Incredible Words...

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
I know I tend to share words that really speak to me, whether from awesome friends here or elsewhere, or something I just happen across, but these words right here, they changed something in me. I can't exactly even explain what or why, but I wanted to share them with you...

@mmultanen shared three things in her post, but this was the most important one for me, about what she learned along her journey to health...

"The food is always ALWAYS there. Very rarely in life do you encounter a food that if you don't eat it RIGHT NOW you'll never have the opportunity to try it/taste it/ experience it again. If you are in a foreign country in some grandma's kitchen and she's making you the most carby, sugary, delicious thing EVER and she has the only recipe and is the only one who can make it BY ALL MEANS EAT THE DAMN FOOD. However, that is a once in a life time experience. The pizza and chips I love, yeah. I can get those whenever I want. So, I need to choose each and every time: Do I want this right now? if not, I know where to find it and can get it when I do it's not going away. This has been incredibly powerful for me. I'm not saying NO to food, I'm evaluating food and why I'm eating it."

Replies

• AZIZAELLAZIZA
    AZIZAELLAZIZA Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3<3
  • branbuds
    branbuds Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Well said
  • mae918
    mae918 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I think this all the time and still usually choose to indulge....Good reminder to make the effort to say no!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @mae918 - That is something I struggle with greatly. I'm generally a pretty logical person, and I know most of the logical arguments, but when I'm in, for lack of a better phrase, the "binge fugue," I can't be bothered with logic. I try to logic myself, and I just rationalize it away, brush it off, and embrace the binge, because to do otherwise results in physical discomfort. The mental feelings of shame and regret, embarrassment and the lot, those come afterward. But the compulsion that drives me to binge eat swats away logic like the annoying mosquito swarm. I don't WANT to be swayed from my binge. There is a certain comfort and consistency in the binge... I can't find the words to convey what I mean here. I don't know if it is the binge overriding my brain, but once the binge feeling starts, it's almost like I go out on a romantic date with it; I set the scene, romanticize it, make it dramatic, and expect fulfillment or some nonsense. Trying to FORCE logic on my brain in that fugue loop is almost as frustrating as seeing the binge coming and being fully paralyzed, unable to avoid it. I've had a few things that can disrupt that fugue signal, but nothing with 100% efficacy - or that works every single time...
  • mae918
    Options
    I'm sorry I just saw this response. I have had some intense anxiety in the last week and a half (dealing with some stuff with my bf and his mom being sick). This level of anxiety used to have a direct correlation with bingeing and somehow I am managing not to.. but what you wrote about being paralyzed by the binge completely resonates with me -- I have somehow shifted from diving in, but I always always feel I am one poor decision away from bingeing with food or anything else. My father died because of his addiction and I am aware of that every time I over-do ANYTHING (I don't do any drugs though..And have always stayed away because I watched what he went through so that is the silver lining of his addiction, I suppose). It fascinates me to think about all of this...And how we each experience our addictions... The thing I repeat over and over again that has helped me is to have forgiveness and kindness for ourselves. Our inner voice is the most important thing, in my opinion. I believe that little by little, our self-talk will help guide us to eventually figure out better coping and ways of avoiding the binge. Maybe because we need to learn to trust ourselves and THAT loving voice and then maybe we will believe that that food will be there for us another time and we CAN say no right now... Idk..I'm always searching. I'm going to think on this perspective some more. Hugs hugs hugs to you!!
  • itsallgood803
    itsallgood803 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    @mae918
    That's the main thing that I struggle with...learning to change my inner voice from such a negative perspective to a loving one. I feel like I am so much crueler to myself than anyone else has ever been. I'm constantly battling my own thoughts and trying to treat myself the same way I treat others. I don't know why that's such a daunting task. It's easy for me to be kind to my loved ones or to strangers...however when it comes to myself, I am relentless.
  • mae918
    Options
    @itsallgood803
    Every single time a negative thought about yourself​ comes to mind, combat it to try to hear your inner voice say "STOP" and then something positive and kind. It can be as simple as, "I know you are trying." There is so much importance in the efforts we make and maybe that is all we can congratulate ourselves for sometimes. Maybe start there. You can also visualize a stop sign or the word spelled out. You don't have to talk to yourself out loud, but hear your voice in your thoughts. It takes so much time to reprogram how we talk to ourselves and I struggle with it sometimes still, but just start with the effort of trying and forgiving yourself each time. That's a pretty big task just as it is. I think you'll find that if you're persistent with that for a while, you'll start hearing other positive things, too.