BOOM. Post menopause here I am. Thank you for having me here!

Options
stit60
stit60 Posts: 27 Member
Hi. I just joined this group as I am about 4 years post menopause. I have been through a ringer too just like some of the posts here. VERY hard to lose weight. Lots of imbalances going against me. I have hypothyroid and hyperparathyroid, a low vitamin D level, insulin resistance and now on bioidentical hormones...whew. Before all of this was discovered, I was gaining all over the place in spite of a modest calorie intake and exercise. The thing I didn't realize besides my hormonal imbalances is I have to work harder and eat LESS than I could in my 40's. It's a cold shock of reality but true. I hate this but if I want the same body I had at 40, this is what I have to do. At least now, the weight can actually come off. For anyone else who has weight loss resistance, check your vitamin D levels and insulin. Now that I've started to correct these 2 things, I am starting to have more energy and hopefully, the scales will soon tip in my direction.

Replies

• stit60
    Options
    Well after thinking things over, I have decided not to weigh myself until my MFP 5 week date comes up. The reason being, I'm too scared to see each week that I having lost anything and then just quit and give up and gain more. So, I am just gunna keep logging daily food and calories and exercise and hope for the best. I hope and pray now that my vitamin D level and other hormone levels are coming up and I'm dealing with the insulin resistance, that the weight and inches will finally come off. We'll see.
  • soywoman
    soywoman Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am also 5 years into menopause and finding it very difficult to lose the weight. I am hoping getting back to logging will help. I have RA and don't feel like moving all the time! Very difficult to not be able to do the things you used to! In my mind, it's time to go...however, my body tells me differently. I like your idea of not getting on the scale. That can be very frustrating to see or not see what progress has/has not been made. Looking for suggestions! I have had my D levels checked and take a supplement. My bloodwork is pretty regular due to the medications for the RA. Thanks in advance!!
  • stit60
    Options
    Hi SW. Sorry to hear you have a painful disease. Living with chronic pain is no fun...It's hard to stay positive. I went back on my word and did a little sneak peek at the scale this morning. SHouldn't have...not an ounce lost. I figured but why am I not surprised. When one has an autoimmune disease (or several going on at the same time) the body just doesn't want to give up that extra weight...so discouraging. Oh well,, I'm here as a buddy if you need some encouragement.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yup, life is not easy.
  • soywoman
    soywoman Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    the tracking does help....except I feel like I am CONSTANTLY thinking about food!!! Vicious cycle!!! Can't wait for the warmer weather, I am hoping that it will instill some motivation!
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Menopause, because life is not hard enough without it. Yes, weight control is tough but we were all warned. We just didn't believe it. Emotion control is the killer. I realized at the cell phone store last week that I was only moments from getting arrested as I stopped myself before throwing a box across the room because the customer service rep took too long in the back. I left the store and made my husband go back because I was fantasizing about throwing cell phone covers across the room in a cussing rage. Of course, the 12 year old sales rep was no help. She acted like I had asked her for an animal sacrifice when I asked why there was so much confusion about returning a "hot spot."
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Food is a constant in my life too but it's been this way for a long time. I'm used to it.
  • msfrazzle
    msfrazzle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Would like to jump in and join this group if that's ok! Joining the ranks of post menopause and weight that won't go away! About 5 years ago lost 50 pounds....and within the past year have managed to put 20 back on--in spite of exercising, sort of eating well.....finding, however, that stress eating comes easily! Any tips, ideas, food plans etc. welcome! I've been on MFP for 5 years and have never sought out a group...this is a first for me! :)
  • CDeRuyter
    CDeRuyter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just officially past the one year mark and am returning to MFP with hat in hand. I was doing GREAT...until about 3 years ago...I've since packed back on 30+ lbs and am kicking myself in the rear.

BUT...I'm ready to hit it again with you ladies. I am heading back for my first Aqua Zumba class tomorrow afternoon. I was a crazed zumbite (4+ times a week) for over 2 years prior to my setback but the uptick of impact moves took a toll on my back. WATER HERE I COME!
  • DEB6BERREY
    DEB6BERREY Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So, question...What is everyone's daily base calorie intake now that you have hit peri-menopause/menopause? I read everywhere we should not go below 1200 calories, but my weight loss is stuck unless I am at 1000 to 1100 (without factoring in eating back some calories from exercise).
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I cycle between 2380 on strength training days and 1586 on rest days - I don't eat any additional for exercise since it's already factored into the calculation
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I am anywhere between 1300-1500 but I clearly need to either eat less or exercise more because I can't seem to lose any weight.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    1100 most days, 1400 on cardio days 6 months of that and approx 1/4 to 1/3 pound loss a week. It was too much to sustain so I've gone up to maintaining level 1450 and 1750 on cardio days. (this month, maybe for a few more before I go back to the hell of eating nothing, and starving myself for practically no loss) .

Yeh, I'm bitter and burnt out. I'm NOT quitting. I'll continue with the exercise but I'm gonna put the 'diet' on hold and take a maintenance break.