3 Years out and depressed

Options
Hello new friends-
I had Gastric Bypass surgery 3 years ago. The first year/year and a half, I managed to lose 153 pounds but never got to my goal weight because I started to cheat erratically/fell into depression and managed to probably gain 80 lbs of that weight back. I am only three years out!! I never used my tools wisely and now I want to take this serious once more. I know my pouch still works, I feel myself still get full quickly, but the problem is I'm eating too many bad things/drinking often and it's extremely unhealthy. Today, I started my clean eating but I have a long way to go. I ordered a few products off of amazon to jump start my progress once more, but I am now here for accountability. Is there any recommendations from anyone who was in my same boat in regards to getting back on track? I would really appreciate any tips.

Thank you! =)

Replies

• jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am only 5 months out from surgery and have not experienced what you are going through, but I wanted you to know there are people here for support.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced what you are going through - and I'm only 7 months out but I love the fact that you are taking ownership and handling your business!! I started the KETO diet about 3 weeks ago and I'm loving it. It works best for me since the main focus is protein. I'm always about having new MFP friends!
  • Elyseinchi
    Elyseinchi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You've got this! You are here.. you own it... and you can go back to the basics and make it happen for you. Your post, I love too, not because of what you are going through but because it is so easy to fall back into our old habits. You can do this! We are here for you!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @eternalbadluck First off, change your user name! You're about to have "Good Luck" if you start doing right things. :) If I can make just one recommendation, cut added sugars as much as possible. There's no nutritional benefit, it's addictive and causes a whole host of health problems including weight gain. You will have withdrawals but those will disappear in a few weeks. You're back on track. Just do the right things one day at a time!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am with you. 2.5 years out, had some regain due entirely to my eating and drinking habits changing as I transitioned into maintenance and did it by changing my habits rather than just increasing calories in the same macros that made me lose.

I am getting back into the habits and behaviors that made me successful. I am much more positive in this restart than in the past, because I know the path I am taking will be successful, because it was just a couple of years ago.

Self-awareness is the best thing you have going for you. As I tell people who ask how I lost weight: It's simple, but not easy. Get back to what made you successful, and be kind to yourself along the way. Beating yourself up does no good at all.

Rob (hoping he can learn to take his own advice!)
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 yrs out, and I have a regain of 10lbs. I've been doing the Back On Track from Bariatriceating.com. 3-4 protein shakes a day and a protein dinner. I sent you a friend request :)
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I personally haven't experienced this though I am not quite a year out. I love the following sites and products:

Bariatric Eating - her manicotti and vanilla egg custard is great as are her protein shakes

Bariatric Foodie - taco casserole is awesome

The World According To Eggface - love her ricotta bake

Eat The Bear - protein shakes are great

Click - great espresso based protein shakes

Chike - love their mocha and cappuccino shakes made with real coffee. Not a fan of their other flavors

Syntrax - great protein shakes and they have a one time deal where you get 15 samples for $16.99 (includes shipping). I was amazed I like their strawberry one. Didn't taste overly sweet or artificial. They came out with a latte/cappuccino line which I can't wait to try and the cappuccino one which is a sample in the sample pack

Skinnytaste - not Bariatric specific but some really good recipes

EmilyBites - same as Skinnytaste and she makes a lot of muffin tin meals which is awesome for portion control

Good luck!
  • bmallon313
    bmallon313 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm with you too - almost 2 years out, total of 126 lost but have regained 16. I need to stop this NOW. It's so hard once you've let some bad habits back in. I am realizing that I have been kidding myself about maintenance. Thank you, @rpyle111 , for mentioning maintaining by eating more calories but within the same macro goals. That's one place I've gone off the rails. I'm getting back on the wagon today, but expecting DTs from the sugar I have allowed back in (not much, but mixed with very dark chocolate so doubly addictive for me) - thanks for that reminder @Aztec4Life.

We can do this!!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @bmallon313 Try Chocorite - they make great shakes and also have candy which is amazing. I just bought Chocoperfection bars and waiting for them to arrive. Worth checking out so you can indulge but with products geared towards us.
  • bmallon313
    bmallon313 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @jcavanna2, but I'm coming to the realization that sweets of any kind (even SF ones) are not a good thing for me. I'm truly an addict - which you can tell by the fact that I have 5 different kinds of SF chocolates in my cupboard right now. They're crowding out the vitamins! Even SF sweetness seems to turn on the cravings. The only exception I've found to that is SF drinks (Crystal Light, for example). I think I just need to put my big girl panties on and QUIT all this stuff!!
  • cmcm789
    cmcm789 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello, I too have fallen off the wagon of weight loss. I had surgery in 2013 lost 109 lbs and have gained about 30-35 lbs. Old eating bad habits, depression and using food as comfort only to then hate myself for being weak. I hope that those that are starting the journey of WLS and hearing stories from those that are years into it, LISTEN. It is hard once the honeymoon period is over. You get the hungry pangs back, think you can eat anything. WLS surgery was a gift that I don't want to throw it away, and it seems like I am. I have to get back on track but just like the old days before WLS, I am struggling. The office where I had the WLS has gone through changes and the NUT and I have not been able to connect. I feel like they are always judging me, not offering helpful suggestions. There is also a certain shame that I feel going back into the Drs. office and letting them see my weight gain. After WLS there was such confidence and pride that I was doing it and it was hard, but those gremlins :) in the head and stomach were not acting up. They are back and there is more shame and embarrassment now then even before. People know I had the surgery and find it hard to understand after such an accomplishment how I could fall back and gain the weight back and go down that slippery slide. I have a hard time understanding it myself. I need support and am having a very hard time finding it.

