Oat Fiber...yay or nay?

Options
Hello :smile:
I am looking for a way to make low carb breads, and trying t step back from so much Almond Flour, and I came across Oat Flour.

It is seemingly 100% fiber O.O lol

Has anyone tried it?
Did you like it?
Can it be subbed cup for cup?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, personally, because it's still a grain, and grains and I aren't really on speaking terms these days.

It can't be subbed cup for cup with either wheat or almond flour. Fiber is like a sponge and soaks up a ton of water. The usual conversion of coconut flour from wheat flour, for example, is about a quarter of the flour and add about a quarter to half again the liquid ingredients (often at least one additional egg and another cup or so of water). And coconut flour is only about 2/3 fiber!

To give an idea of how to use a high-fiber flour like oat or coconut, have a look at the recipes on this site -- http://satisfyingeats.com/ . Most of the recipes have a substitute for the almond flour (often sunflower seed flour). The crunchy waffle recipe, for example (http://satisfyingeats.com/breakfast/crunchy-waffles/), uses 7/8 of a cup of almond flour and 2 tablespoons of coconut flour.

This Reddit thread gives a good explanation of the purpose of oat fiber flour -- https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/comments/17okmf/request_how_to_bake_with_oat_fiber/
  • dragonflylady94
    dragonflylady94 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I wouldn't, personally, because it's still a grain

This was exactly my thought...but it continued to pop up in so many low carb recipes, lol!!

Thank you for the links @Dragonwolf !! I will check them out :smile:

• Anaaremade
    Anaaremade Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like almost love bread and fortunately I came across this site of low carb breads, for those who don't/can't make their own bread. 10 Great Low-Carb Breads (and 1 to avoid!)
  • MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I occasionally use a tablespoon or so of oat fiber in recipes where the taste of flax would be too strong. I use it to give breads a "breadier" texture, rather than a boost to flavor. I normally use it in a mix of light flours, such as tapioca, white rice, millet, and almond.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I was JUST looking at Amazon for oat fiber

I don't miss bread, but someone posted this video the other day that makes me want to try some (calls for oat fiber)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've recently been suggested to look into gluten-free oat bran, as a resistant starch that's supposed to be great for thyroid support AND glucose control. Does anyone have experience with that?
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i used to use oatbran a few years back when i did the dukan diet, i wasnt sure if we could use it for the keto diet. would be interesting to find out becasue i loved making porridge with it.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Oh I used to love oat bran porridge!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @GillianSmith2 - My experience with this statement is that my keto isn't your keto, and what works for you may work for everyone else or no one else. The only way you would be able to know whether this will fit your keto macros is to try. I know that Dave Asprey and Chris Kressler and others have protocols out there to help you determine your upper keto carb threshold. My approach to this, if I were doing it, would be to follow a protocol and find your threshold, and if you feel confident in that number, see if your porridge works in that number and if your body reacts well to it...
  • TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Anaaremade wrote: »
    I like almost love bread and fortunately I came across this site of low carb breads, for those who don't/can't make their own bread. 10 Great Low-Carb Breads (and 1 to avoid!)

Just ordered some. I have was getting really tired of a salad every day.