KETO and Constipation?

Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Guys... she said she is eating carnivore. Suggesting adding fiber with highly inflammatory plants and concentrated plant fibers doesn't fit her eating style.
    Take into account the persons way of eating.
    Adding fiber to a carnivore diet is the last thing you want to do.

It may be obvious to you, but it seems like the first thing I'd want to do.... What's the problem?

Someone eating carnivore doesn't want fiber. Or hey wouldn't be eating carnivore.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Guys... she said she is eating carnivore. Suggesting adding fiber with highly inflammatory plants and concentrated plant fibers doesn't fit her eating style.

I don't see where they said that. If someone is constipated vegetable fiber helps. If it's inflammatory, and you don't it work out in a few days, a trip to the doctor might be needed. Eat less fiber, no doctor ever said, to a person with a healthy digestive system. If you have diverticular disease or IBS or something, by all means. But when you recover, increased fiber is a good idea.
  • fatblatta
    Options
    Also. There are food allergies and food tolerance issues. These are different. I know a guy that is allergic to mammal meat. He claims he got bit by a tic and caught it. Some folks can't have dairy or eggs or nuts. It's certainly possible that people could have allergies and food tolerance issues with certain vegetables. But I 100% believe our bodies were made to have vegetable fiber in our guts.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

It may be obvious to you, but it seems like the first thing I'd want to do.... What's the problem?

Someone eating carnivore doesn't want fiber. Or hey wouldn't be eating carnivore.

Ah, I got it. It's the definition of "carnivore." I didn't realize what the, er, beef was. :*
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »

I don't see where they said that. If someone is constipated vegetable fiber helps. If it's inflammatory, and you don't it work out in a few days, a trip to the doctor might be needed. Eat less fiber, no doctor ever said, to a person with a healthy digestive system. If you have diverticular disease or IBS or something, by all means. But when you recover, increased fiber is a good idea.

You're stating this as a blanket statement. I can't eat fiber. Neither can many others.
    It's not a matter of opinion that fiber is inflammatory. That's how it works through the intestines. Creating mucous from inflammation. Info was linked earlier in the thread. Lots of people tolerate it without enough issue to ever notice. But I can tell you last thing I'd put into a backed up system is more solid, inflammatory material. If your toilet won't flush, you don't shove in more toilet paper.
    The less processed food you eat the less fiber appears to be beneficial. Also the less processed food you eat, the less solid waste you make. So sure, if you eat more fiber you will go more often but why does that matter. The only reason you'd be going more is because you're putting in fillers that your body can't use so it gets rid of them. That's literally eating for sole purpose of creating more poop. What's the supposed benefit?
    And lots of doctors say lots of things that are contrary to good health. Like you need to eat carbs and low fat. They say these things because of decades of crap science. The same is true of fiber. I won't argue that some people seem to feel best with higher amounts though. It's individual. But someone eating carnivore has eliminated fiber and they usually go less often because of the nutrient density of that diet, but that's not constipation.

Thanks for sharing about fiber causing inflammation. That's the one thing I working to eliminate.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

You're stating this as a blanket statement. I can't eat fiber. Neither can many others.
    It's not a matter of opinion that fiber is inflammatory. That's how it works through the intestines. Creating mucous from inflammation. Info was linked earlier in the thread. Lots of people tolerate it without enough issue to ever notice. But I can tell you last thing I'd put into a backed up system is more solid, inflammatory material. If your toilet won't flush, you don't shove in more toilet paper.
    The less processed food you eat the less fiber appears to be beneficial. Also the less processed food you eat, the less solid waste you make. So sure, if you eat more fiber you will go more often but why does that matter. The only reason you'd be going more is because you're putting in fillers that your body can't use so it gets rid of them. That's literally eating for sole purpose of creating more poop. What's the supposed benefit?
    And lots of doctors say lots of things that are contrary to good health. Like you need to eat carbs and low fat. They say these things because of decades of crap science. The same is true of fiber. I won't argue that some people seem to feel best with higher amounts though. It's individual. But someone eating carnivore has eliminated fiber and they usually go less often because of the nutrient density of that diet, but that's not constipation.

