Oprah.com binge article

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Thanks Aziza, I enjoyed reading the article. I don't have B.E.D. I do sometimes over eat in a way that is just comforting myself or to forget stressful situations, just like I will zone out with tv or a cup of tea in front of the computer. Some ways I can limit this comfort eating is that I don't keep cookies, large amounts of ice cream or cakes, pastries in my home. So when I do eat comfort foods it has to be a bowl of oatmeal, some greek yogurt and fruit, something like that, those foods I really can't binge on, just get full on them after a pretty reasonable amount.

I have a journal where I have written about the cycle of feelings that happen that seem to set up times where I can begin to use food in an unhealthy way. I continue to learn what drives these urges. Writing and reading this journal have given me a way of looking at myself sort of outside myself which stops my identification with only my bodily/emotional desires and allows me to get out of myself enough to be objective, see whwt I'm doing and make choices that are healthier, mentally and physically.

I appreciate what the article said about long periods of time spent restricting calories by dieting and how that can eventually lead to binging. I think this is probably true for most people even though they won't admit it!

So glad you've joined the EE group!
  • AZIZAELLAZIZA
    AZIZAELLAZIZA Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You're a sweetie ! Glad to be helpful - I have a long long long history of non-stop disordered eating, I can not be shocked, because when it comes to BED, it is a case of been there done that.
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Thanks Aziza, I enjoyed reading the article. I don't have B.E.D. I do sometimes over eat in a way that is just comforting myself or to forget stressful situations, just like I will zone out with tv or a cup of tea in front of the computer. Some ways I can limit this comfort eating is that I don't keep cookies, large amounts of ice cream or cakes, pastries in my home. So when I do eat comfort foods it has to be a bowl of oatmeal, some greek yogurt and fruit, something like that, those foods I really can't binge on, just get full on them after a pretty reasonable amount.

I have a journal where I have written about the cycle of feelings that happen that seem to set up times where I can begin to use food in an unhealthy way. I continue to learn what drives these urges. Writing and reading this journal have given me a way of looking at myself sort of outside myself which stops my identification with only my bodily/emotional desires and allows me to get out of myself enough to be objective, see whwt I'm doing and make choices that are healthier, mentally and physically.

I appreciate what the article said about long periods of time spent restricting calories by dieting and how that can eventually lead to binging. I think this is probably true for most people even though they won't admit it!

So glad you've joined the EE group!