NSV @ the gym!! (a lenghty post)

Options
NelsonKatelyn
NelsonKatelyn Posts: 120 Member
As an accountant by day, I have a brain that finds satisfaction in numbers. Especially when those numbers are my weight and inches shrinking. But I've been pretty discouraged since I started this challenge, because I only lost 1 pound, just to gain it right back!! But this week, I had my "ahh-ha!" moment.

I meet with a trainer every Monday and she switches up my routine for the following week. The first time I met with her was March 6. I was super intimidated by the equipment and everyone else in the gym. After I left my first session with her, I thought there's no way I can do all that, especially in a gym full of people who know what they're doing! I managed to make it back to the gym twice that week, both early in the morning. And both times I only did the exercises that didn't require the use of any machines. The gym I go to has a large room adjacent to the equipment room, so that's where I would do all my squats, butt-kicks, etc. Midweek, she sent me a text to ask how I was doing. So I totally confessed my gym sins and told her how I had been doing half the routine because of all the other people out on the equipment. She assured me it would get better.

During my next session with her, she had a whole routine set up for me that I could do in that side room, with the agreement that each week she would incorporate a new machine or two into the equation to help get me comfortable. I was so relieved! I made it to the gym 5 times that week. I was actually looking forward to it.

So now to the point of this whole rant--that very first session, she put me on the pec fly machine at 55 lbs. It was so hard! I couldn't get the bars in front of me without her helping a little. Fast forward to this week's session, she put me back on that machine, again at 55 lbs, and I busted it out like it was nothing!! I was shocked! This was the moment I realized my body WAS changing, even though my weight hadn't budged. I still have a little apprehension when I pull into the parking lot and there are more cars than I'd like to see, but I finally feel like I belong there. Is that a weird statement? lol I always felt out of place at gyms, because most people there were always fit and doing everything with ease.

When I meet with her this upcoming Monday, she is going to take my measurements again. She usually does them every 4 weeks, but I'll be on vacation the week after (Caribbean cruise!!!) so we have to do it a week early. I'm hoping to see some inches lost, but I also realize that this is a process, and I need to allow the time for changes to take shape.

Whew, that was long! AND!! I've packed my workout clothes to take on the cruise; our room is even on the same deck as the gym so my husband and I are going to try our best to make it in there!

Replies

• Mjtckwnow
    Mjtckwnow Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    @NelsonKatelyn great post! Isn't is amazing to be able to feel these results and get stronger!

Strong is the new skinny!
  • shangrilamama
    shangrilamama Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Great post and you're doing fantastic!

I can tell you from experience that the gym on the ship will be hopping in the morning. I honestly have never gone in the afternoon or evening so I can't tell you what the crowd level will be like at those times. Have fun on the cruise!
  • megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Great job @NelsonKatelyn Sometimes these are the moments that can mean so much more than any scale or measurements. Keep up the great work - and enjoy your vacation!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    This is awesome Kate! Keep it up. A victory is a victory. :D
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Yeah!