Strength Training - Workout Plans

Options
robcastle64
robcastle64 Posts: 7 Member
I wish I could search within this group. I don't see another post on this topic though.

I am doing low carb and trying to figure out how to do strength training so that what shows up when I loose weight is a nicer body. I've done some research and gotten some advice from a physical therapist, but I'm still figuring it out.

Does anyone have advice for strength training on Low Carb/Keto? What are some good beginner/intermediate strength training workout plans for getting fit.

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    This is the program I started strength-training with around the end of July / beginning of August of last year:

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

I'm currently doing something else now, but I have to say I saw good results.
  • mkoh65
    mkoh65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the high-intensity, low-volume approach described in Dr. Doug McGuff's book Body by Science. It's a progressive and highly sustainable protocol in my opinion, which makes it well suited to beginners and older folks. Check him out on YouTube.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    5/3/1 is a good program if you have gym access. If you buy all of the 5/3/1 books and read through Wendler's blog a bit, you'll see that while the core remains the same (compound lifts, training maxes, relatively linear progression, and amrap sets for PRs) the accessory work is endlessly modifiable to work for everyone from rank beginners to advanced lifters who are decades in.

Also, I'd recommend any new lifter read Starting Strength, even if they don't end up using the program. It's an amazing introduction to the world of moving iron.
  • TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to work your core because it supports so much of your strength program and balance that with some back extensions.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like P90X and P90X3, fun and simple and effective...but kind of pricey unless you can find them used...
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    IMHO It really doesn't matter which program you follow as a complete novice. Loads of beginners agonize over find the perfect program specifically for them.

At this point, and perhaps only at this point, if you just start lifting/training, consistently, for a sustained period and progressively increase the load you will get stronger.

That said do follow a program don't just hit the gym and do what you fancy as you'll risk injury and/or see few results.

Starting Strength, Greyskull LP, any 5/3/1 template for beginners are all solid so take your pick and be consistent

If you are looking for more of a conditioning type routine I really like Ross Enamait's stuff.
  • robcastle64
    robcastle64 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys... I appreciate the advice