Thanks for joining!

Options
♡MyCurves
♡MyCurves Posts: 104 Member
How long have you guys been doing keto? Negatives & positives that you've experienced?

Replies

• shawnp2
    shawnp2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been in ketosis for 10 days and on MFP for less then that. I use test strips to make sure. I have already lost a few pounds. I drink Bulletproof Coffee with MCT oil in the morning and don't eat food till lunch (just a juice and coffee till noon). At lunch I eat Wild Planet Sardines in Olive Oil and a crustless quiche with cheese and bacon. I also eat a half avocado and some cucumber. For dinner I eat a plate with a ton of veggies cookied in EVO and a smallish portion of protein (vs. what I used to eat). My window in which I eat is from noon-6:30 pm only. It seems hard but it is not if you drink several cups of bulletproof coffee with natural gas fed butter and MCT oil in it.

I lift weights some days and jog on others and on weekends I do both. So far so good. Positives-weight loss, when in keto I dont ever feel like I am starving.
    Negative-I need to find more variety to eat to hit my fat intake targets. Many things I eat will feel repitive soon. I keep reminding myself "Food is Fuel."
  • ♡MyCurves
    Options
    Yes true. I'm usually getting my fat with my grass fed butter-kerriGold (.5-1tbsp put in my bullet proof coffee) or from my coconut oil when I fry up my eggs and hotdogs. I sometimes do a fast. I'll only have 1c of bullet proof coffee; only with butter & heavy whipping cream, when I'm fasting...no juice..as that's high in sugars and carbs...just cucumber or lemon water. I love the macros tool on this site, as it helps me see what I'm needing more of throughout the day! Right now I'm doing 75% fat, 20% protein & 5% carbs. There's beef Jerky sticks (look at nutrition), pork rinds (carbless), tuna/albacore, eggs, nuts (look at nutrition) etc...snacks i use to reach my macros, when I'm lagging.
  • shawnp2
    shawnp2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Nice...I forgot about pork rinds! I need to get some. Thanks for the tip!
  • ♡MyCurves
    Options
    Np!
  • lwearn
    lwearn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a total newbie to all of this! I've been in ketosis for about 10 days. I'm not a huge coffee drinker (a sin living here in Seattle), but I do drink a bullet proof chai tea religiously, every morning. My snacks mostly consist of almonds, beef sticks, string cheese. I hope to start working out a few time a week starting next week! Any advice on keto and working out?

Negatives? For me, there really aren't many. I have refractory epilepsy. So, being keto is a huge plus for helping me with my seizures anyway! Finding a way to make it work for the rest of my family as well would be lovely. Also, remembering to eat. I'm so used to just binge eating a gigantic meal at the end of the day, but I'm slowly changing my ways!
  • ♡MyCurves
    Options
    lwearn wrote: »
    Hi! I'm a total newbie to all of this! I've been in ketosis for about 10 days. I'm not a huge coffee drinker (a sin living here in Seattle), but I do drink a bullet proof chai tea religiously, every morning. My snacks mostly consist of almonds, beef sticks, string cheese. I hope to start working out a few time a week starting next week! Any advice on keto and working out?

Negatives? For me, there really aren't many. I have refractory epilepsy. So, being keto is a huge plus for helping me with my seizures anyway! Finding a way to make it work for the rest of my family as well would be lovely. Also, remembering to eat. I'm so used to just binge eating a gigantic meal at the end of the day, but I'm slowly changing my ways!

WELL....I'm going to say...if you're losing weight with just the eating on keto...keep the workouts to strength training and or low impact, unless you're going to eat enough to support a high impact/intense workout. I'm only saying that from my experience. I hit a 2 week plateau bc i started working out for an hour after work at least 5-6× a week. Weight was NOT falling off anymore. So just be careful. I know we really don't count calories, but I'd say that's needed if you're going to do high impact workouts. I was only eating like 900-1k call daily bc i was not hungry, then burning like 600 cals during my workout. No bueno. I haven't worked out this week and I finally got over my plateau. I'm hitting my macros like a champ; 5-carb, 70-fat,25-pro Ordered a yoga mat, bands and stability ball..going to try something like that for me. I think it'll work well. I will probably reintroduce strength training like 20 min every other day, soon as well.
  • glennnc0c0
    glennnc0c0 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Heyy! I've been doing the ketogenic diet for 2 weeks now. I feel great and not being hungry all the time is awesome, but sometimes I have trouble hitting my macro goals because I'm not hungry and don't want to stuff myself.
  • Ells30
    Ells30 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Following* i am starting keto and have already been lower carb the past couple years but still show a touch of insulin resistance so i thought I would go keto for that and more fat loss.. im hoping to keep energy up for my crossfit and bootcamp classes..
  • ♡MyCurves
    edited January 2017
    Options
    glennnc0c0 wrote: »
    Heyy! I've been doing the ketogenic diet for 2 weeks now. I feel great and not being hungry all the time is awesome, but sometimes I have trouble hitting my macro goals because I'm not hungry and don't want to stuff myself.

I get what you're saying..that was me...but it's important to hit them. If you're lacking in the fat dept. I always add a bullet proof coffee with 1tbsp kerrigold salted butter and 1-2tbsp. Coconut oil...or heavy whipping cream. It's a great go to when I'm needing the fat and im not wanting to eat. With this new lifestyle..I'm rarely hungry. If you're needing some protein..tuna/albacore, fish, boiled/fried eggs, pork rinds, beef jerky (just watch those sugars)...etc. I'm usually eating 2 meals and have 2-3 "snacks" daily.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have been ketoing on and off for 2.5 years
    Serious focus on weight loss for 2 months.

