Newbie exercise question

drosebud
drosebud Posts: 277 Member
I only started low carbing on Monday, but did an cardio class (Spin) today. It wasn't too bad at first, but then I hit a bit of a wall after 30 minutes and my energy levels seemed to drop a lot faster than it normally would. It was still manageable and I guess not unexpected.
I was planning a 5K Park Run tomorrow, and am not expecting a PB(!), but wondered whether the exercise levels should be affected as opposed to my normal levels?

Replies

• TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    I am not an expert but this is very early on your journey and the body has to make a lot of adjustments. You have changed it's fuel source.

Many people here including me do a lot of exercise in both cardio and weights. And I don't find this diet gives me less energy.

Just give yourself a bit of time to adjust and you will be fine. I set a number of PBs since starting this.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Get 1000mg sodium 30 minutes before your class
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Salt is important for LC ways of eating but timing that salt consumption about 30 min before my workouts helped me a lot.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    edited March 2017
    Until you are fully fat adapted (up to 6 weeks), you will not have the same endurance you had before. Once you are fully fat adapted, you will be amazed at how dramatically your endurance improves.

Then and now, added sodium will help.

Edit: see Jeff Volek's "FASTER" study where he did testing on high endurance athletes on keto.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    It only took me about 2 weeks to adapt...give it some time!
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Thanks everyone. I was actually not too bad at all on my 5K park run yesterday. I'm feeling much better than I thought I would, though I know it's early days.