Pain in wrists

Lois_1989
Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
Hello everyone,

I've recently been experiencing a sharp pain in my left wrist when I do squats. Originally I thought it was my Fitbit, but I loosened it off and moved it further down away from my wrist and it still happened. It's ok while I squat because the weight is transferred to my back, but while standing upright it is quite painful. I didn't know if anyone has any solutions or suggestions?

Lois

Replies

• giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    I was having a pain in my wrist, only to realize it was my form. Fixed my form, no pain.

Form is truly the KEY!

Have someone check your form or possibly take a video...
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    giusa wrote: »
    I was having a pain in my wrist, only to realize it was my form. Fixed my form, no pain.

Form is truly the KEY!

Have someone check your form or possibly take a video...

So much this! It sounds like you're making your wrists support the weight your back should be supporting.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    If my wrists bend backwards even slightly in any of the lifts, it becomes immediately painful. I don't wrap my whole hand around the bar in squats, which also helps.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited March 2017
    interesting that it hurts most when you come back upright. it does sound like your wrists might be bending, but there's also the question of why.

for me, this happened most often when i had an 'internal rotation' issue with one of my shoulders. aka tight pecs on the left. i couldn't get my shoulder 'back' to fit under the bar, because my anterior chest muscles were holding me back. so then the extra distance had to come from somewhere else and it came from my wrists. i felt it less as i went into the hole because quite honestly i was curling over like a turtle. then i'd feel it more when i came up, because that's usually when you lock out and stand up more straight.

see if any of the info/ideas in this clip strike a bell

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjAjbbIlf3SAhXIwFQKHbfjD34QtwIIIjAB&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tyOLvArw0&usg=AFQjCNEttwLLgLHreQXv5hv1H6dlpzTYCg&sig2=htMeB-qy_TNlRRqtqzMxiw

it's been posted before, but never hurts to repeat :) meanwhile, deload might be good until you figure out how to get comfortable. and for me, two never-skip things that just help in general with shoulder mobility are upper-back band pulls, and broomstick 'dislocates'. i used to do external rotation exercises too specifically to strengthen the rear shoulder muscles, but that's one of those things that you do until it works, and then you quit because you don't 'have to' do them any more.

good call checking about this before it gets worse. lifting's supposed to be hard but pain isn't part of the plan.
  • Lois_1989
    If my wrists bend backwards even slightly in any of the lifts, it becomes immediately painful. I don't wrap my whole hand around the bar in squats, which also helps.

Oh, so fingers pointing up? It is only when I'm standing vertical. Maybe I should just lean forwards a bit more? I opt for the bar lower down across the shoulder blades rather than higher up across the shoulder tops.
  • Lois_1989
    interesting that it hurts most when you come back upright. it does sound like your wrists might be bending, but there's also the question of why.

for me, this happened most often when i had an 'internal rotation' issue with one of my shoulders. aka tight pecs on the left. i couldn't get my shoulder 'back' to fit under the bar, because my anterior chest muscles were holding me back. so then the extra distance had to come from somewhere else and it came from my wrists. i felt it less as i went into the hole because quite honestly i was curling over like a turtle. then i'd feel it more when i came up, because that's usually when you lock out and stand up more straight.

see if any of the info/ideas in this clip strike a bell

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjAjbbIlf3SAhXIwFQKHbfjD34QtwIIIjAB&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tyOLvArw0&usg=AFQjCNEttwLLgLHreQXv5hv1H6dlpzTYCg&sig2=htMeB-qy_TNlRRqtqzMxiw

it's been posted before, but never hurts to repeat :) meanwhile, deload might be good until you figure out how to get comfortable. and for me, two never-skip things that just help in general with shoulder mobility are upper-back band pulls, and broomstick 'dislocates'. i used to do external rotation exercises too specifically to strengthen the rear shoulder muscles, but that's one of those things that you do until it works, and then you quit because you don't 'have to' do them any more.

good call checking about this before it gets worse. lifting's supposed to be hard but pain isn't part of the plan.

I think I'll be spending the rest of the afternoon watching those videos! They are really good, thank you so much!
  • amyinthetardis1231
    I use low bar position as well, although trying to push it too far down my shoulderblades was uncomfortable all around. I don't wrap my thumbs around the bar and I hold it in my palms, with fingertips touching the top but not gripping it with my whole hand, if that makes sense. If you're straightening to fully vertical at the top, that may be throwing the weight too far back and pushing it onto your wrists instead of carrying it on your back.
  • Lois_1989
    I use low bar position as well, although trying to push it too far down my shoulderblades was uncomfortable all around. I don't wrap my thumbs around the bar and I hold it in my palms, with fingertips touching the top but not gripping it with my whole hand, if that makes sense. If you're straightening to fully vertical at the top, that may be throwing the weight too far back and pushing it onto your wrists instead of carrying it on your back.

I think you are right. From watching the video canadianlbs posted, I was pretty much holding the bar all wrong. It's all a learning experience right? :#
  • amyinthetardis1231
    It's a learning process all the way through! My position feels so much better now that I stopped trying to carry the bar too low for me.
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    I have the same problem with my right wrist. My trainer recommended doing some wrist mobility work to help strengthen my wrist. I also try to be cognitive of how much I allow my wrists too bend and I think a lot of times I am not putting my feet close enough to where the bar is so I'm leaning in causing my wrist to bend more when I lift the bar off.