I feel like crap

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
Two month on th 5th.....
Been doing great but today I feel like utter crap. Not sure why. I feel light headed, dizzy, and tired. Haven't felt like this in a while. Tried to have a 2 carb beer with dinner and couldn't get through it. I felt almost as if I'd had four beers, not less than 1. I've had 72 oz of water today. Breakfast was my normal coffee with tbsp heavy cream, lunch was a western egg plate with 1 cup of sautéed veggies (mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic), three eggs, 1 oz Vermont cheddar boardhead cheese, and two tablespoons of daisy regular sour cream. Dinner was thick 6 oz pork chop with 9 medium asparagus spears and 4 oz roasted cauliflower. Snack today was 1 square of zero carb 99% cocoa dark sugarless chocolate and 5 blackberries (measured 1 oz). I haven't logged it today because my app has been having issues the past few days. By all accounts I don't think I've gone over 40 net carbs. (I'll log tomorrow if I can get the app working right).

Yesterday I had some chicken broth and I always salt all my food.

Any ideas?

Replies

• my4andme333
    my4andme333 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    dqa1lhqtm953.png

I tried adding everything you listed, keep in mind I didn't know brands, but it looks like you didn't eat enough today, maybe that's why you're light headed?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    2 things. First it sounds like low sodium. Second alcohol will affect you far more. I used to be able to drink a 8-10 beers before anyone would suspect I had anything. After a few months of this WOE, and I had about 3 shots worth of whiskey and was slurring my words and a bit off balance when I tried to walk. I am now officially a cheap drunk.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    A couple long shots.... Any possibility of low blood pressure? Hypoglycemia from diabetes meds?
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I used to be able to drink a 8-10 beers before anyone would suspect I had anything. After a few months of this WOE, and I had about 3 shots worth of whiskey and was slurring my words and a bit off balance when I tried to walk. I am now officially a cheap drunk.

LOL, yeah. After one good-and-stiff mixed drink, I'm happy as can be. It used to take a few for sure.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    2 things. First it sounds like low sodium. Second alcohol will affect you far more. I used to be able to drink a 8-10 beers before anyone would suspect I had anything. After a few months of this WOE, and I had about 3 shots worth of whiskey and was slurring my words and a bit off balance when I tried to walk. I am now officially a cheap drunk.

This
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    Two month on th 5th.....
    Been doing great but today I feel like utter crap. Not sure why. I feel light headed, dizzy, and tired. Haven't felt like this in a while. Tried to have a 2 carb beer with dinner and couldn't get through it. I felt almost as if I'd had four beers, not less than 1. I've had 72 oz of water today. Breakfast was my normal coffee with tbsp heavy cream, lunch was a western egg plate with 1 cup of sautéed veggies (mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic), three eggs, 1 oz Vermont cheddar boardhead cheese, and two tablespoons of daisy regular sour cream. Dinner was thick 6 oz pork chop with 9 medium asparagus spears and 4 oz roasted cauliflower. Snack today was 1 square of zero carb 99% cocoa dark sugarless chocolate and 5 blackberries (measured 1 oz). I haven't logged it today because my app has been having issues the past few days. By all accounts I don't think I've gone over 40 net carbs. (I'll log tomorrow if I can get the app working right).

Yesterday I had some chicken broth and I always salt all my food.

Any ideas?

Every single bolded item is a sign of low sodium.

Starting at the top...

All of those are symptoms right off the bat, that you need sodium asap.

Feeling like you've had more to drink than you did is very common on low carb and I think it's related to dehydration, so again, supporting the low sodium.

The more water you drink the more sodium you need. Water alone does not hydrate if you do not have enough sodium in your body to retain it. It actually makes the issue WORSE.

And finally, while having chicken the day before is great, it only provides about 1000mg of the daily minimum of 3000-5000mg (or more if you drink a lot of water) that you need EVERY DAY, not just occasionally. And salting your food to reach these minimum NEEDS isn't enough. You simply cannot possibly reach those levels just by salting food and drinking a cup of broth every now and then.

Low sodium is no joke. You cannot wait it out. You MUST replace the sodium at the rate I mentioned above EVERY SINGLE DAY.
    Your body is talking to you. It's up to you to listen and provide what it needs.
    Get 1000mg sodium from broth or salted water or pickle juice or whatever right now and you'll feel better in minutes.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I tried adding everything you listed, keep in mind I didn't know brands, but it looks like you didn't eat enough today, maybe that's why you're light headed?

