Mexican tonight - my former binge place

Options
pitbullmamaliz
pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
I have family coming in and they want Mexican tonight. Little restaurant by my house that used to be my go-to for a binge. I'm planning on doing fajitas with no wraps, no beans, no rice, add guac and sour cream. No chips of course. This just feels so dissatisfying though. I guesstimated calories the best I could and it only came up to 500-ish. Obviously I don't want to binge (I don't need chips, I don't need chips, I don't need chips...), but 500-some calories just feels really lackluster. Any other ideas? Maybe get some tacos instead and scrape the fillings out? This is going to be such a test for me. O.o

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    You need more guac & cheese... I can easily make my fajitas 1000 cal, lol ;) Do you need to add more calories to your daily total, though? If you do, try eating a little something before you leave the house so that you feel full after your deconstructed fajitas. You'd have to order a ton of tacos to get a plate of food, I don't think they would be worth it.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    Options
    I need lots more calories, yes, so maybe I'll take your advice and eat before I go. And yep, cheese, that's what I forgot. I'll get lots of cheese. I assume their heavenly cheese sauce/dip has carby crap in it to make it so heavenly? Otherwise I'll slather that all over and be way more excited, LOL.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @pitbullmamaliz I went to a Mexican place recently for a family birthday celebration. I got a fajita salad with sour cream (no guac because I don't like it) and I shared a queso and chorizo dip. If chips call your name, as they do mine, make sure they stay at the other end of the table. I gave in and had a small amount but was sorry I did because my stomach felt icky after eating them, perhaps it was because I don't eat grain or corn any more or perhaps it was guilt - maybe a little of both. Either way, it was not worth it!
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I usually get a steak fajita salad that comes with avocado, egg, etc. It still has carbs of course, but not like eating tortillas and such. I also indulge in a few chips with salsa, but I can usually stop after a few. The steak/avocado/egg combo is very satisfying because we never have steak at home. Have fun!
  • pitbullmamaliz
    Options
    For a hot second I contemplated permitting myself maybe 5 chips, but I don't think I'm emotionally strong enough for that yet. I fear I'd have 5 and then dive head first into the basket and it would be all ugly. ;-)

Fajita salad is another good idea, yes, with scads of sour cream (and guac for me!). Was your queso dip low in carbs? I wondered if they added flour or corn starch or something to thicken it.
  • bametels
    Options
    For a hot second I contemplated permitting myself maybe 5 chips, but I don't think I'm emotionally strong enough for that yet. I fear I'd have 5 and then dive head first into the basket and it would be all ugly. ;-)

Fajita salad is another good idea, yes, with scads of sour cream (and guac for me!). Was your queso dip low in carbs? I wondered if they added flour or corn starch or something to thicken it.

I didn't ask about the queso dip. I made the assumption it had some carbs, because chorizo often had some carbs in it. Whether it did or did not, I knew any carbs in the dip would amount to less than I would consume if I sat there munching away on chips. I ate some of the dip by itself and added some to my chicken fajita salad. It was yummy!

• pitbullmamaliz
    Options
    I like it. I put queso in my food diary and it showed 2 carbs for 1 oz. That's totally do-able and makes dinner much more interesting. Yay!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Not only that...remember that having 10-15 or so extra carbs at dinner for some queso/veggies (or even a small bit of beans if you tolerate them well) to make the meal more satisfying is a FAR FAR better option than faceplanting in to the endless bowl of chips. I also use salsa on my meal, regardless of what it is, as long as I know they make it fresh and don't add sugar... Remember, you aren't aiming for perfection - you're aiming to improve. Personally, and I know this is JUST my OPINION, I'd rather see you overeat a few carbs sticking mostly to plan and being very satisfied with your meal than blast yourself into a binge. You might even be surprised and enjoy the meal MORE without all the carbs. I know I did...

Fajitas (sans tortillas, rice, beans, etc.)
    Dumped tacos
    Tortilla soup is filling - just skip the strips
    Any form of taco salad, without the shell/beans/rice.

Extra sour cream, cheese, guacamole, salsa, queso, etc. Some of these have a few carbs, but it's nice like you're getting it by the gallon.

Remember, too, that getting something like shrimp/shredded pork/ground beef will have more natural fats than lean chicken or lean steak...
  • pitbullmamaliz
    Options
    Thank you. That put things into some good perspective for me. I know I am not going to have chips, so I'm already successful. I used to plow through a whole basket (with cheese and salsa and guac) all by myself. Since I won't be doing that, I'm already winning. That's a really healthy, easily attainable way of looking at things. Thank you!!!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Thank you. That put things into some good perspective for me. I know I am not going to have chips, so I'm already successful. I used to plow through a whole basket (with cheese and salsa and guac) all by myself. Since I won't be doing that, I'm already winning. That's a really healthy, easily attainable way of looking at things. Thank you!!!

Perhaps pick up some backed cheese crisps and take those along to use as "chips" for yourself. Some decent brands are Cello Whisps, Kitchen Table Bakers, Just the Cheese. Trader Joes also carries bake cheese (and Parnsip Chips too which are MUCH lower in carbs pe serving than corn or potato-based chips - you do still need to watch the portion size though)!!
  • canadjineh
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I need lots more calories, yes, so maybe I'll take your advice and eat before I go. And yep, cheese, that's what I forgot. I'll get lots of cheese. I assume their heavenly cheese sauce/dip has carby crap in it to make it so heavenly? Otherwise I'll slather that all over and be way more excited, LOL.

Ask for fresh queso instead of a fakey 'velveeta' style dip. And like KnitOrMiss, I use some of the fresh salsa (it's just chopped veg and herbs at our local favorite) because that tangy veggie flavour punch is worth the few carbs you get in a couple tbsp. Sometimes I just end my meal with a couple tbsp of the salsa, because that is the penultimate flavour of Mexico for me, and fully satisfies my palate.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I have family coming in and they want Mexican tonight. Little restaurant by my house that used to be my go-to for a binge. I'm planning on doing fajitas with no wraps, no beans, no rice, add guac and sour cream. No chips of course. This just feels so dissatisfying though. I guesstimated calories the best I could and it only came up to 500-ish. Obviously I don't want to binge (I don't need chips, I don't need chips, I don't need chips...), but 500-some calories just feels really lackluster. Any other ideas? Maybe get some tacos instead and scrape the fillings out? This is going to be such a test for me. O.o

Do they do carnitas there, pork that is roasted and then fried, just get the lettuce and tomato that most places always include, use the guacamole as your salad dressing. How about chili poblano, most places (around me in CO ) use primarily beef or chicken with some chopped veggies, just make sure they don't use frijoles and rice. Mexican steak salads are usually good too. I eat out Mexican several times a month. No chips and the salsa gets dumped over whatever meat I have usually. Oh and some places do good chicharonnes, so you might want to try those with the guac or the salsa.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    tumblr_lkqkraG6741qhy6c9o1_400.gif
  • bametels
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed it! Isn't it great how yummy low carb foods are and how satiating they are.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @pitbullmamaliz - Kudos!! So glad that you enjoyed it. And yes, it isn't a pretty picture per se, but it tastes yummy!

P.S. Turning a former binge zone into a on plan success story? How much of a win is that?!?!? :)B)