Rejoining program after shin splints

Hi folks! Looking for some advice.

I've been following C25k since the new year. Two weeks ago I got shin pain during a run and have been taking a rest from running since then. The pain never got severe and has now cleared up, though I'm still needing plenty of stretching for tightness in my shins. I'm hoping to start running again next weekend, provided I'm still pain free.

My question is what point should I start again at?

My last run was Wk6 Day2. I suspect my shin splints were due to doing too much too fast and running on concrete, so I plan to try running on grass and make sure to take enough rest days. I want to make sure I take it easy and don't reinjure myself, but I'm struggling with really wanting to get back to it!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I go back a few weeks in the program?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    After a 2 week break, you will likely have to drop back some.

I hear foam rolling is good for the shins. Sorry I'm not more helpful.
  • agrima27
    agrima27 Posts: 13 Member
    I used to get these a lot. I found out that I needed different shoes with better arch supports. I would start off slow and if it is too easy, move to the next week until you find it a little challenging.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    I suffered with shin splints on and off for the last couple of years. Nearly always got them when running after successfully completing C25K 2years ago and then putting a lot of weight (back) on. But I also get them from walking uphill, too quickly, or too stridefully (Idc if that's not a word).

I tried changing my shoes after the first few times I got them when running, and it didn't make a bit of difference. Tried dropping the pace (not that there was much to drop) and didn't change anything.
    So after spending nearly a year without even trying to run, I did some research and it could be because I walk like a duck, so I'm working on fixing that this month, and from 1st May I'm planning to start C25K again.

I would recommend checking your form if you get shin splints as well. Make sure you're not going too quickly or striding out too much, and you're wearing appropriate shoes. But if that fails, it could be that you're a bit ducklike.
  • kdeclerq
    kdeclerq Posts: 65 Member
    I got them really badly when I started the program. I found I needed to A) retrain my body to run and B) get new shoes with better support. Also make sure to do a series of stretches prior to running. I need to really stretch out my calves before I do a run to avoid shin splints. When I came back, I started 1-2 weeks before where I left off. I would suggest starting slow, and then in a week or two if you think you can return to where you left off, go for it! But definitely look at your shoes!