Home electrolyte monitoring?

Options
Cheesy567
Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
Does anyone monitor their electrolyte levels at home? If so, what methods/ devices do you use?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. There's not much in the way of electrolyte monitoring in general, just symptoms. You can monitor it pretty well, actually, if you know what to look for.

Headache is usually the most obvious sign you need more sodium, as is light headedness (even positional). Sleep quality and ability to fall asleep and stay asleep is both sodium and magnesium. Potassium is light headedness when you know sodium has been taken care of. Muscle cramps are both potassium and magnesium.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. There's not much in the way of electrolyte monitoring in general, just symptoms. You can monitor it pretty well, actually, if you know what to look for.

Headache is usually the most obvious sign you need more sodium, as is light headedness (even positional). Sleep quality and ability to fall asleep and stay asleep is both sodium and magnesium. Potassium is light headedness when you know sodium has been taken care of. Muscle cramps are both potassium and magnesium.

^^^^ This is it in a nutshell for you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yep, yep yep. What @SuperCarLori said.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I find that my back starts REALLY hurting when my sodium is low. Starts there and radiates outwards. Chug some salty Mio water and within minutes my back stops hurting. Kind of cool and crazy all at once!
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I'm printing this out and keeping it on me at all times. ;D Thank you!!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Leg cramps. If I get them when I stretch in bed in the AM I know I'm out of wack. During the day, I'll take a little sodium if I feel unnaturally sluggish or "off" I use it like Gus uses Windex in "my Big Fat Greek Wedding.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Usually I use the WWWHHHYYYY IS MY HEAD ACHING method. Then add salt.

Also the WWWHHHYYYY CAN'T I POOP? Then up magnesium.

You're welcome. :D

Surely that's only the tip of the WWWHHHYYY iceberg..... ???