Salad dressing?

Options
pitbullmamaliz
pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
What do you all put on top of your salads? I love salad, and have been using just oil and vinegar but sometimes I'd like some variety. I really miss the obscene amounts of sweet & sour I use to gob on. ;-) I know Ranch and Caesar dressings are low carb, but they just make me go "meh." Any other suggestions?

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I like salsa/mild spicy sauce on my salads. My sister always just squeezes lemon juice on hers. Gotta be careful with the salsa tho and make sure it fits your carb numbers.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I'm a ranch girl. Or salsa and sour cream. My favorite, though, is olive oil and salt. Is that gross? I don't really like vinegar, and I put salt on everything. :) My husband likes different kinds of ranch, like cucumber ranch or jalapeno ranch or whatever.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    bleu cheese dressing...yum...or sometimes just sour cream...
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    White balsamic vinegar has a nice sweet and sour thing going on.

I usually use blue cheese. Cause I love the stuff.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Blue Cheese for me!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I watch too much Ina Garten so my go to is usually: fresh lime (or lemon) juice, avocado (or olive) oil, a little Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, fresh garlic. Whisk it.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I've always been about the oil & vinegar, but I have a large variety of infused ones.... Some of my faves: Toasted sesame oil with honey ginger white balsamic, Red grapefruit olive oil with black current or raspberry balsamic. I really like avocado and almond oil too. Sometimes I'll add seasonings (like herb & garlic Mrs Dash to the oil first)

I'm always so sad when restaurants bring basic white vinegar & canola oil :neutral:

@kpk54, that mix sounds delicious!!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    My go to is blue cheese. I just ordered several different types from thrive. Hopefully that wasn't a waste of money. It is hard to find good dressings that don't use bad oils (i.e. soybean oil or safflower oil).

Also, I sometimes use the wickles hoagie spread. It is hard to describe, so here is a link to it:

https://wicklespickles.com/product/spicy-red-sandwich-spread/

I know it says it is a sandwich spread, but my salads generally have meat and/or egg with greens and some cheese, so it isn't that terribly different from a sandwich without the bread.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Bragg makes a whole line of dressings with their apple cider vinegar.
    I also liked Primal Kitchen
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I watch too much Ina Garten so my go to is usually: fresh lime (or lemon) juice, avocado (or olive) oil, a little Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, fresh garlic. Whisk it.

Yup, that's my basic 'good to go' recipe too.

The 'secret' of a good dressing is three parts oil to one part 'acidic'. and season well.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I like paleo mayo on some salads, I am an oil and vinegar gal mostly though. I do enjoy Marie's blue cheese.

I have a variety of vinegars, ACV, balsamic (have to watch the carbs on that one), champage, red wine, etc. If the salad has tomato, I often just splash a dash of vinegar on it.

I do add rice vinegar to sesame oil if I want an Asian flavor profile as well.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the ideas! Really wish I liked blue cheese, but BLEH! LOL But lots of other things to try out, so thank you!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Pinterest had LC dressings using toasted sesame oil (straight or cut with olive oil) and a salt source as the base.

Variations included mustard seeds (let soak for a while), vinegar, and peppers.

They were all yummy! :p
  • peggyd73
    peggyd73 Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    If you like avocado, this recipe is simple and very tasty

http://www.simplyscratch.com/2014/04/creamy-avocado-salad-dressing.html
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    olive oil, lemon juice, dijon and salt & pepper.

or just olive oil with balsamic vinegar if I'm too lazy to juice the lemon