Recipes

Options
Jirachii
Jirachii Posts: 152 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
I thought it would be fun to share recipes that you have tried and really like! I know I have trouble sometimes finding healthy, low calorie recipes that are not chicken or turkey dishes. Don't get me wrong, I love chicken and turkey, but not every single day! (By all means feel free to share chicken and turkey dishes!)

To start us off, here is a recipe that I tried tonight. It's a cheesesteak sandwich knockoff using portobello mushrooms instead of beef. Easily made vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Easily made vegan by using non-dairy cheese.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/248986/portobello-philly-cheese-steak-sandwich/

One serving: one bun and 3/4 cup vegetable mixture.
Calories per serving: 258

I put two servings of vegetables on a wheat sub roll for a total of 490 calories for the whole sandwich. It was really good! :smile:

Replies

• fubarfornow
    fubarfornow Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh, that looks very tasty! I would love to trade recipes. I like mine, but I'm kind of in a rut. I have a recipe for a creamy fresh pasta sauce made with Greek yogurt and tomato sauce. I sautee veggies and use high-fiber pasta (which I think has a bit more protein than regular, and a lot more fiber and fewer calories). I need to find the actual recipe, but will post it when I do.
  • Jirachii
    Options
    I also have a chili recipe that I need to find in the abyss :p
  • ChrisC2013
    ChrisC2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a mushroom person but I have to say that looks really tasty. I'm thinking I at least need to try it.
  • Jirachii
    Options
    The mushroom flavor is certainly there, but I LOVE cooked mushrooms so it was a plus for me. And I love red bell pepper so I had trouble not eating it as I was cutting it haha. Personally I would use more onion than the recipe calls for next time, and maybe not cook half the bell pepper and have that as a crunchy side because I prefer them raw. I love almost anything served on a toasted bun though. Also, most of the calories here come from the bread and cheese. The entire pack of portobellos I used to cook 4 servings totaled up to 60 calories! The olive oil I cooked it in was more than that!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Mostly I've been eating steamed veggies and soups, nothing to brag about.
    For breakfast I make a pot of steel cut oats with banana and cinnamon maybe weekly, then stored in the fridge. I usually fry up a couple of eggs to add on top of the oats.

That sandwich looked soo good. Think I'll make a classic tuna melt tonight, to change it up.
  • anna4anna
    anna4anna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Here is the recipe for my easy Thai Red Curry Chicken. Its a favorite of my husband's and anyone that I've made it for! Its nice and spicy so if you are a spice lover, definitely try this out. I know traditional Thai curries have things like potatoes or carrots etc...but I made this version Keto friendly! Less than 5g carbs per serving, 37g protein and 25g fat. Its very filling and satisfying.

Some notes: I made this recipe Keto so that's why I substituted granulated seasonings as opposed to fresh, this is a Keto "trick" to reduce carbs by not using "throw away" carbs such as onions, garlic, etc. You can also substitute the protein for whatever you like, I probably could've made this more Keto by using chicken thighs in lieu of breasts but my husband prefers white meat. The spice level is regulated by the curry paste, add as much or as little as you like. Leftovers of this reheat perfectly, and spices continue to develop so be mindful that the next day your curry will taste spicier than the day you made it.

68bxg0ljp9im.png

Anna's Easy Keto Thai Red Chicken Curry
    *makes 4 servings

1 tsp Kirkland Signature Granulated California Garlic
    1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
    45g Thai Red Curry Paste
    2 tbsp Nutiva extra virgin Coconut Oil
    6g Lemongrass, cut and smashed
    2 tsp Garlic Chili Paste (sambal olek)
    540g Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, cut into bite sized pieces
    2tbsp Fish sauce
    3 cups Chicken Broth
    1tbsp Coconut Milk
    2oz Green Onion, chopped

1. Heat a medium sized pot (I used my beautiful Le Creuset) on medium-high heat.
    2. Add coconut oil, garlic, ginger and curry paste and heat through to activate the spices.
    3. Cut and smash the living daylights out of your lemongrass lol jk, throw into the pot with the sambal.
    4. Add the chicken, fish sauce, broth, and coconut milk.
    5. Simmer for at least 2 hours, up to 4.
    6. Serve over a bed of baby spinach (or brown rice if carbs don't matter)
    7. Optional: finish with chopped green onions, crushed peanuts and some fresh lime juice.
  • Theo166
    Options
    I just made a big pot of Cabbage Soup and was shocked when the recipe tool showed just 80 calories a cup.
  • Jirachii
    Options
    Cabbage is a super food dude! I'm excited because we just boiled a HUGE pot of cabbage last night, and if I can get to it before they throw in the butter and salt, I can have pretty much as much as I want :p and I love boiled cabbage so I'm hyped.

