Weight Loss Pattern.... Time.

Options
Elyseinchi
Elyseinchi Posts: 71 Member
Let me start by saying I am NOT complaining. But I was just reading the post about stalls... and I too know they are so very real... I had a 10 day stall that felt as if I had been stalled for at least a month. (It must be that daily weigher syndrome!) Anyway...

My question to everyone is this: knowing that everyone loses differently depending on their age / how much they have to lose, etc... what has your monthly or weekly pattern looked like? I am feeling great! Quite empowered actually, but I feel and I think I am right, that I am losing slower than most... a pound maybe a little more a week (unless in a stall pattern) Maybe I need to tweak my intake and exercise a bit but I really thought that after having surgery when everyone talked about their honeymoon period, that I would more easily be dropping 12 pounds / month or more at least in the first three months.

Here are my stats:
Pre-surgery (jan 17, 2017): 232
Surgery Date (jan 30, 2017): 222
Today (4/5/2017) 198.6

I typically eat between 800-1200 cals / day. 80-120 protein. probably could drink a little more water. Exercise 3 x week. Getting in 7-8000 steps a day.

I have had a hard time getting the protein shakes in... (ugh) I typically had cottage cheese with genepro in the morning, an atkins bar / think thin bar as snack (once or twice /day) lean protein (chicken / fish) with some veggies. or tuna salad made with greek yogurt and onion. blueberries frozen. (Maybe I need to get rid of the atkins bars?

Thanks. for your information and advice. xo

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Looks to me like you're doing perfect! Weight loss isn't linear. I always recommend as much "real" food as possible. The less processing the better.

A guy in my support group says I'm on the "one-ingrediant diet". Most of the food I buy only has one ingredient, or very few.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was just whining about this! I had my sleeve on 2/22. I had the week 3 stall that lasted 9 days and the scale moved .4 pounds today after 8 days at the same weight. I think it may just be my pattern and I need to not let it frustrate me. You're a month ahead of me, but I don't think I could get to 1200 calories. I'm usually around 750. Yesterday I went over 800 for the first time. I don't think 1200 is bad, but it's higher than I have seen many people be able to get so early. So long as it's fitting in your surgeon's plan, then go for it!
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have had stalls and small gains here and there. I prefer real food but having a shake in the morning and a hard boiled egg or a yogurt is great for the morning and lots of water...
  • Elyseinchi
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! Really! I know this is my new lifestyle but so much of what I read and videos I watched said that the first 6 months were the honeymoon phase and to get the bulk of the weight off during that period! I am 10 weeks out and down a total of 35. That includes my 2 week pre-diet where I lost 10 pounds. I feel better than I have in years but I want this life style to bring me to a proper weight (120-140) and to stay there. I know I am preaching to choir and I truly appreciate everyone's input. I think I am going to do away with the bars every day. Try to up my water and exercise and eat more natural proteins.
  • khall1985mfp
    khall1985mfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done 2/15/17, so almost 2 months ago. I had gained 10 lbs at my one week follow up (apparently from fluids in the hospital and my body being stressed). In the next three weeks I lost a lot of weight. I'm currently down about 45 lbs from my highest weight weigh-in. I'm super happy about that, but I've been stalled for the last 2.5-3 weeks (honestly I don't know, but it feels like it's been forever). The start of my stall coincided with me going back to work. I don't know if maybe I should be eating more or drinking more or what, but it's starting to get frustrating. My weight seriously hasn't budged at all. I've talked to a friend who had the same surgery and she said that she stalled like that in the second month too. I thought it wouldn't happen to me because I have more to lose than she did. I eat about 450-600 calories a day and drink 50-60 oz of water. I don't understand how I'm not losing weight only eating that much. I trust that if I keep doing what I'm supposed to I'll start losing again, I'm just frustrated at the current moment.
  • Elyseinchi
    Options
    #khall1985mfp, I feel your frustration. And as everyone has written on here... stalls are normal... really. I spoke to my NUT today and she said - look at your weight loss as stairs... you go down... hit a platform... stay... then go down again. They say that helps so our body adjusts to the new weight... but honestly I feel your pain. I wish I was down 45 ... I am only down 35 and only 25 since surgery. Maybe you need some more calories? And make sure you are getting enough protein in..... I just friended you. :)
    I had the sleeve done 2/15/17, so almost 2 months ago. I had gained 10 lbs at my one week follow up (apparently from fluids in the hospital and my body being stressed). In the next three weeks I lost a lot of weight. I'm currently down about 45 lbs from my highest weight weigh-in. I'm super happy about that, but I've been stalled for the last 2.5-3 weeks (honestly I don't know, but it feels like it's been forever). The start of my stall coincided with me going back to work. I don't know if maybe I should be eating more or drinking more or what, but it's starting to get frustrating. My weight seriously hasn't budged at all. I've talked to a friend who had the same surgery and she said that she stalled like that in the second month too. I thought it wouldn't happen to me because I have more to lose than she did. I eat about 450-600 calories a day and drink 50-60 oz of water. I don't understand how I'm not losing weight only eating that much. I trust that if I keep doing what I'm supposed to I'll start losing again, I'm just frustrated at the current moment.

• jodiwarren2014
    jodiwarren2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just went for a post op visit yesterday with my doctor. I was sleeved on 11/23/16.

HW: 323.8
    SW: 228.0
    CW: 173.4
    GW: 130-135
    I am 5' 0" tall!

I was just told that during your 0-6 months post op you should be consuming a min of 850-1000 calories a day .... that is with min exercise, like walking a few times a week. If you are doing any vigorous exercises 3x or more a week, those days you should increase your calories to 1200 a day.
    I am working out 3x or more and doing cross fit at the moment and getting approx 900 calories a day. She told me the reason for my stalls was because I wasn't eating enough and that my body was most likely in starvation mode. If you think you are eating very low calories, you probably are and need to up them. I burn about 2500 a day (according to fitbit) and my doctor was not impressed with my calorie intake. I was told to up it another 300 at the least on the days I work out.
    Your body needs the fuel and good carbs to keep running properly! Choose healthy fats and simple carbs, up your calories to the recommended amount and drink drink drink and your scales should start moving!!

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I always say eat MORE! :) After around 6 months you should be eating like you plan on eating rest of your life. After a couple months I probably never ate less than 1,500 calories. And now I probably average 2,500. I'm at a good weight and more importantly EVERY OTHER MEASURE of HEALTH is good. Weight is not be all end all. It's a number we see on a small electric device we step on.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I was sleeved on August 23rd. I eat close to 1200 calories a day - some days a little more and some days a little less. I've been sitting at 180.2 for the last two weeks. This has been my first stall since surgery. I'm not freaking out over it as I went off KETO so I expected a shift in weight.

This is what my doctor told me - the first three months you are guaranteed to lose weight. After you start incorporating real food back into your diet it all falls on your shoulders. So I just pay attention to my weight loss patterns and what I'm eating during my good and bad weeks. I track and weigh EVERYTHING I eat. The only time I slack is if we eat out - which is maybe once every two weeks.

My biggest advice is talk to your nutritionist and track absolutely everything. I keep a food scale in my office at work and at home. Stalls are completely normal and sometimes you can figure them out and sometimes our bodies are just messing with us!

And maybe....incorporate a little healthy fat into your diet. Try tossing in something high fat (I know, SCARY!) but your body might just need a little shock.