Genepro and digestive "issues"

Options
pneschich
pneschich Posts: 325 Member
I'm 5 weeks post sleeve I have used genepro twice. Both times the next day I have had diarrhea. Aside from the fact that their 30 grams of protein is highly questionable has anyone has any issues with it?

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it. If your having diarrhea then probably not best to be consuming. I had sleeve too. 5 weeks out I was eating regular foods. Try and steer clear of processed stuff.
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've used it for over a year with no issue. Do you have any issues with dairy? Genepro Musclegen is whey isolate protein powder derived from milk. There is nothing else in it. However, unlike most everyone else who was constipated post surgery, I had diarrhea/soft stool for several weeks. So not everyone gets constipated (be glad!).

There is nothing questionable about the Genepro product. Lots of people are bashing but not doing their own research. I vetted it out last year. The makers do not claim a serving has 30 actual grams of protein but rather they claim that the way they micronize their protein molecules, they absorb at the equivalent of 30g. It's all in the technology of how they process the protein (they say their molecules are much smaller than traditional protein powder). It could all be BS but what I do know is 1) their unflavored whey protein taste is barely detectable so I can actually tolerate it 2) one serving is only a Tbsp vs 1/4 cup like most other protein powders and 3) it actually dissolves and doesn't deteriorate in hot beverages and foods (I am sure the smaller serving size helps here as well). If protein tastes terrible and makes icky lumps in my drink I'm not going to drink it no matter how many grams of protein it has!
  • Elyseinchi
    Elyseinchi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have not had any issues with the Genepro - in fact, it helped me to start losing again which of course is welcome! I add it to yogurt or cottage cheese or soup and it works great. I will tell you that I had issues when I was drinking the isopure / isotech drinks.... they have 40 grams of protein in them and they are not in powder form) ... I had terrible diarrhea from those so I quite drinking them. Good luck. Keep looking for things that work best for you. I know that as @Aztec4Life says .. its better to eat the real food, but as we still cannot always get enough real food in, it helps with a good boost of protein. Do you ever drink the premier protein drinks?
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    @Elyseinchi I'm on puréed for another week. I have only been eating dinner as purée. I usually have a protein shake for breakfast and lunch. I have a Atkin's lift too so I'm pretty good on protein by the end of the day. On the weekends I'm experimenting with more meals but not close on protein. I'm still trying to figure out how to get enough protein when I go to soft food. I guess I'm still going to have a shake or a lift to supplement.
    @robin628 I bought it I'm trying it and I do have mixed feelings after reading the label more carefully. I don't want to argue about the claim that 30 g of protein can come from 15 grams of product. It works, I want to be able to use it. I would rather not have to but in the five short weeks since surgery I know I need 85-100g to make it through the day.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    For soft stage check out the Ricotta Bake on The World According To Eggface and Vanilla Custards from Bariatric Eating. You may also want to look at the taco casserole on Bariatric Foodie. I also ate mashed potatoes with some melted cheese on it. Others have spoken about re-fried beans or mashing beans...also hummus. Good luck!
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The old saying "You can't fit 10lbs of *kitten* in a 5lb bag" seems appropriate. The wording is dubious at best. 15 grams of protein is 15 grams. It doesn't magically become 30 grams.

If they claimed that other brands of protein were unable to be absorbed properly, making only 15 grams of 30 actually absorbable, I would be more keen to not call BS. But the deceptive wording would have you believe that 15 grams of Genepro protein magically becomes 30. That's just not the case.

This of course has no bearing on the taste quality of the product.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    pneschich wrote: »
    I'm 5 weeks post sleeve I have used genepro twice. Both times the next day I have had diarrhea. Aside from the fact that their 30 grams of protein is highly questionable has anyone has any issues with it?

I wouldn't use it. Diarrhea can lead to dehydration. You need to avoid that altogether.
  • Robin628
    Options
    One thing to note is that this soon after surgery, anything or nothing special at all could be causing your gastrointestinal distress. You are going to be adding and eliminating foods all the time. You will find some things you ate before surgery without issue have now become no-way foods and then one day they are ok again.

Are you using artificial sweeteners? Some artificial sweeteners can cause gastrointestinal distress. Personally I can't drink anything with saccharin or aspartame. The only one I can use is Stevia. Just something to think about it!

Agreed, I don't want to argue about Genepro either. I just suggest any naysayers do their homework first before bashing it is all. :) Everyone needs to figure out what works for them. I'm 15 months out so I no longer use it on a regular basis but it was the only protein powder I liked/tolerated. Looking at the ingredients list nothing seems like it would cause distress unless you may have developed a sensitivity to one of them since surgery which is totally possible!
    Protein Blend (Instantized Peptide Whey, Hydrolyzed Whey & Genetic Hexapeptide Protein), Enzyme Complex (Amylase, Protease, Cellulase, Beta-D-Galactosidase), BCAA Blend (Leucine, Valine, Isoleucine), Hexapeptide Multi-Strand Amino Complex (Proprietary Blend), L-Glutamine

• Robin628
    Options
    The old saying "You can't fit 10lbs of *kitten* in a 5lb bag" seems appropriate. The wording is dubious at best. 15 grams of protein is 15 grams. It doesn't magically become 30 grams.

If they claimed that other brands of protein were unable to be absorbed properly, making only 15 grams of 30 actually absorbable, I would be more keen to not call BS. But the deceptive wording would have you believe that 15 grams of Genepro protein magically becomes 30. That's just not the case.

This of course has no bearing on the taste quality of the product.

Actually that is exactly what they do claim. The package states the equivalent of 30g of protein based on absorption rates. They claim the smaller molecules of their protein has a 94% absorption rate vs. 31% of traditional whey protein. Of course whether this is true or not, who knows! All I know is Its easier for me to add 1 Tbsp vs 1/4 cup scoop of powder in my drinks. B)
  • Elyseinchi
    Elyseinchi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Either way - we all use what works best for us. If it doesn't work for you, don't use it. If you are able to get all your protein in using "real" food... fantastic! If anything you use makes you sick or having bad effect - don't use it. Everyone has to do what is best for them.