And I've actually never had curry before. I'm so uncultured D:
    That looks really good though. I love chicken and chives and spices. Not big on raw spinach personally, but I do love me some brown rice. My mom thinks the mild sauce at Taco Bell is super spicy though, so I'll have to try that on a day she's out. I wouldn't be able to do Keto since I LOVE onions and garlic and bread and whatnot, so props to you for having the willpower to substitute it out!

RIP lemongrass :pensive:
  • Jedi1989
    Jedi1989 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Today's dinner:

Vegetable soup
    3 large servings (appx. 135 calories/serving)

33oz water + 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
    12oz potatoes, peeled and diced
    12oz Carrots, peeled and cut into thick slices
    2oz Leek, cut into rings

Boil the water, dissolve the bouillon cubes, add the rest of the ingredients and boil until potatoes and carrots are done (I like them a little bit firm).
    P.S.: This recipe is pretty tasty and filling in itself, but I also put 6 oz of diced reduced-fat hot dogs in - and I'm sure it can be good with other kinds of meat instead. Or with additional veggies.

• Jirachii
    Options
    Ohhh thanks for the recipe :smile: I really like vegetable soups. Knowing my family we would put ground beef in it (like everything else.)

Nice and light, seems like it would be good with a warm toasted sandwich! (But really what soup wouldn't be? ;) )
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This is not an original recipe, I got the original at: http://www.thespicekitrecipes.com/easy-indian-chicken-korma/
    This is my version. I love Indian food. But, with all the coconut milk and yogurt and cream, it's ridiculously high in saturated fat! My version drops the original, which I think had 15 grams of saturated fat, to 2. My changes are marked with a *. This recipe is a little complicated, but SO worth it.

Now if I could find a good, low-calorie naan.

Low-Fat Chicken Korma

Serves: 4

Ingredients
    • ¼ cup cashews
    • ½ cup light coconut milk*
    • ½ cup fat free half & half*
    • 3 Tbsps. olive oil*
    • 1 ½ cups onion, minced
    • 2 tsps. fresh ginger, minced
    • 2 tsps. garlic, minced
    • 1 ½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed bite-size
    • 2 tsps. each coriander, cumin
    • 1 tsp. each curry powder, turmeric, paprika, salt, sugar
    • ⅛ tsp. cardamom
    • ½ (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
    • ½ cup water
    • ⅔ cup fat-free Greek yogurt*
    • ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
    Instructions
    1. Put cashews, coconut milk, and cream in a food processor or blender and blend very smooth. Set aside.
    2. Heat oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add onions and ginger and sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
    3. Add chicken cubes, spices, and salt. Sauté 3-4 minutes searing chicken on all sides. Add a little water if the spices stick.
    4. Stir in tomato sauce and water. Bring to a boil on medium/high heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium/low to low. Simmer 10 minutes.
    5. Turn off heat and allow to sit 2-3 minutes. Stir in yogurt and cashew/coconut milk/cream mixture.
    6. Turn heat to medium and cook 15-20 minutes uncovered until sauce thickens.
    7. Sprinkle in cilantro and serve with basmati rice and naan.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
    Nutrition facts: Servings: 4
    Calories: 396 Total Fat: 20 g. Carbs: 103 mg.
    Cholesterol: 103 mg. Saturated Fat: 2 g. Fiber: 3 g.
    Sodium: 926 mg. Monosaturated Fat: 11 g. Sugars: 8 g.
    Potassium: 359 mg. Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g. Protein: 40 g.

• anna4anna
    anna4anna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of you aren't eating Keto, BUT this recipe is simply amazing no matter what nutrition plan you follow. It is only 2g net carbs per serving and its 0g of sugar. Don't be afraid of the fat...I promise you this is sooooo dang satisfying and ridiculously easy to put together.

Anna's Keto Dark Chocolate Mousse

(makes 4 servings)

Ingredients
    50g Lily's Dark Chocolate (or any dark chocolate of choice that is at LEAST 85%)
    15g salted butter
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp espresso powder
    200ml whipping cream
    3-4 drops of liquid stevia to taste (or sweetener of your choice)

Prep:
    1. Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave (about 30 secs) and mix together well.
    2. Whip together cream, cocoa powder, espresso powder and sweetener.
    3. Add in the chocolate and butter mixture.
    4. Whip until soft peaks are formed.
    5. Divide evenly into bowls and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and serve chilled.
  • Theo166
    Options
    In the past few days I've made both radish kimchi and cucumber kimchi. These are great sides to spice up what else you may be eating. Nominal calories.