I adhere to a non medical keto approach to weight loss with keto (less fat, I have enough fat on my body without eatingit in excess). The only goal I have is my protein, carbs I count as total not net and fat is to make up calories. I still eat at a deficit and track fairly strictly.
    I've lost 12.4 kg (27 pounds) in the last 63 days.
    (Edited to add weight loss )
  • healthersize10
    healthersize10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been in Ketosis for 16 days now, this is my third attempt. The first two times I couldn't get pass the Keto Flu stage, I would always give up. I got through it this time because I was better prepared with the right supplements and no distractions. The keto flu is no joke and I would advise anyone who is just starting to be prepared for this phase. You will experience the car slamming on the breaks and going into reverse on day 4-7. Don't have any plans to leave your bed. I'm back in drive...So, here I go!
  • ♡MyCurves
    Options
    I've been in Ketosis for 16 days now, this is my third attempt. The first two times I couldn't get pass the Keto Flu stage, I would always give up. I got through it this time because I was better prepared with the right supplements and no distractions. The keto flu is no joke and I would advise anyone who is just starting to be prepared for this phase. You will experience the car slamming on the breaks and going into reverse on day 4-7. Don't have any plans to leave your bed. I'm back in drive...So, here I go!

Hm...well i had the headaches, dizzy spells and not feeling well over all a week or so in. Not sure if that was part of the "flu"...but i continued to work and what not.
  • Bella954
    Bella954 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    shawnp2 wrote: »
    I have been in ketosis for 10 days and on MFP for less then that. I use test strips to make sure. I have already lost a few pounds. I drink Bulletproof Coffee with MCT oil in the morning and don't eat food till lunch (just a juice and coffee till noon). At lunch I eat Wild Planet Sardines in Olive Oil and a crustless quiche with cheese and bacon. I also eat a half avocado and some cucumber. For dinner I eat a plate with a ton of veggies cookied in EVO and a smallish portion of protein (vs. what I used to eat). My window in which I eat is from noon-6:30 pm only. It seems hard but it is not if you drink several cups of bulletproof coffee with natural gas fed butter and MCT oil in it.

I lift weights some days and jog on others and on weekends I do both. So far so good. Positives-weight loss, when in keto I dont ever feel like I am starving.
    Negative-I need to find more variety to eat to hit my fat intake targets. Many things I eat will feel repitive soon. I keep reminding myself "Food is Fuel."

YouTube has great recipies, just make sure the macros are up to par with yours
  • ♡MyCurves
    Options
    Thanks for your post!
  • SandyFromNJ
    SandyFromNJ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been looking for some keto folks and found your group. I started Keto in January 2017. I lost four pounds in January. I don't know how much in February because I was becoming addicted to the scale. I weight myself again on March 1st.
  • Watchjessmelt
    Watchjessmelt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    20 days of Keto - I have tried it in the paast but never had enough will power to stay with it long term. I feel amazing. i have done tons of research and believe that I have finally found what works for me. I still have a sweet tooth but nothing like it was before. I've been on every diet in the book but this is truly a way of life. i don't feel deprived. I have been out to corporate dinners and events with my children and I manage to stay in Ketosis. Before I would use any excuse to stop "dieting". I really don't have any negatives, pros are I am cooking much more than I used to, I never thought I had time to cook, but when you really want to do something you can! Wishing you all the best on this journey. Feel free to add me!
  • andreasoulcastle
    andreasoulcastle Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    How long have you guys been doing keto? Negatives & positives that you've experienced?

Hi ! extremely new to this! Today is my 3rd day doing this and so far no Keto flu symptoms (I was advised to up my potassium and sodium intake for this- Is this true? What do you all do for this? So far I have been using Mio Electrolyte drops in my water and a daily multivitamin, plus salt on my food). I definitely need to find more recipes, and possibly more prepping my food-as I just started this week off extremely simple. String Cheese, nuts, boiled eggs, lots of veggies, minimal protein at dinner, using ghee to cook with and drizzling avocado oil on my foods. I used Keto strips and am currently in ketosis. I weighed myself this week and lost 4.6 pounds from last week...so even though that is probably all water weight...I am feeling giddy.

I am worried that I will hit a wall eventually....I NEED to lost 80+ pounds. Any advice helps.

• ♡MyCurves
    Options

Hi ! extremely new to this!..........
    I am worried that I will hit a wall eventually....I NEED to lost 80+ pounds. Any advice helps.

Well... I've hit several walls and I'm 3 months in. You just have to stay strong and maybe tweak some things in your eating/activity...it can be VERY frustrating. -_- toy can see the vitimines I take under the vitamin post.
  • need2move2
    need2move2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have been following this life style a month today! I have lost -11. So.. far very positive for me... I was lucky and did not suffer the Keto flu. Feel awesome and lots of energy. Looking forward to any and all advice.
    :)
  • kgibbz
    kgibbz Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Today is solid day 2, but I spent all of last week easing in. I've lost 3lbs so far, but still super new. I'm concerned about the keto flu hitting shortly but I'm keeping up with my water, and salt. I'm going to get the electrolyte drops too.