Isn't this almost an intermittent fast intake? (in fact, 800 calories is the recommendation for a man; usually a woman can go to around 600 or so....)
    It never has this effect on me, so it's possible even that the OP might have caught a bug....All things aside, even this is possible. it might have nothing to do with intake at all...

Just noodlin'....
  • EryOaker
    Options
    Thx all, I still feel like crap today. I'm going to try eating all the salty food I can today and see if that helps. I'm not a fan of pickle juice but I'll give it a go if it helps me feel better!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Thx all, I still feel like crap today. I'm going to try eating all the salty food I can today and see if that helps. I'm not a fan of pickle juice but I'll give it a go if it helps me feel better!

If you aren't a fan of pickle juice, broth can be better.

Whenever I make something in the crockpot as meal prep for weekday lunches (which is about 60-70% of the time now), I use the leftover liquid to make a couple of servings of homemade soup which I make as salty as I can without making it taste bad. That comes in handy for days when my salt intake may not be where it needs to be.
  • kdz0444
    kdz0444 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Definitely watch the alcohol. I was always a lightweight but now 1 small drink gets me completely wasted. It's pretty bad. And like others said sounds like you need some pickle juice, sauerkraut juice, or something like that. Anytime I start getting a headache or feeling down I try to get something loaded with sodium. Low electrolytes is very common with this way of eating. I almost always feel way better after doing it if I catch it soon enough. If not it can take a day or two to get back to normal.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try a teapspoon of salt in water if you still need the salt. It's a fast delievery method.

Hope you feel better.
  • RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    Options
    From another sodium thread featuring Keto-ade (just bumped it).

Keto-ade:
    1/4 tsp. salt (sodium chloride)
    1/4 tsp. "lite" salt (potassium chloride)
    1 Tbsp. lime juice
    4 drops liquid stevia
    16 - 20 oz. water

Thx @MyriiStorm.

baconslave wrote: »
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    Keto-ade:
    1/4 tsp. salt (sodium chloride)
    1/4 tsp. "lite" salt (potassium chloride)
    1 Tbsp. lime juice
    4 drops liquid stevia
    16 - 20 oz. water

Some people prefer Mio instead of the lime juice and stevia. I hope you get the electrolytes worked out soon!

We get potassium from various foods. Potassium just isn't always properly listed on foods.
    This site lists the potassium in various foods per 100g. Chicken has potassium, eggs, cheese, nuts, greens, and etc.
    http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/info/books-phds/books/foodfacts/html/data/data5b.html
    http://www.pittsburgh.va.gov/Dialysis/docs/PotassiumValuesofFood.pdf

If you get enough potassium via food and enough sodium, you don't need to supplement much, if at all. So I'd change the ketoade recipe to "up to 1/4 tsp" but I think half that might be better once you know your sodium levels have been fine for some time, as you'll have a reserve that is preserved. Healthy sodium levels preserve magnesium and potassium levels.

Sodium>mag>potassium

So I don't supplement lite salt much any more. I do a few healthy shakes in my ketoade and let it be. If you are getting 5000mg of sodium daily, your magnesium over 400mg, and you still have keto flu symptoms, it's ok to supplement it a little to see if that's what you're missing. But otherwise I wouldn't worry obsessively over potassium as long as you are eating a variety of foods.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Try a teapspoon of salt in water if you still need the salt. It's a fast delievery method.

Hope you feel better.

A couple weeks ago I went hiking a ton over the weekend + hotter weather coming back and ended up with horrendous cramps in my thighs that night and feeling terrible the next day. I was pouring salt into my hand and taking it like pills. It probably took a good 1 1/2 - 2 tsp to feel normal.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Calories do look pretty low. Not enough food, not enough salt, bound to feel like rubbish. I take a magnesium tablet every day, and have a lot of salt, and I feel great but I know if I don't have enough salt I start to feel awful.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    Please:... I still feel like *kitten*. Like I'm going to fall over. Take a look at today's diary..... tell me what you think.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Please:... I still feel like *kitten*. Like I'm going to fall over. Take a look at today's diary..... tell me what you think.

Are you on blood pressure or diabetes meds?
  • EryOaker
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Are you on blood pressure or diabetes meds?

No. I do have naturally low BP though. Around 90-110 for the top number and 60/70 for the bottom number. I haven't measured it lately as I don't have a machine.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    Went to cvs. It was 102/68.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    How much sodium have you supplemented today?
  • EryOaker
    Options