Emotional eating

Options
I know LCHF is the right/best/healthiest WOE. I try and try again.. and fail to stick to it. So I am looking to figure out why and how to fix it.
I found this article very insightful.
https://helpguide.org/articles/diet-weight-loss/emotional-eating.htm

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Good article. :)

Just keeo at it. Eventually it gets easier and it becomes your base diet rather than he diet you are trying. I go away from LCHF every once in a while for a meal or a day but I always come back because it it the way I eat now. KWIM?
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I guess I feel the need to point out that "I know LCHF is the right/best/healthiest WOE" is not really true. It is absolutely the best *for some people* and most people could stand to cut back on carbs, and probably everyone might feel better on it, but there really is no one "healthiest" way to eat for everyone. Its about finding out what is right for you, that your body responds well to, and that you can keep up with. For some people, that is not LCHF... For me, it is not LOW carb and HIGH fat but LOWER carb and HIGHER fat than I used to eat... but not necessarily down to the levels people on this board might eat.

If you have such a hard time sticking to this WOE, why not try modifying your "normal" way of eating a little at a time... I.e if you kept track for a week eating the way you did before trying this and your average carbs were 250g and your average fat was 50g... Spend a week trying to hit 200g carb and 75g fat. If that seems doable after a week, change them again. At some point, you may find that your weight is responding and you find it pretty easy... no need to keep going down in carbs or up in fat if that is the case!

Emotional eating is different though, and will sabotage just about any WOE... so definitely need to deal with that separately. Think of it as self-harming ... if you were "cutting" yourself when emotional it would be obviously a problem, but many people dont realize they are doing the same thing with food. Handling your emotions as a separate concern is definitely something to address...
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I've found the "HalfSize Me" podcast to be helpful with the emotional aspects. She comes at weight loss from a very different perspective, one of acceptance, and focuses on how to continue with your plan even on bad days with emotional eating. She isn't specific to any one diet plan or eating style.
  • riella25
    riella25 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    mjc718 wrote: »
    The prior poster trying to debunk the article has made me emotional and now I want to go eat something. Thanks a lot.

I'm kidding.

I am a stress eater and it did not stop until I found other ways to manage stress. Ways that did involve a drive through window or a large container of sugar-based foods. Deep ketosis played a huge roll in it as well. Minimal appetite and cravings went a long way to allow me to find other avenues of stress relief.

Would you care to share some of the ways you now cope without eating. I still find it hard to find ways to cope and use food.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I think I still stress eat sometimes but I have found in ketosis my high stress level is maybe 5% of it when I was killing myself on high carbs. I just stick with LCHF macro. If I go crazy and eat a pound of nuts no real damage other than to the billfold. :)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way: All Eating could be described as 'emotional'.
    Every single 'drama' programme on TV, at some point during the episode, is likely to include someone eating something, at some point.
    Eating with the family is often a cause for happy celebration, and ways to celebrate anything, be they anniversaries, birthdays, or festivals, involves 'food'.

Three of the biggest Biblical Miracles or occasions, centre round food: Christ's first miracle at Caana, was at a wedding feast.
    He fed the 5000 with loaves and fishes; and the last supper was his final gathering with his A team....
    So Food IS MAJOR. Nothing in life, happens without it.

So next time you feel like snacking, bingeing or eating emotionally, ask yourself first: What am I celebrating?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Sorry.... meant to add (had to stop to take Hubby to work!)

...If you don't have anything specific to celebrate, decide that you're going to do something wonderful, at some point in the next hour or so.
    Wait.
    Anticipate.
    Enjoy something lovely, comfortable, worthy and delightful.
    Then, 'celebrate' it with something that you know you can eat.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    riella25 wrote: »
    [

Would you care to share some of the ways you now cope without eating. I still find it hard to find ways to cope and use food.

I know you weren't asking me, but I will respond with some of my experience.

I overate from habit and because it was associated with events - men's breakfast, donuts at coffee hour, a Snickers bar when getting groceries, etc. I tended to snack in the office and justified it by saying that the trail mix was "healthy." I had a lot of habits to relearn.

I started a diet in January 2016 that involved eliminating snacks, sweets and seconds except on Sundays. I tried to work on portion size. I relearned some habits. I lost 40 pounds on the doctor's scales and everything.

When I started the LCHF in October of 2016, I was motivated by a T2D diagnosis. I logged everything to figure out what I was doing, and I tried to substitute the snacking for coffee with heavy cream and some peanuts. I cut out the donuts. I changed my order at men's breakfast (harder than you might think - it was a long-standing order - waitresses had to be retrained). I pretty much managed to hit the macros, but weight loss hit a plateau. I managed to stick with the LCHF through the holidays, but calorie intake was high, and I was not losing any weight.

I set a lower calorie goal with the LCHF macros, and by this time, I had pretty much reestablished some new patterns of behavior. Hunger is controlled well these days. I am staying under the calorie goal almost every day. Weight is coming off at the blistering rate of about a pound a week.

The primary goal with the LCHF was reining in the glucose levels. The woe has been almost miraculous there. Weight loss is a secondary goal. I am pretty motivated.

I am not sure if any of that helped...

• AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    (I am going to have to learn all these Acronyms... Woe, to me, is a pretty sad emotion...)

I looked it up.
    Way Of Eating. Ok, up to speed now.... :D
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    (I am going to have to learn all these Acronyms... Woe, to me, is a pretty sad emotion...)

I looked it up.
    Way Of Eating. Ok, up to speed now.... :D

I had to look that one up too when I first started here at the forum.

• AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I'm sure there will be many more as I go along...!
  • mjc718
    mjc718 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    riella25 wrote: »
    mjc718 wrote: »
    The prior poster trying to debunk the article has made me emotional and now I want to go eat something. Thanks a lot.

I'm kidding.

I am a stress eater and it did not stop until I found other ways to manage stress. Ways that did involve a drive through window or a large container of sugar-based foods. Deep ketosis played a huge roll in it as well. Minimal appetite and cravings went a long way to allow me to find other avenues of stress relief.

I started by finding a couple of hobbies that I enjoy doing. When I feel that stress rather than heading to the kitchen I go participate in my hobbies. That has helped quite a bit as it keeps me busy and changes my focus. Another thing I have begun to do, especially when I am stressed, is exercise. I do not believe exercise is an essential part of weight loss, but I do believe it is very beneficial for health and stress management. Finally I have found that a little meditation goes a long way with stress. I don't mean meditation like sitting in a room with incense chanting. I mean just tuning out the world for a bit and thinking through things. I find more often than not that what is stressing me out is either out of my control or it just not worth stressing over. We often magnify stressors in our lives, but we can also minimize them. Spending some time with me has been very helpful.
  • riella25
    riella25 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    thanks for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated .
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Adult coloring books, knitting, drawing/doodling, giving yourself a manicure with polish, all keep your hands busy so you can think thru your emotions without mindless feeding. I've always loved really detailed colouring books and investing in actual professional art colouring pencils... It makes a difference in the results and it gives me a sense of accomplishment too.