Keto Confessions

Options
124»

Replies

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    My confession is: I find it hard to read these posts with all the abbreviations (BPC, BG, HWC, etc.), :smiley:

My real confession is that I feel everybody in this group is in this forever, and as much as I would like to become like you all, I can't wait to reintroduce carbs in my life :(

As someone who is not Keto but LCHF I already feel like an outsider in this group sometimes. :tongue: For me, the notion of Slow Carb as a long term weight management solution is useful. I've been really successful over the years maintaining my weight with no processed "white" carbohydrates and currently, I'm not really consuming beans, legumes, or things like sweet potatoes, I would like to re-introduce them for maintenance.

You're not an outsider. At least one of the mods is a slow carber and I think at least one of the posters here does keto/carb cycling. When I started I was more of the LCHF with carbs at around 100.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @NoortjeGrolsch @mmultanen and @Steph_Maks

This is a good study for you:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3402009/#_jmp0_

If you are not the super nerd I am, the short version of it is the type of carbs are far more important than carbs themselves. Clearly LCHF and keto have been shown to be among the most effective weight loss strategies out there, if not the most effective. However, it may not be a fit for everyone long term if they do not have a need to stay on it (i.e. neurological disorder, diabetes, thyroid dysfunction, etc.).

What I like about this study is rather than talk about high GI (glycemic index) foods and low GI foods, it makes it much simpler, IMO. It breaks it down into carbs that have cell walls and those that don't.

In other words, if it is directly from a plant in unadulterated form, the carbs are inside a cell wall of that plant and much of it will reach the large intestine undigested which accomplishes 2 things. First, it feeds the good bacteria in your gut. Second, it does not spike your BG.

When you eat carbs without a cell wall (all the carbage that usually comes in a box, bag or can in a center aisle of the store), it gets completely digested before reaching the large intestine which can have negative impacts such as spiking your BG and insulin, causing SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), weight gain, etc.

If you are smart about what you eat and have an otherwise healthy metabolism, having a carb intake above what many of us have in this group or what you have while trying to lose weight can work. However, as @Steph_Maks so accurately pointed out, if you go back to eating the SAD, you will go back to the weight and health you had also.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    My confession is: I find it hard to read these posts with all the abbreviations (BPC, BG, HWC, etc.), :smiley:

My real confession is that I feel everybody in this group is in this forever, and as much as I would like to become like you all, I can't wait to reintroduce carbs in my life :(

As someone who is not Keto but LCHF I already feel like an outsider in this group sometimes. :tongue: For me, the notion of Slow Carb as a long term weight management solution is useful. I've been really successful over the years maintaining my weight with no processed "white" carbohydrates and currently, I'm not really consuming beans, legumes, or things like sweet potatoes, I would like to re-introduce them for maintenance.

You're not an outsider. At least one of the mods is a slow carber and I think at least one of the posters here does keto/carb cycling. When I started I was more of the LCHF with carbs at around 100.

2 mods, actually. Sabine is a Slow Carber, and I'm leaning more toward that myself. I keep my carbs between 100 and 140, I like 30 of that to be fiber if I can.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

2 mods, actually. Sabine is a Slow Carber, and I'm leaning more toward that myself. I keep my carbs between 100 and 140, I like 30 of that to be fiber if I can.

I figured there might be more than one but Sabine is the only one I could remember for sure.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 35g daily, but many days it's 40-50g. As I've posted elsewhere, My personal health journey was derailed a bit with 2 difficult pregnancies and time in and out of the hospital. However it's a way of eating that ultimately does work well for me and as I'm now looking to lose another 20 odd lbs (I think...I'm more about the inches and other health benefits) so I'm certainly Low Carb and not necessarily slow carb at the moment. I'm not diabetic, no metabolic disorders, not diagnosed as IR but I think I may be close to the threshold (personal observance) SO long story short....thanks!

And @cstehansen, I'm married to an absolute food nerd, I'll let him read the link then bore me with the details every evening for the next couple weeks. :tongue:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    Overall though, I know that if I were to go back to my old way of eating, I would also go back to my former weight. So the startches, sugars, carbs in general, will always be a rare treat for me, rather than a daily staple.

