Meat Replacements

Options
alybran
alybran Posts: 199 Member
Share your favorite meat replacements here!

Replies

• purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I am trying Quron meatless crumbles for the very first time tonight. I made a meatloaf, and I am making spaghetti with "meat" sauce. I'll let you know how they both came out. At this moment *peeking in the oven* The meatloaf looks fantastic!
  • purebredpolly
    edited April 2017
    Options
    OH! I thought of one. We had Quorn chicken patties that I shallow fried in a bit of olive oil, and served on a nice homemade kaiser roll with shredded lettuce, pickle, and mayo. It was really good!
  • alybran
    Options
    I love Morningstar everything and Gardein for processed meat replacements. Haven't tried much else. I generally stick with beans and legumes, and mushrooms! Mushrooms are great to make fajitas (oven fajita recipe here... Portobellos are great, but just about any mushrooms will do!), cheesesteaks (recipe here, NOTE: I just use my regular cheese), and make a great addition to most dishes you could think of (especially soup!).

I loved this zucchini "meat"ball recipe. So far the best "meat"ball recipe I've found, and it was super easy!
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    Gardein! Their crispy Mandarin orange "chicken" is AMAZING!

Cheesesteaks! I don't hear too many people talk about cheesesteaks. You wouldn't happen to live anywhere near Philly would you? I live just above Philly, and you don't have to go to much further before no one knows what a cheesesteak is. :)
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I haven't ventured into this arena yet, I have started eating beans almost daily for protein though, (ok, refried beans but it still counts lol).
  • alybran
    Options

Cheesesteaks! I don't hear too many people talk about cheesesteaks. You wouldn't happen to live anywhere near Philly would you? I live just above Philly, and you don't have to go to much further before no one knows what a cheesesteak is. :)

My dad (on a vegetarian diet per doctor's orders!) just recently bought their crispy mandarin orange chicken. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm excited to!

I'm from Northeastern MD, about an hour south of Philly. Jump on I-95 and I'm there! :p
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Quorn used to do these spicy chicken bites that were amazing but they suddenly disappeared off the shelves. Does anyone have an alternative they can recommend or a recipe they like?

I really love Amy's Kitchen burritos which come in a vegetarian and a vegan variety. I also have a recipe for my own, with kidney beans, if anyone is interested.
  • alybran
    Options
    I really love Amy's Kitchen burritos which come in a vegetarian and a vegan variety. I also have a recipe for my own, with kidney beans, if anyone is interested.

Amy's burritos are the best!! The only problem I have with them is that they're expensive. $2-3 at my grocery store. :( Do share your recipe!
  • glassofroses
    Options
    alybran wrote: »

Amy's burritos are the best!! The only problem I have with them is that they're expensive. $2-3 at my grocery store. :( Do share your recipe!

I only ever buy them on sale for that reason. I'll share my recipe in the MM section rather than clog things up in here, if that's okay?
  • purebredpolly
    Options

My dad (on a vegetarian diet per doctor's orders!) just recently bought their crispy mandarin orange chicken. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm excited to!

I'm from Northeastern MD, about an hour south of Philly. Jump on I-95 and I'm there! :p

OH! You are so close to me!!! Do you know I've heard others talk about going to certain steak places in Philly and them serving seitan cheesesteaks?! I don't know where these places are, but I'd love to take a road trip if I ever find out. In the mean time, I was thinking of trying my hand at a seitan cheesesteak of my own. We've got good rolls out here that come up from the Philly bakeries, I'm thinking I just might be able to duplicate a cheesesteak sandwich enough to pacify my lust for them.

