Insurance approval wait time

Options
Shull_rachael
Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
I finished my last counseling session today. She sending my letter into the nurse practitioner to say I completed counseling on Wednesday morning. Then my paperwork should be turned in by Friday. I'm just wondering what the average wait time is for insurance approval once they have all your paperwork? Or about how long you have to wait? I'm in Virginia and I'm having the gastric sleeve done. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have an HMO in California. 18 months from talk with doctor to surgery. I had various classes and counseling, psyche eval, etc. You're probably looking a few weeks, maybe sooner. But there could be lng delays for no apparent reason too. Keep doing right things for your health in mean time and the big day will come soon enough!
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    For me, two weeks if I recall?
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I started my with my bariatrician 11/20/15 (met 2-4 weeks before my initial meeting with my surgeon) and had my surgery 4/18/16. I think I had my surgery date within 2-3 weeks of paperwork being submitted to insurance. Good luck! Waiting is the most difficult part but it is so worth it. Before you know it you will be a post-op! :)
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I had about 6 months of counseling/dr's visits before they submitted my paperwork to insurance. From there, I waited about 2-3 weeks for the approval from my insurance. I'm in NY, and I had Aetna insurance at the time.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your insurance company, the insurance liaison at your surgeon's office, and your surgeon's schedule.

I went in for my first appointment with my surgeon early August, 2015. My paperwork got sent in for approval around August 23, 2015. It took two full weeks for my insurance to approve it. I was then given a date of October 15, 2015, or January 2016...because of his schedule. I took the October date.

Good luck!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I went through the process all out of order, but grand total, it took about 3 months. I think it was a little over a week for the insurance approval. My husband had the same surgery as I did, and I think it was almost 3 weeks for his insurance approval (same insurance as mine). So it really depends.
  • Shull_rachael
    Options
    Thanks y'all!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have BCBS. My initial appointment was mid August and I was approved the first week in September. Other than being overweight I didn't have any other medical issues. I believe it depends on the insurance carrier and perhaps a little on the surgeons office and the accuracy of the paperwork.
  • Shull_rachael
    Options
    Thanks pretty quick. I'm still waiting it's been about a week. I'm so impatient!lol
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My dietitian was telling me that it usually takes my insurance company two or three weeks from the time it's submitted to be approved. That doesn't seem too bad. I'm just hoping that they do approve it, as I really don't want to have to appeal the decision.

I hope your insurance company flies through it and approves you quickly. Good luck with everything! :smile:
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had my last nutrition class on Tuesday April 4th, and got a call on Friday afternoon April 7th that insurance approved surgery. And yesterday they called to schedule surgery, pre-op class. Surgery on May 16th. Pre-Op class on April 24th.

They did say that insurance can take up to 30 days to approve.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    After I completed all my insurance requirements and my doctor sent off my paperwork it took about 6 business days to hear back. From the time I heard back until surgery was about 6 weeks.