Thanks for sharing about fiber causing inflammation. That's the one thing I working to eliminate.

Did you see the links back on page 1? Info on what happens in the gut with fiber and knowing this can help you determine if it's an issue for you or not.
  • froyseef
    froyseef Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Because I am elderly....73.... Dr. Said Miralax every morning and Senekot at bedtime. Works perfectly. No more problem with constipation.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Did you see the links back on page 1? Info on what happens in the gut with fiber and knowing this can help you determine if it's an issue for you or not.

@Sunny_Bunny_ I have now. Thanks.

WOW! have we been ripped by the fiber promoters.

marksdailyapple.com/dietary-fiber-is-bad-for-sex-thats-the-only-claim-about-it-that-isnt-a-myth/

modernhealthmonk.com/low-fiber-diet/

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/03/08/Ketogenic-Diet-FAQ-All-You-Need-to-Know
    Just a blip about fiber but a lot of info on a ketogenic diet that may be of interest to some.

Thanks again for busting the FIBER MYTH.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Those are great additions for fiber info. I especially love Marks Daily Apple about the history of how fiber first came about being "pushed" on us. I recall Fitgoat sharing that before I think.
  • RalfLott
    edited March 2017
    Options
    So what would be your argument against Sonnenburgs' admonition (see above) that your gut microbiome needs wholesome plant fiber - let's assume organic spinach, not industrial fiber - in order to thrive?
  • fatblatta
    Options
    We get it. You think fiber is devil food. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. But, for anyone that's constipated adding a little healthy vegetable fiber will help get things moving. And make them feel much better. Spoken from a reformed carnivore.

Cheers
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Mod hat time. Please try to keep things civil. This is just an early warning, since I see things starting to get heated. If it continues to devolve, I'll be locking this thread, especially since the original post is a bit older.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's probably my fault this post was resurrected. We needed something specific in the Open Threads on this topic with this information. It was requested by members. If I have to take it down, people who need the help have nothing. Just sayin'. So...AHEM... :smirk:

My personal suggestion across the board is make sure you are hydrated, keep electrolytes up, keep your fat up, and then take magnesium if you are truly backed up. Fiber doesn't help me all that much, and I eat a LOT more plants than the regular LCHFer. I also find that taking probiotics and eating fermented probiotic foods keeps things going along better when the over 600mg of mag a take a day isn't doing it. I have had IBS-C for a long time. It was cured when I went keto, but then I developed the sicca symptoms of Sjogren's, and it's back. What I suggested above generally tends to take care of it for now.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go everyday, if i miss just one day pain will ensue...
    I also much prefer that the food I've eaten on Monday is still not sitting inside me on Wednesday or Thursday :confounded:
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Just a few notes from fiber discussions in recent podcasts, videos etc.

Phinney, Volek, Perlmutter, the Sonnenburgs, and Rhonda Patrick all advocate fiber consumption, generally; Peter Attia says he's still a gut skeptic.

Patrick contends that the short-chain fatty acids produced by fiber processed in the intestines actually exert an anti-inflammatory effect, and she suggests that fiber intolerance might, initially, be regarded as a possible sign of some underlying gut issue, rather than an immutable state of individual nature.

Obviously, people vary widely, and research on gut health is barely off the plains and into the foothills. I suspect most of us will be better off in the long run by keeping an open mind to what the coming years may reveal....
  • fatblatta
    Options
    Patrick contends that the short-chain fatty acids produced by fiber processed in the intestines actually exert an anti-inflammatory effect, and she suggests that fiber intolerance might, initially, be regarded as a possible sign of some underlying gut issue, rather than an immutable state of individual nature.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. Well, except for the short chain fatty acid science stuff. You said it much better.

Thanks!
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There is a very easy natural solution for constipation for me....COCONUT MILK....works like a charm every time. If I'm starting to feel a little heavy down there and I know I'm working up to constipation a half a cup of coconut milk clears things up within hours. And it's good for you too.
  • melissaulrickson
    melissaulrickson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I cut out dairy (mostly) and have discovered what I call a magic pill: Super Aloe 250. Take one to four before bed. In the morning...magic. ✨