Both taste very good on my first try and were very easy to make. If anyone is interested, I found the instructions on this site to be pretty good. You will need an Asian grocery to get some of the ingredients like Korean chili flakes.
    https://www.maangchi.com/recipes/kimchi
  • Theo166
    Options
    Obviously I'm on a fermentation kick, today I'm going to make sauerkraut for the first time. The down side is that it takes weeks to 'get ready'.
  • Jirachii
    Options
    Ooo sauerkraut. Tell me how that goes :lol: for me, the stuff is either really good on a sandwich, or one of the most disgustingly pungent foods known to mankind. There is no middle. Fermenting stuff sounds fun though, to be honest!
  • readytodothis
    readytodothis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make a roasted red pepper, tomato and chicken soup that is amazing! I use the vitamix to blend it but you can use whatever you have.
    4 red bell peppers, seeded and chunked
    5 baby vine tomatoes
    3 oz cooked chicken (I use leftovers, so however it is cooked is fine)
    1-2 tsp olive oil
    sea salt
    18 oz water
    dash of cayenne pepper (just to give it a little kick
    1 tsp garlic

put tomatoes and peppers in a bowl, toss in olive oil and sea salt. Broil, stirring half way through, until all pieces are good and roasted.

Add to vitamix with water (I use hot to save time). After it is completely souped up, add chicken and pulse. I like the chicken as it adds texture. I will even add a bit of quinoa sometimes (it is a leftover soup, so whatever leftover I have that sounds good, I use).

I split this into two servings and it is less than 150 calories per serving without the quinoa.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Back before Christmas, I tried my hand at making homemade tamales (which were really good, but VERY time intensive - I understand why Mexicans make them as a special holiday meal!). This meant that I had a bag of masa harina in my cabinets, so to use it up, I decided to make my own handmade corn tortillas for enchiladas and such. This weekend, I made breakfast tacos with them.

I was really surprise at how extremely easy it is to make corn tortillas! The recipe I follow is off the bag and is basically equal amounts of masa and water. To make 4 small tortillas, I used 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup masa. One thing: it HAS to be masa harina; you can't substitute corn meal because the corn in masa flour is apparently soaked in lime juice before being ground, which changes the composition of the flour - and this is why you get a more floury flour and not a grainy corn meal. (I didn't know this before I bought the flour).

I just mixed the masa and water until they formed a stiff dough, then divided it into 4 balls, flattened them out, and fried them in a skillet for a minute or two on both sides. That's it. Homemade really beats store-bought to pieces!

Anywho, I also wanted to pass along a little tip if you want to try these. Typically, a tortilla press is needed to flatten these out, but the internet abounds with tips to get around this - one said to put the balls into a ziplock bag and roll them out; another said to put the ball between 2 sheets of wax paper. I tried both of these ideas and they did not work for me; the flattened tortilla stuck to the plastic or the wax paper and would tear when I tried to peal it off. Also, the rolling pin would not give me a consistently round, consistently flat tortilla - it would be thin on one side, lop sided, and thick on the other. Others said to put the wax paper between 2 plates and step on it on the floor, but I didn't have any flat-bottomed plates. So, I got another idea.

What I ended up doing is getting a set of stove eye covers - you can still get them in the kitchenware sections of most department stores, over where the kitchen gadgets are, like timers, thermometers, spatulas, that sort of thing. I think you can also find them in dollar stores. They are like a very thin-lipped pie plate - which, come to think of it, would also work.

I first sprayed 2 sheets of wax paper lightly with cooking spray, then put the first inside the first cover, put my dough ball down on that, covered it with the second sheet of wax paper, and then put the 2nd eye cover, upside down (fitting them as if I were putting one inside the other) and then pushed it down firmly with my hand and running my fist around the inside. This produced a decently round, consistently flat tortilla that peeled right off the paper, since I had sprayed it first. I popped them into my skillet and within minutes, I had a plate of warm tortillas!

If I think of it, I'll take a picture to show what I mean, if anyone is interested.
  • kimbermak
    kimbermak Posts: 148 Member
    Options

I first sprayed 2 sheets of wax paper lightly with cooking spray, then put the first inside the first cover, put my dough ball down on that, covered it with the second sheet of wax paper, and then put the 2nd eye cover, upside down (fitting them as if I were putting one inside the other) and then pushed it down firmly with my hand and running my fist around the inside. This produced a decently round, consistently flat tortilla that peeled right off the paper, since I had sprayed it first. I popped them into my skillet and within minutes, I had a plate of warm tortillas!

This sounds wonderful. I have those covers in my pantry - they are a pain to put on and take off the stove so I just stored them away. Now I have another use for them. FYI Parchment paper works sooo much better than wax paper.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    kimbermak wrote: »
    This sounds wonderful. I have those covers in my pantry - they are a pain to put on and take off the stove so I just stored them away. Now I have another use for them. FYI Parchment paper works sooo much better than wax paper.

I'll keep that in mind - I'd never used parchment paper before as wax paper seemed easier to find; perhaps with parchment paper, I wouldn't need to used the cooking spray?