new here, question about macros

Options
Lunarbeanie
Lunarbeanie Posts: 107 Member
Hi all,
I'm 1 month post, and the weight loss has slowed, to 2ish pounds a week. (I loved how fast it came off at the beginning but I wish it would keep going)

How many calories are you eating a day? How many grams of protein/carbs/fat per day?

Thanks!

Replies

• jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. I am 14 weeks out from surgery and I constantly lose 2 lbs a week. It is exciting to me that I'm not gaining. It adds up quickly. I am eating 800 - 1000 calories per day. I try to stay under 80 grams of carbs per day and over 60 grams of protein. I'm not ask strict or tlwarch my fat since I don't eat anything high in fat. My new stomach doesn't tolerate anything high in fat. During week 3 I actually didn't lose a single pound. Best of luck.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is fantastic! The goal is not to lose it as quickly as possible, but to relearn how to eat while it continues to come off.

That being said, I'd strongly suggest going to http://barifit.com/ for help with macros. Tosha and her team are fantastic!
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I agree that 2 lbs is great. I allow myself 1200 calendars a day but everyone is different so would recommend speaking to your surgeon or nutritionist for what they want your macros to be. I aim for 80-90 g/protein per my nutritionist and 69-70g/carbs. Personally I think they may need to be tweaked since I exercise pretty hard and I find I go over my carbs. Good luck!
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm almost five months post-op and I typically lose 2lbs. per week and have since month two. I eat on average 1250 calories per day. Some days more, some days less.

I've never worried myself with the macros. I aim for 80 grams of protein daily minimum and keep my intake of carbs low by avoiding bread and rice (I do eat a bit of pasta here & there). Follow it up with at least 64oz of fluids a day, some walking and kettlebell exercises and I'm good.
  • Lunarbeanie
    Lunarbeanie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I appreciate the support.
    I was worried. I was reading about people eating like 600 calories a day and under 30gr of carb.
    I'm 5 weeks, and I'm excising on my elliptical, and burning about 400 calories per workout. But I'm eating about 900 calories. I figure that was ok, but when reading about others, I starting panicking!
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I appreciate the support.
    I was worried. I was reading about people eating like 600 calories a day and under 30gr of carb.
    I'm 5 weeks, and I'm excising on my elliptical, and burning about 400 calories per workout. But I'm eating about 900 calories. I figure that was ok, but when reading about others, I starting panicking!

I'm 7 months post op and most days I don't eat more than 600 calories/day. I stay under 30 g of carbs a day unless I'm stalling. After I break the stall, I go back to less than 30. Follow your program's advice and be patient. I barely lost any weight the first 2-3 months after surgery.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Wow, 7 months out and 600 calories?
  • sexygatubela77
    Options
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    Wow, 7 months out and 600 calories?

Yes! And I count everything, so it's pretty accurate. I eat mostly protein and fat so that fills me up pretty quickly, hence the low calorie count. It's been working for me; most weight loss has been from fat, not muscle. I've lost on average of one pound of muscle for every 6 lbs of fat; the average is 1:3.
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    Yes! And I count everything, so it's pretty accurate. I eat mostly protein and fat so that fills me up pretty quickly, hence the low calorie count. It's been working for me; most weight loss has been from fat, not muscle. I've lost on average of one pound of muscle for every 6 lbs of fat; the average is 1:3.

How do you know the fat vs muscle you've lost?

• Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 months out and average 1100 calories a day. My weight loss varies from week to week. It's definitely slowed down but with my work outs I know that I'm losing inches because I'm dropping sizes like crazy.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    And I guess I should add - I follow a Keto diet and eat less than 20 net carbs per day. So my macros goal is 5% carbs, 55% fat, and 40% protein. It always varies but right now it's what has worked for me.
  • NicoleL874
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The only way I know to see fat/muscle build/loss is a dexascan. Did you do that? @sexygatubela77
  • sexygatubela77
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »

How do you know the fat vs muscle you've lost?

Body composition analysis with my doctor every few months.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @sexygatubela77 If that is what's working for you then stick to it. We all need to find the right combinations of food to lose/maintain a healthy body. I saw from your other post you cut out sugar. I think one f the few things virtually everyone can agree on is, the less refined sugars the better!
  • sexygatubela77
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    @sexygatubela77 If that is what's working for you then stick to it. We all need to find the right combinations of food to lose/maintain a healthy body. I saw from your other post you cut out sugar. I think one f the few things virtually everyone can agree on is, the less refined sugars the better!

@Aztec4Life
    You asked the question about how cutting out sugar has worked for others health wise and I gave you my honest answer. It has helped with my degenerative neurological disease. If you didn't find my response useful, then toss it and move on. I don't think it was much different from what you had posted or the responses others gave you.