That's true. For example, I won't eat muesli for breakfast anymore, and definitely cut down on sugars and starches on my daily life, but I had to pass on a trip to Asia because of this diet, because I won't be able to eat keto.

I can do it once because I'm all in until I reach my goal, but that's not the way I am willing to live for the rest of my life.
    When I go next time, I'll enjoy their local delicacies (oh, the mangoes and dragonfruits just don't taste the same here), eat fried rice where and satay where the locals eat and when I come back home, I'll go back to keto to lose all the extra weight.

I guess my point is, I'm OK with committing to LCHF as long as I'm not missing out on life

You can eat Low Carb in Asia, though! In fact it's quite easy as all you need are meat/fish/tofu/ and lower carb greens & veg stirfried up with chili garlic sauce and soysauce. Just stay away from rice or noodles unless they are the konjac kind, and no sugary sauces. (no Nasi Goreng, lol)
  • BinWa
    BinWa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I don't enjoy 85%+ chocolate and savor every piece as if it were delicious,

LOLOL ...same here!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    trish55011 wrote: »
    Coconut oil. Ugh.... Can't use it. When I heard of BPC I thought "OH MY GOSH" there is no way I am putting anything in my coffee other than cream. Well, I tried it. I didn't have any coconut oil so, I melted a tablespoon of butter and poured it in. I figured if I hated it, I would go right back to adding cream. I loved it. Yummy creamy salted butter AND heavy cream in my coffee.... ohhhh my tummy is gurgling with contentment. Then I thought okay now time to try adding both. I melted the coconut oil and butter together, poured it in.... um no-way, no-how. couldn't drink it.... made me gag. Not one to give up, I tried cooking with it.... um, nope. Now the almost full jar of organic cold pressed virgin coconut oil is sitting abandoned in the back of my baking cabinet gathering dust and cobwebs. Not sure why I wont throw it out... Maybe it will get better with age???

Did you blend the coconut oil and butter mixture into the coffee? I have to blend coconut oil into my coffee, it is great then but I forgot and tried to drink some without the blending and I couldn't drink it. I tried butter with CO but I like it with the CO alone best.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I like it all!

Have many of you tried clarified butter (ghee)? A simple way to make it is to just put some butter in the microwave and melt it. Skim off the stuff on top and pour into a jar and don't get the dregs at the bottom. This will make it almost pure fat without any milk sugars (something I think the hardcore LC people would like). It still tastes like butter and can be stored un-refrigerated. It is great to cook with because it will not burn until about 450 whereas butter will burn at about 350. If your saving the stuff you scraped off (the milk sugars) use unsalted butter to make it or it will be very salty (the scrapings).
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Ghee is the nectar of the gods. I bought a jar when I did the Whole 30 a couple years ago. Divine.

My confession is that I love ketchup and can't bring myself to give it up. I splurged 6 grams of carbs on just ketchup today, and it was worth every single carb.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I make batches of my own ghee, and store in the fridge.... God, I love it... Used to use it in my Indian cooking, but that included rice, chappatis, naans, lentils, chickpeas.... Hmmm.. I guess I could make an absolutely LUSH curry without all that crud.... Excuse me... just popping into the kitchen for a while.....
  • blambo61
    Options
    I like cooking eggs with Ghee and fish! Yes that is good!
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I gag on egg whites. Just can't eat them. I like the yolks but always had those on toast with butter so they're out. I've always wished I liked eggs. Just a no go.
  • amyrising
    amyrising Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    y'all are making me crave an avocado

Me too! I love avocado with a little salt!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    edited: If your saving the stuff you scraped off (the milk sugars) use unsalted butter to make it or it will be very salty (the scrapings).

Something else the very LC people will like, those salty scarpings, yummy sodium.
  • blambo61
    edited April 2017
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    edited: If your saving the stuff you scraped off (the milk sugars) use unsalted butter to make it or it will be very salty (the scrapings).

Something else the very LC people will like, those salty scarpings, yummy sodium.

They are milk sugar though so although very salty, they would be carbs. I tried them once and they were way salty! You get those when you make the ghee in the oven and let the sugars caramelized over a longer period of time.