I don't know what I'm doing

Options
I'm probably just overthinking. But looking at my macros I must be doing something wrong. I still have dinner left to eat for the day and I'm already over my fat and protein. I have only carbs left. What do I do? If I still stay on track with my daily calories does it matter?should I just be done eating for the day? I'm trying to get into ketosis and I desperately want to lose weight. Help.

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    What are your current calorie/macro goals?
  • gracerichter3213
    gracerichter3213 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    20% Carbs
    20% Protein
    60% Fat
    1,410 calories a day
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You could always just eat more fat and protein - if you are hungry. There are no minimum carb levels so you could eat zero carbs if you wished. A few around here do that because they feel better that way.

You may need to eat smaller meals early on in the day. LCHF food is smaller in volume so if you use size as your meal cue, you can end up eating extra calories without realizing it. A meal of pasta takes up a lot more plate space than a pork chop with a side of asparagus. KWIM?

And of course, if you are not hungry, then don't eat. ;)
  • gracerichter3213
    Options
    I usually have a pretty small breakfast & lunch, but I love to snack. So my snacks throughout the day usually add up to the majority of my calorie count. I also think I have the Keto "flu", I feel really low energy and kind of dizzy. That's probably why I feel so bleh about everything.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Check out the keto flu post in the sticky section at the top of the group. I can't link it. The app is being an idiot.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    20% of 1410 is 282 calories in carbs. 282= 70 total grams of carbs which most would say is too many for ketosis but it does vary. Since you're aiming for ketosis you might want to lower the carbs. That said, you don't have to be in ketosis to lose weight but it helps many with cravings and diminished hunger. The satiation is usually due to higher protein and/ or fat versus carbs. Consider reducing carbs by increasing protein/fat.
  • gracerichter3213
    Options
    I just adjusted my macros to 10% carbs.
    We'll see how that works out!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Since you just started the snacking may help you stay on plan but you'll want to reduce the number of times you eat each day at some point.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Oh. And keto flu is 100% avoidable.
    You just need between 3000-5000mg at the very minimum of sodium EVERY DAY.
    You can feel better in about 15 minutes if you get 1000mg right now.
    Salting your food is not enough.
  • gracerichter3213
    Options
    What's another good way to get sodium?
    Also I didn't know that about eating less meals during the day. I just figured as long as I'm getting all my calories in that's ok?
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Also I didn't know that about eating less meals during the day. I just figured as long as I'm getting all my calories in that's ok?
    I've seen a few threads on it, but I like to warm up a cup of chicken stock/broth, add a touch of butter and a few shakes on nu-salt. The broth alone gives you the sodium.

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

Dissolve a bouillon cube in the appropriate amount of water and drink 2 boullion cubes per day.
  • gracerichter3213
    Options
    I'll have to buy some bullion cubes then. Thanks y'all!
  • Cynsuccess
    Cynsuccess Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fat bombs may help.with your hunger. There are many recipes, both sweet and savory. Also sodium is key.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Organic Tamari (leaded) has no wheat or sugar and plenty of sodium, if needed for spiking bouillon.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Make your own Gatorade. A.k.a. ketoade.
    8-12oz water
    Mio or other water enhancer/flavoring
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8tsp potassium salt (Lite Salt or NuSalt)(optional- only if you aren't getting a good variety of foods. Most foods have more potassium than we think. Like chicken? Has potassium. Greens? Potassium.)

If you don't do artificial sweeteners:
    Lemon juice (4tbsp) and stevia added to the salty water instead.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's just my opinion but if you're wanting to lose bodyfat, I would not eat fat bombs.

Anyway, the idea behind eating less frequently has to do with tapping into fat storage between the insulin responses that follow eating. You can't burn significant fat when insulin is triggered to deal with food. So you have to allow your body time between meals to utilize body fat.

For example.

3 meals a day. No snacks.
    g48qr6q08mx7.png

3 meals a day with snacks.
    fe2xak1s291z.jpg
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Something to note. Keto is great, but it's not magic. If you overeat on your calories you won't lose weight. What does that mean? You need to budget them for the day, preferably at the start of the day or the day before, so you know what you're going to eat and when. Make sure you have enough for dinner.

I'm on 1430 cals. 20g carbs, 106 each of fat and protein. You don't need to eat 70% fat, whatever you don't eat is burned off your fat stores. Fat is only til satiated.

A normal day for me is:

Breakfast: Coffee with 30ml cream and 14g butter blended in
    Morning Tea: Coffee with 20ml cream
    Lunch: About 250 calories, usually some smoked salmon, or chicken with any combination of boiled eggs, cottage cheese, cucumber, tomato, red onion etc.
    Afternoon Tea: Tea of some kind - rocking the berry fruits blend at the moment but also love a good Lapson Souchan.
    Dinner: roughly 400 cals meat or sausage with zucchini, mushrooms, cauliflower, or broccoli.
    After dinner: coffee with 14g butter blended in, and a protein bar or a tin of smoked oysters, or pate and a cheese stick, roughly 250 cals.

I've been keto for over 4 years, and it's pretty easy once you get into the swing of it. Once your hunger is under control you don't need to snack all the time, it's a bad habit and one you're better off without.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    It's just my opinion but if you're wanting to lose bodyfat, I would not eat fat bombs.

Anyway, the idea behind eating less frequently has to do with tapping into fat storage between the insulin responses that follow eating. You can't burn significant fat when insulin is triggered to deal with food. So you have to allow your body time between meals to utilize body fat.

For example.

g48qr6q08mx7.png

fe2xak1s291z.jpg

Great post!

Makes this small difference vivid and memorable (and shows how to have a happy pancreas).
  • gracerichter3213
    Options

For example.

g48qr6q08mx7.png

fe2xak1s291z.jpg

That was awesome and very informative! Thank you! I'm hoping once my body gets more used to Keto I will be better about not snacking!