Weight Training or Cardio or both

Options
GoldieLaVie
GoldieLaVie Posts: 8 Member
Hi All! If you had to pick the more important type of exercise to start with while on Keto, would it be Weight Training or Cardio? Or are both absolutely necessary? Can you tell I don't like exercise much?

Replies

• SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I do weights twice a week with a trainer. At home I do stretching and kettlebells ( but not too much). If the weather is nice I go for walks.
    I don't do more as my cortisol is a bit high.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I do both. I loved weight lifting (kettlebells) but I noticed that my tummy went down more when I focused on cardio. But my idea of cardio is Zumba or Cize. I absolute loath the treadmill (although I will jump on it when i dont have the time to get to a class).
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I remember being taught that it was important to do both, but I can't remember why.

I only do cardio, not out of any particular philosophy or plan, just that I've been able to fit it into my daily routine and I don't hate it. I was unable to do that with weights.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I do 16 minutes of HIIT exercise on my mini-rebounder in the mornings, usually 5-7 days per week. I do at least 20 minutes cardio on my Total Gym 3-4 times per week, and I do 2-4 days of strength training (usually these sessions take about 1:45 for me to complete a full workout) per week on my Total Gym using the weight bar and adding additional weight. I also quite enjoy walking and usually get some walking in during the course of my work-week by running errands out of the office for my boss...just not an excessive amount though. During the weight-loss portion of my journey, the ONLY kind of exercise I willingly did was walking and over the course of 22.5 months, walking paired with Keto helped me successfully eliminate 167 pounds. I find I much prefer HIIT or Cardio vs. Strength Training but in all honesty, the kind of results I want (and I'm definitely seeing some!!) tend to come from the Strength Training...my least favorite of these activities - ugh! I keep hoping that I'll learn to love strength training but so far that hasn't happened. So I'm firmly in the "both" camp. Cardio is great for calorie burn but strength training excels in toning muscle and helping shape the body.
  • GoldieLaVie
    GoldieLaVie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for such great answers!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I do weights 4 days a week (currently working on a strength program) and cardio 1 day a week (a modified interval training session).

Intervals tend to not be as hard as HIIT but are much more energetic than steady-state cardio. The interval program that I am currently doing is like this (I use the eliptical or a cross-trainer). The total workout takes 16-24 minutes depending on how many intervals I perform:

2 min warm-up (a little faster than a moderate walk)
    then 1 minute intervals at a jog pace, running pace and sprint pace - repeat as many times
    as you can handle - I do at least 4 intervals and as many as 6.
    2-3 minute cool-down (moderate walking pace).

One thing that you need to be aware of is that there are studies that show that long routines that involve steady-state cardio (using the same pace for over 20 minutes) has a tendency to increase the hunger signals in the body. YMMV, but just something to be aware of.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    If I only had to pick one, then weights, definitely. You don't want to lose a bunch of weight and end up skinnyfat. Also increasing your muscle mass increases your resting metabolic rate so then your TDEE goes up automatically.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of exercise either. Have started and stopped different things a dozen times over the past 2 years.
    The thing I stick with the longest (a whole 8 weeks or so!) was weight lifting. I liked it more than anything else. I think it's because it felt more productive.
    The only reason I stopped was because I had to let my gym membership go while I wasn't getting much work in the slow season.
    Just started back up today though!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I know that strength training is important but right now I just can't get interested enough to make it a priority. Walking, for me, is exercise plus meditation so it's easier to work it in.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I know that strength training is important but right now I just can't get interested enough to make it a priority. Walking, for me, is exercise plus meditation so it's easier to work it in.

YESSS. I know, like really know I need to do more strength training. I hate it. ug. Running, I'm all over that. maybe I'll run with arm weights or something. bah.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »

YESSS. I know, like really know I need to do more strength training. I hate it. ug. Running, I'm all over that. maybe I'll run with arm weights or something. bah.

I have all the equipment for heavy lifting in my garage. Seriously. I even did a round of New Rules of Lifting for Women but I did not really enjoy it. I have a couple of DVDs that do dumbbell routines, can't get into it. I did get a pretty good upper body workout a couple of weeks ago pulling up carpet, though. That was actually fun.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    maybe I'll just start doing reps with the laundry detergent or milk when I go to Costco.......
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I do both resistance exercise, and cardio. Recently added a weighted Hula Hoop that I am enjoying.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    HermanLily wrote: »
    I do both resistance exercise, and cardio. Recently added a weighted Hula Hoop that I am enjoying.

Now this I could maybe get into, though most of my calorie burn will probably be from laughing at myself.

Wondering if a person can get a job pulling up carpet.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    maybe I'll just start doing reps with the laundry detergent or milk when I go to Costco.......

Forego the cart and do walking lunges from the entrance back to your car :D
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    Lunges are the devil.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Lunges are the devil.

I will just say leg day is the devil.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    had leg day yesterday, today it hurts to get out of my chair at work... just sayin'
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    I have a DVD works the legs but I can't for the life of me understand why I need to do 6 types of squats, working all leg muscles and the butt, as Gilad so cheerfully points out, and then do lunges. My current walking route includes stairs so I figure that's enough for now, lol.