As with the original post "3 years out and depressed" any recommendation of help or how to get back on track would be appreciated. It seems like there are quite a few people that have gone thru WLS only to gain the weight back and there is no real support for us. Does anyone know of such a group? When I went to the WLS support groups it was all about those starting the journey, and I hate to be mean but I got tired of them complaining I can't eat 1/2 ounce of chicken or I am never hungry, I don't want to drink water. I wanted to strangle them and shout be grateful and thankful, that is how you are suppose to feel, embrace it. Because it will all change. I miss those days when I would feel so full that I didn't want to eat anymore, or when I didn't even think about food. Those days when I ate something that I shouldn't have and knew it because of the awful feeling, and yes I was grateful to throw it up. Because it did keep me in check. Those barriers are gone and I wish I had them back.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Just curious if anyone thought of joining a group like Weight Watchers? I never quit going even after surgery - no one needs to know but you meet people with weight issues, suggestions and it keeps me accountable on a weekly basis. There is the Bariatric Eating site's Back on Track plan but it will likely not keep you accountable or provide the camaraderie that you would get by going to something like WW. Just something to consider.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm also three years out. Anyone who says surgery is easy can bite me. This is hard and the work never ends. Many people do not reach out for help.

(1)reconnect with your local support group. We are also here for you.
    (2) Contact your dietician or have them mail your nutrition instructions. Get back to bariatric basics. Log food. Hit your Protein, carb, and water goals
    (3) Only worry about what you are going to do for yourself in a 24 hour period.
    (4) be active. Take the stairs, Park further away at the store, Walk. Find a workout plan.

A few things that worked for me: Feel free to message me...I can explain further.
    I set up customized macros for cutting (weight loss). Using the site below.
    https://tdeecalculator.net/

I can eat more food. I still have restriction, but it's different this far out from surgery.
    I raised my protein macro to 130g It helps me to feel full longer.
    I add a good portion of salad or vegetables with each meal. The fiber helps me to feel full
    I removed temptations from the house.
    Make a healthy list of food - Go grocery shopping!
    Find healthy alternatives for sweet and salty cravings.
    Examples:
    Salty - Beef jerky - Quest protein chips
    sweet - Sugarfree pudding with a scoop of protein powder mixed in - yogurt (dannon light n fit) with fruit. Low calorie/carb protein bars

This is my dietician's bariatric recipes website. Food can be nutritious and still taste good. Love her white chicken chili

Side note: Next to the recipes it will say OMIT rice or pasta.
    insidekarenskitchen.com/bariatric-friendly-recipes/

Wishing you the best,
    Jenn

• Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Been there! (Am there...) Surgery in Oct 2013, in first year lost 85 lbs, then gained about 35 back over then past 2 years. I have NO dumping, so slowly started to out-snack my pouch and fell out of many post-surgery habits (water, vitamins, etc). I was so bummed!

Last fall I started following a low carb/high fat/moderate protein (similar to Ketogenic, but closer to Atkins induction phase because my carbs are kept pretty low). I am back down 20 lbs - I've not been perfect, especially through the holidays. I feel great and back on track though, so far so good. The weird thing is - I'm back on track with my water, my vitamins, and I don't have sugar/carb cravings, so I am at 3 meals a day with rare snacks. I don't look for "low-carb" imitations, as they seems to stall my loss, so I'm even eating more "whole" foods. My recent blood work was all within normal ranges. Of course, I'm still learning but I'm motivated and we all know that's half the battle. :)

I'm not a Doctor, and if you tend to dump this probably would not be the right fit for you (for example, I add coconut oil and heavy cream to my decaf coffee). Also I don't know if there are adverse effects for any pre-existing medical conditions. I do have high blood pressure but it is well-controlled with meds. My recent check-up and home readings show it coming down -so there's even hope there to reduce or remove the meds eventually. I'm a carb/sugar addict, and I've had to accept that. This way of eating has almost removed any cravings, even when I'm stressed. It's easy for me to stick to.

Just putting another option out there. The surgery is a tool, I was told that, but I'm really living it now. You're not failing - you just need to do some adjustments and find the eating that is right for you. LC/HF is entirely contrary to the advice my dietician and surgeon gave me pre/post surgery...But my numbers are normal and/or improving, my general health is good, and as long as I am maintaining positive results and keeping up with those regular check ups - they told me to go for it. Don't be afraid to research and try different things to see what works for you.

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ok
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You can get back on track and start to lose again and get to your goal weight. Take it one day at a time, plan ahead and try to stick to the plan. Make a list of the foods that you let creep back in your diet, those are the kryptonite foods you need to avoid until you get things under control. I agree with someone above who said reach out to your doctor's office and ask for help. They want you to be successful and can help.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @ruqayyahsmum Congrats on your babay and for keeping over 130 lbs off! What I do (as do many others here) is I set mini goals and reward myself when I get there. Good luck - you will meet your goals, no doubt!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    ruqayyahsmum - Please don't be depressed about your regain. You were pregnant and following the advice of medical professionals to help you get through the pregnancy. Given the circumstances, you have very few options. You have a great plan, mini goals always worked for me. I divided my goal into 10-pound increments and that 10-pound goal in half so I could celebrate every 5-pounds (I like celebrations). You are back on track and making progress. Congratulations on the baby and taking control of your life.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Ive refused to go in and see the dietitian until july

She had me going in every 4 to 6 weeks and each time she would start telling me i had to go back to what i was doing when i was actively losing weight..... calorie control and running and each time i would remind her i cant run with baby and if my cals drop much from just above maintenance my milk supply drops. All i get then is a blank stare and another appointment.
    Shes even stopped bothering to get blood tests despite me being severly anemic with seriously low vitamin d and calcium..... ive snapped 2 teeth, my gp has ordered some now

Ill look into celebrations lol