Help! I need a Training Plan app

Options
Sadiyyah70
Sadiyyah70 Posts: 38 Member
Hi All! I've completed 5Ks and my first 10K using zenlabs' C25K and C210K apps. I've seen mixed reviews on their half marathon app so before buying I wanted to see what else is out there.

I'm 46 but need adult supervision :blush:, so I'm looking for an app that is an actual training plan not just run tracking.

Interested in learning what has worked for folks in this group. What training plan apps (android/iphone/free/paid) have you all used to train for your half marathon?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I made up my own based on hal Higdon I think.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I "hired" a running coach for $150 for the training. We only met once face to face and communicated over e-mail. The plan was updated and sent to me each week on Sunday night. By Saturday, after my long run of the week, I would send her last weeks plan with my comments thereon. "That was tough"; "That was easy" "Tuesday sucked because..." I could give you her e mail if interested.

Probably the same as any other plan you could get on line but was personalized on a weekly basis. Ran my first Half marathon at 61 years of age in 2:17:10. I liked the weekly feedback and being able to "talk" to someone more experienced if a problem arose. Reporting each Saturday also provided some impetus to get the assigned work done. Since she became a contact of mine on Garmin Connect she could tell what I was doing. ;-)

Personal Running Trainer through Amazon has a Half Marathon plan.
  • Sadiyyah70
    Options
    I made up my own based on hal Higdon I think.

Thanks TavistockToad! I've looked at the site and the novice 1 plan as a starting point looks straight forward enough.
  • Sadiyyah70
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Ran my first Half marathon at 61 years of age in 2:17:10. I liked the weekly feedback and being able to "talk" to someone more experienced if a problem arose. Reporting each Saturday also provided some impetus to get the assigned work done. Since she became a contact of mine on Garmin Connect she could tell what I was doing. ;-)

WOW Pondee629 - I love that you ran your first at 61! Your 2:17:10 is awesome and let's me know that my goal to complete in under 2:40 is realistic with the work that I'm committed to putting in. Thanks for the tip about the coach and I'm checking out the plan on amazon for sure.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Sadiyyah70 wrote: »
    Ran my first Half marathon at 61 years of age in 2:17:10. I liked the weekly feedback and being able to "talk" to someone more experienced if a problem arose. Reporting each Saturday also provided some impetus to get the assigned work done. Since she became a contact of mine on Garmin Connect she could tell what I was doing. ;-)

WOW Pondee629 - I love that you ran your first at 61! Your 2:17:10 is awesome and let's me know that my goal to complete in under 2:40 is realistic with the work that I'm committed to putting in. Thanks for the tip about the coach and I'm checking out the plan on amazon for sure.

my first half was in 2:24:23, and i had only run 10.8 miles in training prior to the race.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I also used Hal Higdon training plans for everything from 10K to marathon. I would make adjustments based on my schedule, but they gave me a good base to start from.
  • Sadiyyah70
    Options
    my first half was in 2:24:23, and i had only run 10.8 miles in training prior to the race.

:o Brave soul! And here I am mapping out a 23 week training plan LOL!!
    This is so helpful - confidence building.

• Sadiyyah70
    Options
    I also used Hal Higdon training plans for everything from 10K to marathon. I would make adjustments based on my schedule, but they gave me a good base to start from.

Thanks BeeerRunner. I think that is the route I am going to take. The half is in Sept so this will give me a chance to use his plan to get a full half dry run in, recover, ramp back up, taper and fingers crossed hit the race feeling really good.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

:o Brave soul! And here I am mapping out a 23 week training plan LOL!!
    This is so helpful - confidence building.

I find 12-16 week training plans work best for me... I can get a bit bored of having to run if it's a longer plan than that.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I went in with a goal to break 2:30. Felt good the whole way. Longest training run was 13 miles. Wanted to save the 13.1 for the race to ensure a PB. ;-) Started training for the Half on July 1. Race was September 25. Didn't start cold. Had been running for a while with my first 5K, after a running layoff of about 40 years, in May (29:04). Skipped right from 5Ks (did 5 last year) to the Half. Going back to do a 10K this year.

All that talk about going slow and speed will come with distance holds up.

Enjoy the run.

For those interested, I wrote my experience in this group "Training for a half marathon in September, and all around fitness"
  • Sadiyyah70
    Options
    I went in with a goal to break 2:30. Felt good the whole way. Longest training run was 13 miles. Wanted to save the 13.1 for the race to ensure a PB. ;-)

I am absolutely borrowing that! :)
  • Sadiyyah70
    Options
    I find 12-16 week training plans work best for me... I can get a bit bored of having to run if it's a longer plan than that.

Good point - the 10k plan was 14 weeks and I was well prepared but ready to get on with it!:)

• rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your 1st HM! I just completed my 1st one last Saturday and used the Rundouble half marathon event plan rundouble.com/plans/HME using their app. I had also looked at Hal's plans and I thought they were really good, but I always seem to do better when I can use an app that not only tells me what the plan is, but can track the run as well. I stretched that 12 week plan into about 16 weeks... threw in 5K and 10K races and repeated a couple of weeks with the pre-race taper for those other races. I know this thread is a few weeks old, but if you're race isn't until September, I'm guessing you haven't officially started the training yet.

Now, I am also in need of a new training plan... a maintenance plan. I want to drop from 5 to 4 runs a week but don't want to lose a lot of endurance. I think I will most likely do some more races this year, but haven't really targeted any yet.