New to the disease.

Tinalu69
Tinalu69 Posts: 13 Member
Hey everyone! My name is Tina. I was just diagnosed with Type 2 June 2, 2016. I have knowledge of the disease (family history and boyfriend with Type 2 also), but still scares the hell outta me. Looking for a few pals new also to this. Hope to get to know you! :)

Replies

• LisaMarie2017
    LisaMarie2017 Posts: 7 Member
    hello,I just got my diagnosis earlier this month, I have to go to diabetes class on November 1st, then was told, I would start tracking my BG then ..

my fasting number was 261, my a1c was 10.3%
    my doctor wants me down to 7% in January or I will go on insulin, right now, I am taking metformin, tradjenta and glimepiride, also take b/p meds (ya I am a mess)

I am 37, married, no kids

would love to be friends, if you like .. I am just winging it right now, hopefully the class, helps
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    CoffeeandHumblePie Posts: 139 Member
    Hi, I have been pre-diabetic for several years but my numbers are creeping up and I have several family members with Type 2 - sadly, we've lost 2 of them. I'm finally taking this seriously and will hopefully prolong progression. I have found amazing support at a website called diabeticconnect.com. I highly recommend checking them out! Best wishes to you!
  • CJHoffmeier
    CJHoffmeier Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks! I will look it up.
  • kymmit
    kymmit Posts: 13 Member
    Just wanted to offer some encouragement. I was diagnosed in June with a 9.9% a1c. I eliminated sugar (<5 g per meal) and greatly reduced my carbs. I went back for a follow up in November and my a1c was 5.7%. I also started walking, specifically following lunch, and that has really improved my bg readings. You can do this!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    kymmit wrote: »
    Just wanted to offer some encouragement. I was diagnosed in June with a 9.9% a1c. I eliminated sugar (<5 g per meal) and greatly reduced my carbs. I went back for a follow up in November and my a1c was 5.7%. I also started walking, specifically following lunch, and that has really improved my bg readings. You can do this!

Fantastic! Any updated progress to report?
  • RalfLott
    Hi, I have been pre-diabetic for several years but my numbers are creeping up and I have several family members with Type 2 - sadly, we've lost 2 of them. I'm finally taking this seriously and will hopefully prolong progression. I have found amazing support at a website called diabeticconnect.com. I highly recommend checking them out! Best wishes to you!

I just looked at this site - front and center was a recipe for a peach desert with sugar added. :s
    http://www.diabeticconnect.com/diabetic-recipes/general/6293-low-carb-peach-crisp

I think I smell a gushing revenue stream from pharmaceutical companies......
  • kymmit
    kymmit Posts: 13 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »

I don't think my next a1c is until later this spring, but my fasting numbers (which have always been my worst) have improved dramatically since I doubled down on exercise. I'm now either walking for an hour a day or doing intervals on the recumbent bike at the gym for 45 minutes - 5 times a week. My fasting number is now around 100-110, which it had been around 150-160. Not losing much in terms of weight, which I can't understand and find very frustrating, but it's doing good things for my heart and blood sugar which is what I'm focusing on.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott wrote: »

I don't think my next a1c is until later this spring, but my fasting numbers (which have always been my worst) have improved dramatically since I doubled down on exercise. I'm now either walking for an hour a day or doing intervals on the recumbent bike at the gym for 45 minutes - 5 times a week. My fasting number is now around 100-110, which it had been around 150-160. Not losing much in terms of weight, which I can't understand and find very frustrating, but it's doing good things for my heart and blood sugar which is what I'm focusing on.

Great!

If it's any consolation, our dumb scales don't provide insights on how body composition has improved....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10415166/scale-why-should-i-dump-thee-let-me-count-the-ways
  • nadia_1982
    nadia_1982 Posts: 3 Member

Congrats! I learned I'm diabetic a week ago (9.9% a1c), and dramatically reduced my total carb intake per day to 20-30 g net. I was encouraged by a lot of success stories of diabetics who saw great improvements in their number after going on a LCHF diet.