Question about nuts and seeds

Options
pili90
pili90 Posts: 302 Member
Hello! I'm new to the group. I'm doing a low carb, not quite keto, by the suggestion of my doctor. I have a stubborn prediabetes and I'm overweight, but this diet is mostly to control my insulin and blood sugar, at least for me. Not quite keto because when I tried it, following all the rules, I ended up getting sick for weeks, not just the typical keto flu, but actually not being able to digest. We have been trying to find what would be the best % for me.

One suggestion he made was to eat more nuts and seeds, since they have fats, but they don't make me feel ill. I was wondering what types should I look into?

All the help would be appreciated. :)

Replies

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    The kind that you like. I shop at Sams and purchase almonds, pecans, pinenuts, and walnuts from the baking aisle so they are saltness. I mix in pre shelled pistachios and they add enough salt for the lot. Purchase more of the kind that you like.

What kind of fruit do you enjoy? YOu can purchase dried fruit like apricots, cherrys, cranberries, mango, and prunes because they last forever.

Oranges last a long time too.

I LOVE pears but they go bad quickly.

I'll eat bananas.

Add this roughage slowly because it makes you poo.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Peanuts, brazil nuts, walnuts, pistachios.
  • pili90
    Options
    Thanks! I'm still new to this whole thing, that's why I wanted to ask, maybe there was a "forbidden" kind or something.

I enjoy all fruits, I'll look into dried fruits as well, thanks! I can eat one portion of fruit a day, plus all the carbs from different salads I like.

Ps: The doggie is gorgeous!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Depending on how many carbs you eat a day, you might want to watch the intake of cashews because they have a much higher carb/fat ratio than most nuts, but other than that, just eat the ones that you enjoy eating (and can control yourself around).
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited March 2017
    Options
    pili90 wrote: »
    Thanks! I'm still new to this whole thing, that's why I wanted to ask, maybe there was a "forbidden" kind or something.

I enjoy all fruits, I'll look into dried fruits as well, thanks! I can eat one portion of fruit a day, plus all the carbs from different salads I like.

Ps: The doggie is gorgeous!

Just watch out for quantity. Personally, I can go through several lbs. of nuts in a short time and it adds up.

PS: He's a cat, not a dog.

PPS: Unless you are talking about that other profile pic. And those dried fruits will add up in carbs fast.
  • pili90
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I see, ok nuts I can control the quantities and not go over it, perfect!I don't care too much for cashews, so all good!

Ps: My bad, still, I like it. He looks huge, that's why I thought otherwise...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Also, be careful if you happen to buy any seeds or nuts that have any type of processing. I once was traveling and inadvertently bought some nuts with a glaze of some sort. The nutrition facts shows something like 1g carbs (sugar) per oz., but my BG reacted as though it was a whole lot more than that. Within a short time, my BG was nearly 400.
  • pili90
    Options
    Wow, I already became a reading ninja, but since I eat mostly unprocessed food I've been lucky. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into that as well!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    One thing to be careful of is some nuts are roasted in some type of veg oil which is not going to be good for you. Raw is best.

As was mentioned above, the biggest struggle for many of us is volume because nuts are so easy to overeat. I have dramatically limited my nut intake lately just because I was routinely downing 1500 + calories worth at a time.

From a seed standpoint, I really like pumpkin seeds. Unlike sunflower seeds, you can eat the whole thing and not just the kernel although some people only eat the kernel. I believe the outer portion is mostly fiber, so it shouldn't hurt anyone regardless of carb level.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    We avoid having most nuts around because one son has a serious allergy to most tree nuts but I do eat almonds, peanuts, chia and flax seeds.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think raw cashews are better than roasted ones.
    But I can eat as many of any kind of nut or seed u put in front of me :(.
    I had to start making myself look at # of calories on bags while in stores so I don't buy them :)
  • pili90
    Options
    Dried fruit is also high in sugars. A single prune has just as much sugar as a fresh plum, but the temptation with dried fruits is to snack on them. you might go through four or five dried apricots for example, but it's unlikely you'd eat four or five fresh ones in one go, if you see what I mean. So take care, if you're 'pre-diabetic' the sugars may not be your friend....

I haven't thought about that, I can only have one piece of fruit a day, so thanks, I'll keep this in mind! Thanks for all the suggestions and tips :)

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Even with the support and guidence of your Dr, check out the launch pad here in the group for good info!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Costco has affordable macadamia nuts. We eat those often now. Sunflower seeds are good too and readily available, just watch out for any flavoring additives if you don't eat the raw ones.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    pili90 wrote: »
    I can only have one piece of fruit a day.

Be sure to read the ingredients listed on packaging for dried fruit too. Often dried fruit has granulated sugar added to it making it even higher in sugars and carbs to begin with. Although it is possible ti find it, It can sometimes be difficult to find dried fruit with no extra added sugar.

With respect to fresh fruit, those of use who do follow this way of eating often times stick with small portions (2-4 ounces, maybe 6 ounces if you have a higher carb allowance or carb tolerance) of berries like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc. because many, though not all, berries tend to be lower in carbs and sugars as compared to other fruits.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Mac nuts, walnuts, pistachios, Brazil nuts, and pecans have the best macros for LCHF. A serving of Brazil nuts has the selenium you need if your thyroid is low too. As has already been mentioned, be very careful with the dried fruit, I could easily eat 10 dried mangos or a whole pineapple, lol. Banana chips are always sweetened when dried just adding extra sugar. Also you may be adversely affected by the sulphur most dried fruit is treated with.