Tapioca/yuca/cassava problem

Options
homesweeths
homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
Found Otto's cassava flour at the local nutrition store and had been hearing about how you could bake with it, substituting in most recipes cup for cup of wheat flour.

One of my kids is gluten intolerant, so I thought this might make gluten free baking easier. I don't eat gluten free baked goods very often as they bother my gut. I always thought it was the rice flour.

But I reacted horribly to the single scone I ate. Maybe it's been the tapioca starch in my gf flour mix all along.

I did some research and found that tapioca/cassava has a similar protein structure to latex, and I'm allergic to latex, so...

Drat. I really thought I'd found the solution to that rare time when I'd really like a sandwich wrap or scone or roll.

I recently discovered I can't cook with coconut anymore (the milk, the flakes, the flour--can still do the oil, thankfully).

And I can't do that Paleo darling, plantain. So, no gf baked goods for me anymore, I guess.

Replies

• annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Chestnut flour? It has a natural sweet taste, so you can use less of any other sweetener. I have only used it once for a crepe like dessert, but it worked out well for me.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    I will have to try it! I think I'll have to order it from Amazon.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I was about to recommend arrowroot, but I looked it up and it looks like it's related to cassava. What about almond flour? I personally wouldn't want to use almond or any nut flour because when you think about it, that's a lot of nuts in whatever amount of flour you're using. But I suppose as an occasional treat....
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Arrowroot related to cassava? Bummer. Will have to look into that. Am thinking about tiger nut flour.
  • Spirit_Goose
    Spirit_Goose Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Have you tried almond flour? That's the most popular one I know of.