Living The Lifestyle, Wednesday, April 12, 2017.

Options
goldenfrisbee
goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- RedSassyPants
Tuesday -- 88olds
Wednesday -- goldenfrisbee
Thursday -- imastar2
Friday -- Al_Howard

Today's topic: Back in the WW GOAD forum Frank talked about accepting the fact that weight loss and maintenance is difficult for many. Even though we all have friends and family that never seem to struggle, why is that our lot in life is to have to be ever vigilant? It doesn't seem fair, does it? But I can say that about a lot of things for myself and others that I know. Some get cancer and others experience great loss and others never seem to be able to catch a break.

There is a small part of me that wants to lose the weight and once that goal is reached, go back to eating as I used to. I know this is self destructive but it niggles in the back of my brain. Do you ever hit a point where the niggle goes away?

Replies

• MurpleCat
    MurpleCat Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It hasn't happened yet, and I'm down 150#. I'll let you know if I ever feel free of it.

I've accepted it as my reality -- I will never be able to go back to eating as I used to. The consequences now are just too dire and too real to me. But I view it sort of like I view old boyfriends -- sure we had some great times together, but we both knew it wasn't going to work out for the long term. Sometimes I miss certain aspects of those relationships. But that doesn't mean I actually want to get back together with any one of them. Its the same with food -- there are some things I miss about not giving a *kitten* about how much I was eating. But missing those specific things doesn't mean I'll take the whole package back.

• goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a really good and helpful comparison. Thanks so much for that.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    It hasn't gone away for me and I reached goal in 2004. There are still some days where I think, "Maybe eventually I can go back to eating anything I want in any quantity I want." then I jump back to reality and remember that eating that way is what got me 75 pounds overweight the last time around.

I have finally resigned my self to the fact that this is a lifelong thing for me.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,975 Member
    Options
    "I have finally resigned my self to the fact that this is a lifelong thing for me."
    Cindy, that's about the most concise thought about that I've ever heard.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    @MurpleCat
    Hmmm you made me recall some of my old "girlfriends"...
    Bags of M&M Peanuts
    Bags of soft Australian black licorice
    Buckets of popcorn with butter
    McDonalds Quarter Pounder with cheese
    Large fries and Diet Coke,

I had fun with them all but I won't be seeing them anymore.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    I think of it as growing up. I made Lifetime at 56 I think. Its just about limits. Life has limits of all kinds.

Once one of the few "naturally thin" people I met said to me something like- Don't you wish there was a pill you could take and not have to bother with food all the time? Its such a pain in hte butt.

Appears he was thin because food didn't interest or appeal to him much. Just aren't many folks like that.

So, no, I dont think of it as unfair, just the laws of physics. As to the "good old days" as I was saying yesterday, most of that stuff has no appeal. I've just learned that if I don't control my portions, the lbs will creep back. My food scale is still on the counter and gets used every day.

If I feel sad about any of this, its the time I wasted being fat and the way I hid from my extended family. WL is liberation to me. If I have to forego pizza most of the time to maintain, its a great trade.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,962 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's never gone away for me. I've lost 100 lbs this time and 4 times previously. I still have 115 lbs to go. So it's really some sort of a race for me at this point. By that I mean in less then 3 months I'll be 70 so for a long time now I've been doing the math. I know at some point I'm running out of rope.

So now I'm working with both a certified dietitian for a diet taylored for me and a behavioral health worker to assist me with why sometimes I eat the way I do.. We'll see but so far I'm making headway with both.

I'm not expecting the niggle to disappear but honestly it's not a bad as it has been at some points in my life.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    I have no friends or family that are struggle or guilt free about food. Fair? Fair? fuggetabout,shrug it off and lose the wasted fretting. Far fewer than you think are carefree worryfree eaters.

I would have been so dishonest if I had said
    that I would have turned down that magic pill to lose all my excess weight overnight presto pronto. AND eat anything and everything to my heart's desire. Does that change? Not really.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It hasn't gotten beyond a niggle for me, and the niggle is definitely the outlier. I feel strangely fortunate to have gone into WW blindly believing that I'd lose X number of pounds (not knowing what X really was at that time), then live happily ever after. I assumed that meant I'd generally eat and drink like I did before WW. Honestly, I'm glad that I didn't know better. However, now I do.

Today's truth is I've gained in many ways much more than I've given up. There's still room for the occasional venture out in the weeds. However, with minimal 'fight', I realize I'd rather have myself and my abilities and my health (for me and my family) as it is now than it was then. It's a daily choice, realizing I could make the other one any day I want to. So far, more often than not, I choose this path--and the benefits package that comes with it.

One day at a time.
  • mcbluesky
    mcbluesky Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Reality, I never expect the desire to binge on junk to go away completely. However, my goal is to transform into someone who understands the consequences, and thus resists the urges more than I have done in the past. I know it makes me feel terrible physically, not to mention the effect it has mentally to feel out of control. This transformation is a work in progress, day to day, hour to hour, etc.