getting enough fat

Options
brodi3man
brodi3man Posts: 61 Member
What do you guys eat to keep your fat intake high enough. I've been trained for decades to avoid fats. I know burger, steak and such, but i usually have chicken for lunch and occasionally some tuna.

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I add things like butter, sour cream, olive oil, cheese, etc. to most foods. Also olives and avocados are good healthy fatty snack options. And then there's heavy cream or the coconut oil and butter in coffee trick. I also don't drain the fat when I cook.

Edited to add: I usually have some fat in my coffee (either BPC style or heavy cream), and I like to snack on cheese and olives, or cream cheese and deli meat, or avocado and tuna with mayonnaise.... I find fat to be the easiest part of this WOE.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Before thinking about getting "enough" fat, understand if you are lean, there is at least 60,000 calories of fat on your body to use.

Those who are the most successful understand to keep carbs at or below your limit, get adequate protein (needs are highly variable based on many factors) and eat fat to satiety. There is not a minimum amount of fat you need to consume - ever.

If you focus on eating real food prepared in a delicious way (i.e. meat cooked in butter or other healthy fat or using blue cheese dressing on your salad), it is not hard to get enough fat to be satiated.

I would caution against eating fat just to eat fat or to hit some magical macro. Even now that I am just looking to maintain weight, the only added fat I have is a little coconut/MCT/butter in my coffee. Even that isn't really added for no reason as it actually makes it taste better.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    When making my meals I always think what fat am I adding. Cooking a steak I know I am going to add butter and make some spinach. I am making eggs, I want them spicy, I am using an Olive Oil I have with Cayenne Pepper, topped with sour cream and an avocado. I wont go on, but the point here is, that I am always pairing a moderate amount (never more than 8oz) of protein with a Fat and some vegetable. Getting into this habit and you wont need to question if you have enough.
  • brodi3man
    brodi3man Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Seems like getting back into this its easy to over think the simple stuff.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have BPC in the morning and just don't cut the visible fats from lunch and dinner. This seems to keep me satisfied. I don't add fat in for the sake of adding it in, though.