Intermittent Fasting

Options
LosingIt2WIN
LosingIt2WIN Posts: 63 Member
Have any of you tried intermittent fasting? I am doing the 16/8 (eat during 8 hours and fast the other 16 hours each day) as of this week. So far, so good! I've always been a breakfast eater out of habit. Most of the time I am not even hungry in the mornings. I thought it would be hard but find I don't really get hungry until about 1PM. If any of you are interested, here is a simple to read, comprehensive article about it. https://authoritynutrition.com/intermittent-fasting-and-weight-loss/

Replies

• KookieMx5
    KookieMx5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, fed up with slimming clubs but the weight is creeping on and drawn to the 16:8 fasting method. I tend to eat breakfast out of habit and wondered if this was a good way of kick starting a new regime. So...no breakfast today, may have it for lunch as I am not a keen bread fan anyway. Just reinstated my goals on here so let's see how it goes. Good luck!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for quite some time...I do like having bigger meals and feeling full!!!
  • LosingIt2WIN
    Options
    Me too! It is going to be a lot easier to stay within my daily calorie goal. I also think it is a lifestyle I can keep up.
  • slimstrauss
    slimstrauss Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Have been doing 16:8 on and off for a while, I love it, have lost nearly 3 st (41lbs). Combined with LCHF works for me. Find it helps not to eat too much wheat or sugar, not good for me, as much as I might want it.
  • jon1435
    jon1435 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I've just started an experiment with intermittent fasting to see if it works for me. I'm only on day six and I'm doing it until April 30th ( 2017 ) I've always eaten breakfast so not eating until later in the day has been a bit of a pain but nothing I can't live with. I've also chucked in no alcohol and more exercise as well just to liven it up a bit! ... The no alcohol's not easy ... it's been a really tough day today and I really fancy a glass of wine. Anyway I've started a blog with daily updates ( it's not very good ) but if anyone wants to check it out it's here https://zebskitchen.wordpress.com/
  • genesis642
    genesis642 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started on a 14:10 plan yesterday. I'm struggling after my morning workout (I workout twice a day training for a triathlon). I hope to transition to 16:8, but wanted to ease into it. I hope to do this through April and see what results I have.
  • mzdrea611
    mzdrea611 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started IF last week. I lost 10lbs. I am still eating 1700 calories a day, with more clean wholesome foods. I feel great and am not even hungry in the morning. I do 16:8 and threw in one eat stop eat. I am going to stick with it.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    No. I exercise hard and am generally starving most of the time. I'd never make it.
  • LosingIt2WIN
    Options
    So far so good for me. I have made it for a week with IF. I have lost 3 pounds so far and weigh in is tomorrow. Hoping for 4!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm intrigued by IF and have played with it a bit. My one...concern is that I worry it will raise cortisol.
    There are folks who believe it's "harder" on a woman's body and that maybe we shouldn't do it, or should do it only for 14 hrs.

Following this thread....
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I was debating whether to raise that issue, Sabine. I used to eat primal and there was a lot of speculation in those groups about how IF wasn't as effective for women due to the influence of cortisol and stress. The theory was that dietary stress can encourage weight loss in men but slow weight loss in women. Mark Sisson has some articles about it on his site.

