My first Fast

Options
gwenmf
gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
I am just finishing my first fast today.
It started quite accidentally.

I ate breakfast Thursday. I wasn't hungry so didn't eat lunch. Wasn't hungry for dinner so didn't eat dinner. Friday morning, still not hungry....hmmm....let's see where this takes me. Mind you, I monitored my Blood Ketones during this process.

Ketones:
Thurs pm 1.0
Fri am 0.7 (hmm almost out of ketosis)
Fri evening 1.8
Sat evening 1.9
Sun evening 2.8~!

From Monday-this morning, I am down 11.2 pounds. I can't believe that and still can't believe how long I went without food or being hungry. I can't say I'm hungry now even. But I broke the fast today for personal commitments tonight involving food.

I will fast again. Not sure when or for how long.

Has anyone else completed a fast?

Replies

• AnaVerasGettingFit
    AnaVerasGettingFit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes, but only because it works better with my lifestyle (of being lazy! haha). Also check out intermittent fasting. I think what they say is this way of eating, with the added fats-- it acts as its own appetite suppressant. I am still amazed at how easy it is for me to walk by sweets and junk food that I would regularly never (90% of the time) say no to, without indulging. I try not to make NOT eating a habit, though. Just because I know myself, and that eventually I'll probably end up gorging and eating stuff I shouldn't.
  • gwenmf
    Options
    Me too. I'm actually fasting today. Will I fast again tomorrow? I dunno. I take this day by day. I know I feel better and feel more in control doing what I'm doing now. My ketones were at 1.2 last night. So I'm burning fat even without fasting. IF (Intermittent fasting for those that don't know) is pretty easy. Hoping to be healthier in all aspects by beginning of summer.

I ordered more glucose strips as well as more blood ketone strips. I plan to continue to monitor myself and find out how MY body works with what I do...that's what it's all about. We are all different and so are our bodies. Some things are pretty standard, but then there are those carve outs....you can consume 40 carbs, my body only like 23 carbs <---only an example. So it's just getting to know what works for us.

• christihubbart
    christihubbart Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am brand new to keto, what is fasting all about?
  • gwenmf
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There are many folks you can search to learn from. Some of my favorites are:
    Dr. Jason Fung - the Obesity Code & Complete Guide to Fasting (Fasting to cure Type-2 Diabetes)
    Josh Axe
    Thomas Seyfriend PhD- Cancer as a Metabolic Disease (fasting to prevent and treat cancer)
    Dominic D'Agostino - Researcher Using Ketogenic Diet and Exogenous Ketones for Cancer and Epilepsy Treatment
    Jimmy Moore (not a doctor but has lost enormous weight...definitely a great story)

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fasting+for+ketosis+dr+josh+axe&view=detail&mid=8500F10C6EDC773EB9EC8500F10C6EDC773EB9EC&FORM=VIRE

I hope this helps. If not let me know and I'll find more info to post.
  • gwenmf
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Here is another great video from Jimmy Moore. Great story of triumph and knowledge of Keto. Author of Keto Clarity, Cholesterol Clarity

https://youtu.be/sXbV0gxRfPo
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    how do you find out what your carb number is please
  • gwenmf
    Options
    your carb number or your ketone level? From what I'm doing is Ketogenic - so low carb, med protein and high fat. My nutritional goals are: Carbs 5% (about 20g), Protein 20 % and Fat 75%. Does that answer your question?
  • GillianSmith2
    Options
    you say your body only likes 23 carbs how do we find out what level our bodies will take. Im on week 5 and trying to stay below 20 as i understand this is the ketogenic goal. I do high energy burning exercise most days and have managed to continue this whilst staying under 20g of carbs so wondered if i need to stay that low or if i could go any higher? I am not using any keto monitors etc but i am losing weight.
  • gwenmf
    Options
    From what I read from Jimmy Moore, Dave Asprey, etc, I think that's something you would need to experiment with to find out what your body likes because everyone is different.
  • GillianSmith2
    Options
    ok thank you