Like you dad, I am going vegetarian for medical reasons, well 98% vegetarian. I will eat fish, chicken, venison, or lamb on a celebratory occasion, and only if wild caught, or free range. It's really not a far leap for me as I grew up Flexatarian since my Mother grew up on a farm, and could not bear her pets becoming dinner. It turned her off animal protein, so while we had meat, it was a very rare occurrence. We mostly ate from our garden, and the local farms in eggs, and milk, grains while I was growing up. My Mother was very much a weeds, and seeds health food fanatic. So for me, growing up eating scrambled tofu, switching to a more plant based diet is not nearly as traumatic, as it is my meat loving husband. He however is being a real champ in this diet change. Since I've been on MFP I hear horror stories about others spouses, and the nightmares that ensue around the supper table.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    Quorn meatless crumbles, I'm not a fan. I made the meatloaf, and the spaghetti and "meat" sauce. I'm sure glad my husband is eating the spaghetti and "meat" sauce for lunch today, and tomorrow, as there is no way I could eat it again. The meatloaf, I tried a piece, and the part with the ketchup is edible, but not so much the part without ketchup. The meatloaf sandwiches I am planning on us eating on over the next few days will be covered in ketchup!
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    Quorn used to do these spicy chicken bites that were amazing but they suddenly disappeared off the shelves. Does anyone have an alternative they can recommend or a recipe they like?

Morning Star has a buffalo "chicken" nugget that's not bad. My husband ate them without complaint.
  • alybran
    Options
    OH! You are so close to me!!! Do you know I've heard others talk about going to certain steak places in Philly and them serving seitan cheesesteaks?! I don't know where these places are, but I'd love to take a road trip if I ever find out. In the mean time, I was thinking of trying my hand at a seitan cheesesteak of my own. We've got good rolls out here that come up from the Philly bakeries, I'm thinking I just might be able to duplicate a cheesesteak sandwich enough to pacify my lust for them.

That sounds heavenly. If you find anywhere good, let me know! I rarely make it up to Philly, but my boyfriend's been dying to go.

I made Mongolian beef (dad's favorite) with seitan. It was delicious. If that's your kind of thing, here's the recipe. :)

• Staceyt68
    Staceyt68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

That sounds heavenly. If you find anywhere good, let me know! I rarely make it up to Philly, but my boyfriend's been dying to go.

I made Mongolian beef (dad's favorite) with seitan. It was delicious. If that's your kind of thing, here's the recipe. :)

OK you all seam close to me, The Pop Shop in Medford NJ, has a vegetarian menu. This is the place I first tried the "Philly Cheese Steak" made from Seitan. It was OK but I will stay with my "Cheese Steaks" made with portobello mushrooms. To die for!
  • purebredpolly
    Options

Absolutely! When I track down where they make them I'll let you know.

And AWESOME!!! Thank you for the recipe!!!! Can't wait to give it a whirl!!!
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    Staceyt68 wrote: »

OK you all seam close to me, The Pop Shop in Medford NJ, has a vegetarian menu. This is the place I first tried the "Philly Cheese Steak" made from Seitan. It was OK but I will stay with my "Cheese Steaks" made with portobello mushrooms. To die for!

OH! Next time I get out to NJ I'm going to try and swing by there to give one a try! THANKS!

• jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried jackfruit? I just tried the shredded southwestern style for burritos and am undecided on whether I like it or not. Its seems a little mushy to me- not getting the meaty texture.
  • caitlinj406
    caitlinj406 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the recent prepackaged jackfruit options but in the past I've made my own BBQ jackfruit with the brined and canned jackfruit. I really liked it, but I also add slaw of some kind to get more texture going since the jackfruit is not as toothsome as meat. Still chewy and great at absorbing flavor, but I think it benefits from adding lots of other stuff too.
  • glassofroses
    Options

Morning Star has a buffalo "chicken" nugget that's not bad. My husband ate them without complaint.

I'll look out for them, thank you!

Almost bought some Tofurkey while I was in Wholefoods but I've never had it before -- thoughts? I had a friend from uni who got the same faux meat turkey joint every year for Thanksgiving that was amazing but I always forget to ask her what it was/where it was from.
  • purebredpolly
    Options

I'll look out for them, thank you!

Almost bought some Tofurkey while I was in Wholefoods but I've never had it before -- thoughts? I had a friend from uni who got the same faux meat turkey joint every year for Thanksgiving that was amazing but I always forget to ask her what it was/where it was from.

I just bought a "turkey" roast, I believe it's made by Quorn. I plan on making it, then slicing it up for lunch meat next week. I'll let you know what I think. The Tofurkey, I've never tried. The price tag has shied me away. I look for all my meat replacers to be on sale, or from the outlet/banana box stores, so I don't get to pick what kind of meat replacer we eat 100% of the time.