For me, it's a moot point now because I can't eat larger meals over a shorter period of time because I can't tolerate that much fat at once (which is why HFLC is also not an option). I did experiment with it back in my primal days but did not find it effective, though primal didn't work well for me in general. I respond better to low fat/high carb for weight loss and always have, maybe because I'm already a stress case drowning in cortisol. Different things work for different people.
  • Lynda652017
    Lynda652017 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think I'll give this a try starting today until the end of the month - but will start on a 14:10 (I do like a small snack in the eve which will be hard to just drop - but if I eat more for dinner because I'm skipping breakfast, I may not need the eve snack..... I'll see how it goes).
  • LosingIt2WIN
    Options
    I really think this is going to work for me! I have been fasting between 8 PM to 1PM the next day. I only have coffee and water in the mornings until I have my lunch at 1PM. I was surprised to discover that I haven't been as hungry as I thought I would be (okay a few days there was a lot of growling!). My husband is not a breakfast eater so this is the easiest way for me to incorporate this lifestyle. He hasn't even noticed that I have changed anything and I have lost a couple pounds each week. I try to keep my calories at around 1400-1500 per day and MFP is making it easy to balance out the nutrients I need. Weekends I give myself 1800 calories because I don't ever want to feel deprived or depressed about "dieting". This needs to be a full lifestyle change.
  • LosingIt2WIN
    Options
    I am also trying to increase my activity. I try to walk at least 8000 steps a day. Some days more and some days less but that has been the average. Am slowly increasing this and hope to have a 10000 per day average in a few months.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I do a 5:2 fast. Calories within whatever range I need to hit other days, nothin' but water (coffee, i let myself have a little milk in it etc) on two days a week. I do it mondays and thursdays. If something comes up socially or whatever, I just shift the days. Works great for me as far as weight management. I thought I'd get weak or dizzy or something on fast days (carried almonds etc with me when i first started), but never, ever have. In fact I feel better and calmer on fasting days. I work out normally, from cardio and HIIT to strength training (if a weight training day happens to fall on a fasting day I do have one of those muscle milk lite things with 28g of protein post workout. I realize it's basically chocolate milk with a bunch of chemicals but seems efficient re muscle recovery and I eat really well most times).

24-36 hour fasting may seem scary or drastic but it's really not. I feel fine and it's actually easier for me than debating whether i can eat this or that or more of either. For example if I'm fasting on a day I'm traveling, the "calories don't count if you eat them in the airport" rule doesn't even need to be put into effect ; )

There is lots of evidence to support that it has lots of health benefits beyond weight management. The one thing to look out for is I sometimes get kind of binge-y on the day after a fast, and that sort of spoils the whole point.

The reason I don't do the daily one or eat stop eat is because I find it hard to stick to something i have to do every day due to changing circumstances, schedules, social things, travel etc., and i feel I'd be constantly "failing."
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've decided I'm going to try a short 16:8. I tried it briefly before. But am going to try it again. I ***feel*** like the hormones are under control, and MAN I'd like to lose this 8Lbs that magically appeared between thanksgiving and now. So.... gonna try it. I'm on day 3. ha.
    Wish me luck. The timing is good, as Pilates ends for a month, so I can move my morning runs/walks to noon for a month.
  • CappyShank
    CappyShank Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried IF (16:8) a few years ago and it worked very well. In my experience, I lost about seven to eight pounds in three or so weeks. However over time, the holidays, of course, and my recent trip in January to the Dominican, I've gained back the weight, approximately 10 pounds. I am on it again. I drink coffee and water only until noon, then I have fruit, usually a banana, and go for a 45 min power walk. Lunch next, which I have to keep fairly light because a heavy meal doesn't sit too well after fasting for me. Sometimes a snack prior to dinner, but not always, and then dinner before 7pm. Really a 17:7 IF. No snacking for me after; water and tea only. I watch my caloric intake as well for the first few weeks, then raise up to maintain. I have a cheat day on the weekends. I am on day five now and will weigh in on Sunday. I am trying to make sure I get enough nutrition. Has anyone got experience with the "Greens" powder supplements? Perhaps I'll search the forums on that one.
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,988 Member
    Options
    I have been playing with IF for the past several weeks more or less following a 16:8 program when it fits my schedule. I have been surprised at how easy it is to follow and how easily it fits in with my lifestyle. I typically drink coffee with milk and sugar in the morning and don't eat breakfast until about 10 or 11. I switched to black coffee in the am and have simply delayed my breakfast until noon. I still eat my normal meals during my 8 hour window and finish up at 8pm. Stopping at 8 keeps me from the late night snacking that I used to do. I haven't really found myself hungry except for a few fleeting moments in the morning. For the most part, I almost feel less hungry and am finding it way easier to stay within my caloric limits for losing weight. I had been struggling with a plateau before I started this and since then my weight has dropped significantly over the past month. As a menopausal woman with slow weight loss, I find this rewarding. I still don't know whether IF had anything to do with it or whether it was just time to break the plateau as I continue to follow CICO philosophy. But given how easily it fits into my schedule, I like it so far. I am still curious about learning more and do like to read about other people's experiences.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Following.......