The whoooosh effect

Options
So I was just wondering how other people doing keto experience weightloss.
Ive been doing this way of life for a few months and my weightloss is different to any other weightloss ive experienced.
I lose it in kilo lots rather that a few 100 grams each day. ( the woosh effect).
I can go a week or two and nothing but my body noticeably shrinks before the loss shows on the scale.
Lose the scales .. yeah I should but cant lol
Just find it interesting how my body resonds to the keto lifestyle...

Replies

• kyashiis
    kyashiis Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the "whoosh " effect.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm sitting around 41d @ 25lbs lost... give or take, due a weigh in here shortly.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Started back up again a couple days ago, and so far had a 5.2 pound whoosh. Not bad! Dont think it will be much more than that, mostly water....but it feels great. I do a pretty strict version of keto. It seems to be the only thing that works for me.
  • ChristinaVaz25
    ChristinaVaz25 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm also waiting for the whoosh effect! I am 6 days in and still feel super hungry after meals. When does this go away.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @ChristinaVaz25 - it's so individual, it's really hard to say. It could be now, it could be 6 weeks from now, it could be a subtle change you don't notice. If you're still feeling hungry with meals, you might eat at maintenance calories or even ignore calories during the first 6 weeks while your body essentially "switches over" to burning ketones instead of glucose. This involves a number of changes, not the least of which is building new muscle mitochondria and similar changes throughout the body, which often require calories above and beyond the normal hunger. Also, your body might be getting enough fuel, but it might still be "starving for carbs" due to the body not understanding that it has alternate fuel available. If you feel completely confident that you're eating enough calories (usually 1600 and up is safe - depending on weight, etc.), then you might just trying sticking it out a little why longer. It is OK for our bodies not to be completely full, but if you are legitimately still hungry, your body might be telling you that you need more fuel to operate efficiently and heal underlying issues...
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I noticed during my long streak last year that I whoosh lose too, usually bounce around two pounds for a week or two then whoosh three, then repeat. :)
  • elize7
    Options
    Bump
  • elize7
    edited May 2017
    Options
    No whoosh today, but...maybe tomorrow. I think it will be a 2 pounder, (3 would be better.) Fingers crossed.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    No whoosh today, but...maybe tomorrow. I think it will be a 2 pounder, (3 would be better.) Fingers crossed.

I honestly wouldn't even be able to tell if I'm whooshing with this stupid new scale of mine. So I've made it easier on myself, I'll definitely notice when I'm closer to 180 than 200. Sort-of takes the stress out of this. Thanks, jerk *kitten* scale! :D
  • elize7
    Options
    No woosh yet. Boo. Maybe tomorrow? Ketones are present in keto stix. It will happen.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I had a 5 lb whoosh last week... although Monday was an artificial water-weight high, I am still going to call it a whoosh. Officially it was a 2 lb loss from my regular Friday weigh-in the week before. Both still good in my books!!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    No woosh yet. Boo. Maybe tomorrow? Ketones are present in keto stix. It will happen.

I had two solid weeks of ketones present on my ketostix and not only has there any no "whoosh" I've actually been fluctuating back and forth over the same 1.5lbs.
  • elize7
    Options
    Got a mini whoosh! 1.6 lbs......
    I'll take it!
    Hoping for another tomorrow! I think I should get at least 5lbs total for the first week. I mean, it is almost standard for keto.
  • elize7
    Options
    No whoosh today...am thinking since I was on and off keto so much last year, maybe there just won't be that initial big whoosh, which is a bummer but just means a little mindset adjustment is in order.
    ...I'm thinking that just might require a little reward, like these lovely, red shoes I ordered for later on sure might look good for this Friday dance night....
    I get that it's sad to be so reliant on outside motivators instead of inward strengh and resilience...it's one of my pet peeves about myself that I am so lacking in those areas...but the real truth is, the outside motivators and rewards seem to work for me...so I go for it.
    All in.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @elize7 - there are so many outside detractors and enemies, why not balance the scale but using your inner resilience to bolster you during these hard times by using outside motivations as a tool?
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced a "whoosh". I drop a slow 1/2 lb. a week if I'm lucky. And as I stand there bemoaning my slow loss my husband is dropping drastic amounts of weight. Okay, maybe not drastic but definitely losing more than me. lol I'm not worried though as I have a lot more muscle than he does and I'm losing inches if not pounds and that's okay.

Would be cool though if I stepped on the scale and heard an audible "WHOOSH!".... that would be awesome. lol Simple mind here.
  • frostedcow
    frostedcow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm at 6 weeks on this WOE and lost 11 the first couple weeks and nothing the last month. I just keep up a pound down a pound. Up two down one ect. I think it's because I got some Kind bars and Quest bars to eat at work. I'm hoping to reevaluate and go 'simple' and hope for a whoosh! I also need to start drinking more water!!
  • elize7
    Options
    Another whoosh brings me back to where i was prior to last weekend.
    I can only hope I am finished waffling around and stick with the plan.
    The current plan is relose11 more pounds by June 30. I relost 9 pounds this past month. One more 10 pound challenge after that and i will have reached home base. At long last and I can't wait for that.
    Have several enticing rewards lined up every few pounds for motivation. I really want this so I can wear some of my summer clothes from last year! Not to mention feel great in them.
  • elize7
    Options
    Wow! Just ran into my last comment on this thread. Happy to report that I did it. Mostly, anyway. I lost about 10 more pounds and now for my summer challenge, I've got about 11.6- 15.6 pounds to go by Sept 11. For July the goal is 10 pounds.
    I know I'm getting closer to goal weight and losses are slower, but anything
    en route to 10 pounds will be accepted. I like that I've been breaking my goal down into smaller bits with longer deadlines. I'm really all about being less frantic, these days.