Quick and Easy Recipes

Options
Saiosyn
Saiosyn Posts: 41 Member
I have a question for all the "can't cook", "not enough time", "I feel like an easy meal" type of people out there. I live in a household where I am the only person eating Keto, but I still need to cook the regular meals as well. (Cause flatmates do not like the foods I make for me to eat...) So I was wondering if anyone had super simple, quick and easy recipes or meals or snacks or whatever that they could share?

I normally nom on Bacon and butter eggs. Or meat and cheeses, but a girl can only handle the same thing over and over so may times. Because of this, I've fallen off the keto waggon a few times. So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My family doesn't eat keto either, and I am the primary cook. A lot of times I eat the same thing they are eating (meat plus veggie), but when I am making them something like pasta, I find a substitution. So, for spaghetti (very simple - Rao's marinara plus ground beef), they get noodles, I get zucchini noodles. I don't find that zucchini noodles work very well for mac & cheese, so they get mac & cheese, I get sauteed shrimp and broccoli with the same delicious cheese sauce (1 part HWC, 2 parts shredded cheese).

If it's something I just can't modify for myself, I usually eat leftovers or something I really like that they don't. But, I don't mind repetitive eating.

Roasted veggies are easy & delicious if you haven't tried them. I like brussels sprouts or broccoli best. Toss in olive oil & kosher salt, roast for about 9 minutes in the oven (I do 425 F for sprouts, 500 for broccoli).

I hope this is somewhat helpful!

• redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Oh, and tacos/fajitas are another easy one. They get tortillas, I get sour cream & avocado! I think I win! :smile:
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I make a huge batch of meatballs when I have time. There are a lot of keto recipes for meatballs online. Since I need to keep track of my calories, I measure out about 3 ounces on the scale raw per meatball (nice sized meatballs but you can do any size, big or small). Then I bake them in the oven b/c its easier than pan frying. Then I package them up with usually 2 meatballs per container. These go in the freezer. To some, I add 1/3 cp of a good sugar free, gluten free marinara. If you love to cook, you can make your own sauce. So when I'm in a hurry or feel like I need something Italian RIGHT NOW, they are ready to go. Nuke them on low to thaw, sprinkle with parmesan or other favorite cheese. Add some sauce if you care to. Yum! I try to make my batches so I have 10 servings or so b/c I hate to cook (well, not always but sometimes I just need a break).
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Oh, another thing is to make a keto friendly soup. I like chicken or turkey the best. Using stock (homemade or other), I had some low carb veggies and lots of spices (basil is really, really good in poultry soups as is white pepper) and plenty of protein. Just simmer this all together and then divvy up into serving sized freezable containers. When you have warmed it up, add cream to make it a heartier soup. I like to add the cream when I am heating the soup up as it adds a little freshness to it.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I normally cook up a meat, veggie and then a starch that I don't eat.
    Hamburger/broccoli/mac and cheese
    Taco meat/sliced cucumbers/ they get the shells
    Rotisserie chicken/green beans/ rice
    Steak/asparagus/ rice for kids potato for husband.

Those are four of the rotating meals at our place.
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Soups are one of my favorite go to meals, just remember no
    Root vegetables, like potatoes and carrots. I use broth and add butter, it makes it nice and tasty.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I cook for the enture family and we have our own share of "weird eaters" ; there's always something for everyone. Pasta night: pasta meatballs, Alfredo sauce, salad. I eat meatballs sauce and salad, kids eat pasta and meatballs picky teen eats salad and pasta, husband eats it all.

Fish night: fish, roasted asparagus or broccoli, rice. I eat fish and veg, kids eat rice and fish, picky teen eats veg and rice, husband eats it all.

Taco night: I eat meat and veg and cheese and sour cream, kids eat crunchy corn shells and meat and cheese, picky teen eats flour tortillas and beans and,veg. Husband eats it all.

There's a trend here.....

I have lots of one off recipies but the themes always exists. Pretty much every thing we do is fast with 3 kids, after school activities and 2 jobs and a dog and...and...and....
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Same as all others said. Meat and vegetables for me. Add a starch for husband. I made a pot roast the other day. I had beef, cabbage and celery. He had that plus carrots and potatoes. I make mine on the stove or oven but you can make one in a crock pot if you are gone all day.
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I roast chicken thighs on top of Brussels sprouts and cauliflower. Season veggies and toss with oil. Place chicken in veggies. Oil chicken thighs and season (for both veggies and chicken I sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, paprika, turmeric as my go to seasoning). Roast at 400 for 45 min. Remove chicken, toss veggies in all the drippings before serving.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I found these on-line yesterday. If nothing else, they look like a bit of fun for the kids....

I spiralise a carrot and a courgette (only to the cores - I use neither one) and get an onion frying in some olive oil & butter... maybe add a flake or two of both garlic and chilli... then add first the carrot, and as that wilts, the courgette. Add some Himalayan salt, to help....stir, and then add a couple of well-beaten eggs mixed with some home-made cream cheese. If I'm feeling really fancy, I will also add some cooked bacon pieces, or shredded chicken, and then top with a sprinkling of mozarella, and grill. Fold it over, pour it onto a plate - and tuck in!!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I buy a bag of chicken breasts from Aldi and slow cook them all day, then shred it. This is good for making meals or just to have some on hand.
  • Momma_Raucks
    Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Quick - I just fry up a couple eggs and maybe a 90 second bread?
    Sometimes a bag of nuts if im not really feeling dinner
    the Egg Roll in a bowl recipe doesn't take long and I make a huge batch of it some Sunday's and portion it out for my lunches for the week.
    I sometimes make batches of chicken meat balls for the week too, put on some hot sauce and serve over some riced cauliflower ( just diced up really well) and I like to put some powdered ranch dressing in my riced cauliflower.
    Prep for me is Key for success in anything I do and Keto is no different. If I have some foods, ie cooked bacon, cooked chicken breast, it makes it super easy to go to.
    Another yummy dinner thing that doesn't take long is doing a lettuce wrap burger.
    Make Sunday a Food Prep Day, that way you know you wont get stuck.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Marinated some shoulder-of-pork cutlets in a tsp of grain mustard, 1/2 cup of ACV, a little salt and some chopped fresh sage (sage & pork - marriage made in heaven!) and refrigerated overnight.
    Took them out of the marinade, dry-fried in a good non-stick pan, and then loosened the resulting juices with a little drop of water, then added a tbsp of cream (the chops were 'resting' in a warm oven, the resulting juices also got added to the cream sauce).
    served up with a little Kimchi relish and home-made creamed spinach made with Philly cheese.

Goodness, yum!!