious side-long gaze at my computer screen and thought, "*kitten* you, NSA. You're not getting to me that easily."
  • RalfLott
    Options
    But you could take some pleasure in knowing what you're sending 'em, eh?
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Eat fiber in the form of vegetables. As much as you want. There is a great supplement available at Amazon named calm. It' ionized magnesium. If you're really having issues there is a probiotic at Costo called VLS3. It's about 40 bucks and refrigerated. These things will get you regular. Too much magnesium will make you go too much and not in a good way.

Good luck & I hope your feel better.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Hot wings work for me... or anything that's a little spicy. :)

menshealth.com/health/burning-butt

The science side perhaps.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    psyllium husk fiber

I used this for years. You could be a champ with epic results. Use care, though. Drink plenty of water and don't use too much. It can cause a blockage and I know this.

Cheers
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Guys... she said she is eating carnivore. Suggesting adding fiber with highly inflammatory plants and concentrated plant fibers doesn't fit her eating style.
    Take into account the persons way of eating.
    Adding fiber to a carnivore diet is the last thing you want to do.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Guys... she said she is eating carnivore. Suggesting adding fiber with highly inflammatory plants and concentrated plant fibers doesn't fit her eating style.
    Take into account the persons way of eating.
    Adding fiber to a carnivore diet is the last thing you want to do.

It may be obvious to you, but it seems like the first thing I'd want to do.... What's the problem?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I cut out Nutritional Yeast Flakes because it was high fiber and B vitams when I started Poly MVA.

I did not want it riding out the back door on the fiber or competing with the better B's in the Poly MVA.

Less fiber did not cause conspation. Maybe fiber is over rated for LCHF.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    It's probably overrated for some and underrated for others!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    "More towards carnivore" is not carnivore. Besides, the original post is a couple of months old so hopefully the problem has already been resolved.

I've not found vegetables to be highly inflammatory and ketogenic diets tend to advocate leafy greens.