What's your carb ceiling?

Options
Rob_in_MI
Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
Hi all. I hopped into the low carb wagon about 6 months ago to shave off 10-15 pounds. I ended up down 20# and pretty happy with this dietary style. (Me and cheese/jerky are old friends). I started off trying to stay at 25 carbs per day. Now I kind of cycle on/off on the weekends. How do you guys manage yours?

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    bqb2em1rnks5.jpg

I'm very sensitive to carbs :'(

>:) or o:)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Since nearly all of my favorite foods are keto friendly, and I am now just maintaining weight, I don't specifically track. That said, nearly all of my carbs come from spinach, jalapeños, celery, cheese, zucchini and minimal amounts of seasonings I use in my cooking like garlic. Based on when I was tracking, I would say most days my total is below 30 g a day with close to half of those being fiber so if you are a net carb person, then the answer would be closer to 15 g a day.

For me, the consistency is big. Changing up on the weekends just doesn't work very well. For instance, Saturday I went to Texas Roadhouse where they have the peanuts in the shell at the table. Clearly, I am not going to eat the bread, so I munched away on those peanuts. Based on the shells, that probably doubled my normal carb intake for the day. I think that is why by BG got a bit wonky on Sunday and this morning.

I have made such great progress with my BG, which is my primary objective here, it just isn't worth it to me to stray from the straight and narrow. Besides, as I mentioned above, I LOVE the food I do eat. BACON, STEAK, CHEESE!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    My "limit" is 20, but some days I am closer to 10. Every now and then I am low 20's.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    35g daily. I average between 20-40g
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My maximum for net carbs is 30g, and ideally under 20g. For total carbs I try and keep it under about 40g.

I seem to be a bit lucky though that I'm not as sensitive to carbs as some folks.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I started at keep it strictly under 10g. I slowly started getting lazier and worked my way up to 20g and now I am sitting around 30g. I am hating it because I am starting to feel a little bloated again (lived my pre-keto life bloated everyday). So I am trying to get down to strict 10g.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    50 for sure, though I've been working to get it lower.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    During weight loss, I mostly tried to stay under 20-30 net. After the first couple of months I increased that a little bit; my macros for the most part over the past year have been set to 15C/65F/25P. Right now I'm shifting back into maintenance mode so as I'm gradually increasing calories, my carb ceiling is edging higher. I'm thinking about aiming for 50-80gm/day for maintenance long-term but we'll see how it goes. I know carb quality makes a big difference to me, too, so I'm trying to get the bulk of those carbs from veggies, a little fruit, maybe some legumes (plus nuts and dairy) and not so much from random junk. ;)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I never deliberately add carbs to any food, or meals I have. I work to omit them, so on that basis I would say I'm a zero-carb gal. However, some foods naturally have carbs, and calculating the average I have consumed, I'm doing around 14 - 15/day....
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    40g/day now hat I'm in maintenance. At my lowest carb intake per day during the weight-loss portion of my journey, I was eating 20g/day. I like the wiggle room 40g/day gives me. Most of my carbs now come from nuts (nut flours in LC stuff I've baked or made at home), dark chocolate, a little bit more vegetables and fruit.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    (overdid it tonight by 13g's, - added roasted barley to a dish for 2 - but I haven't gone over once yet.... still, there's always tomorrow to rein it back in again - !)
  • WG_Keto
    WG_Keto Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it under 30. Most day I have around 20ish. But everyone will be different I'm sure.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've been around a few years ....50g-100g a day
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Mine averages 30 total or less. I don't look at net often since my carbs are probably 90% from above ground vegetables.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've only been at this a month, and I keep my total carbs at 50 or fewer. I'm at almost exactly 20 pounds gone since 3/9. It's amazing.
  • NoortjeGrolsch
    NoortjeGrolsch Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm only on my fourth week of eating LCHF, and the most carbs I've eaten was 42g. in a day. It didn't seem to stall me but I didn't want to risk it.
    I've lost 4kg since March 20th
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm currently experimenting with leangains - max 75 on rest days, and 222 on training days
  • NoortjeGrolsch
    NoortjeGrolsch Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Sorry, I'm new to this and I am wondering what you mean.
    Are you trying to lose weight at the moment or are you on maintenance?
    Is it that you instantly come out of the keto-zone or do you get diarrhea?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Sorry, I'm new to this and I am wondering what you mean.
    Are you trying to lose weight at the moment or are you on maintenance?
    Is it that you instantly come out of the keto-zone or do you get diarrhea?

I will let him answer for himself, but after eating this way for several months, I ate a bunch of popcorn (used to be a favorite) and felt a bit bloated and my face broke out with acne.

That was when I realized that since changing to keto, my acne had completely cleared up. Being 46 yo and ALWAYS having acne was annoying. I thought it extremely unfair to have both acne and gray hair. 3 1/2 weeks after the popcorn incident, and I am down to the remnants of the last zit. So that is MY sensitivity to carbs.