Thoughts on being 'stuck' please!

Options
becwana
becwana Posts: 157 Member
Long story short...
Been low carb for a long time - got 7lbs away from goal just before Christmas....never made it!
Since then I hop on and off the Keto wagon - my nemesis is sugar - every time!!!!!!
I'm maintaining steadily at 10lbs above what I set as goal.
The unhelpful voice in my head - the one that wants sugar - is telling me that maybe I am just destined to be this weight and maybe I should be happy and accept myself here - which is admittedly a long way from where I started - but not where I intended to be.
Is that giving up or just being realistic?

Replies

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Depends on how realistic your "goal" was. Were you 19 years old the last time you were that ideal 'goal' weight. Or is that the weight according to some chart? Heck, after having 2 little kids (If those darling cherubs are your babies) maintaining a healthy weight would be considered successful. IMHO, if you aren't always tired or always out of breath, you look good and feel comfortable in your clothes, I'd say there are bigger worries than that last 10 pounds you'd need to starve to maintain. My 2 cents.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are settling. Not understanding your circumstances and if where you want to be is unheathly, but sure sounds as if you want to make excuses for not attaining your goal. If your trying to attain your goal using Keto, cut the sugar out, replace it Truvia or other no cal keto friendly sweetners. You cant hop off an on Keto really. You are not getting and staying in Keto if you do this. My thoughts but if you havent reached your goal why are you giving up and making excuses.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the question...you are maintaining now...what would you change to switch from "loosing" to "maintaining" other than mindset??? Are you going to change your behavior in a switch to maintenance??? Is that change really going to keep you in maintenance or will it shift you back to gaining???

I think long term motivation is extremely difficult to keep. If losing weight isn't motivating anymore, maybe a different fitness goal would be more motivating. Like so many minutes of exercise a week, or lifting a certain weight, or something like that???
  • becwana
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    Depends on how realistic your "goal" was. Were you 19 years old the last time you were that ideal 'goal' weight. Or is that the weight according to some chart? Heck, after having 2 little kids (If those darling cherubs are your babies) maintaining a healthy weight would be considered successful. IMHO, if you aren't always tired or always out of breath, you look good and feel comfortable in your clothes, I'd say there are bigger worries than that last 10 pounds you'd need to starve to maintain. My 2 cents.

Thank you - yes those 2 lovelies are mine - a 1 year old and a 3 year old - I am a healthy weight according to my bmi - but only just - literally the very top end. I think I could maintain at goal if I stopped falling off the wagon every few days!!
    johnnylew wrote: »
    Sounds like you are settling. Not understanding your circumstances and if where you want to be is unheathly, but sure sounds as if you want to make excuses for not attaining your goal. If your trying to attain your goal using Keto, cut the sugar out, replace it Truvia or other no cal keto friendly sweetners. You cant hop off an on Keto really. You are not getting and staying in Keto if you do this. My thoughts but if you havent reached your goal why are you giving up and making excuses.

I already use xylitol and stevia - I just reach for chocolate or cake when I'm stressed - which feels like at least once a week now, whereas before Christmas, it was never. I also feel like I'm making excuses and what you said is actually the dose of reality I needed to hear, which I knew I'd get from this forum - so thank you.

@tcunbeliever - thanks - exercise is not my thing but my health is what initially motivated me, above and over the weight issue - I'm going to do some resign to get re-inspired as you make a good point - it could easily slip back to gaining if I call it maintenance!

• becwana
    Options
    *reading!! Not resign!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Not sure how far you have dropped, but that last little bit can be a bit of a mind game. There can be a piece of you that struggles dealing with attaining the goal because then what?

On the other side, most of us pick a number that is somewhat arbitrary. The first number I picked was too high which I realized once I was there. I reset 2 times and when I hit that lowest number realized I had actually gone too far by about 10 lbs. Now I have been maintaining for the better part of 6 months at a weight that was 10 lbs below my original goal and 10 above my lowest goal. I honestly believe this is the healthiest weight for me as long as I keep doing my current gym routine. If I were to stop or significantly reduce my strength training, I would probably need to drop 10 lbs to not become "skinny fat."

Basically, I am just saying the number on the scale is not the most important part. You need to find where you are the healthiest. That will include making sure you are not subconsciously sabotaging yourself because of some fear around reaching your goal.
  • becwana
    Options
    @cstehansen - I've dropped about 60lbs overall - (took me a while as I had a baby in the middle of it!) it came off relatively easily right up till this last 10lbs!! Thanks for the advice - based on feeling rather then a number,I'd say I'm probably not quite done yet :/
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Take a long hard honest look at your food diary (I haven't looked at yours). Do you go by net carbs or total carbs daily? The chocolate cake you reach for, is it Keto-friendly...that is, do you make it at home from healthy "flours," healthy fat and sugar substitutes? By simply changing from doing something as simple as tracking TOTAL carbs vs. net carbs every day paired with making LCHF-safe "treats" at home could help you see some downward movement. How many carbs per day do you typically aim for? Do you eat a lot of dairy and/or cheese? Do you eat a lot of nuts? If so, try cutting back on both dairy and nuts because they sometimes stall people out. Consider trying a fat fast or even an egg fast. Wishing you luck whatever you decide! :)