Another low sodium victim

Options
Sunny_Bunny_
Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
I am in a number of keto and low carb groups and I have seen several times now where people go to the hospital because they feel faint and/or pass out or almost pass out and end up getting lectured by the doctors about the ketones that show up when the actual diagnosis comes down to... are you ready for it? DEHYDRATION!!!!!
The labs always come back with low sodium and even lower potassium. It is 100% preventable if you take the sodium needs seriously.
Potassium wouldn't get deficient without sodium getting low. Keep that up and you don't have to worry about the other.

cmcto9404xga.png

She's going to have a hefty hospital bill for something that couldn't been solved with about 1 cent worth of salt and some water.

Replies

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    This is why I am soooooo thankful for you guys!! I researched keto a solid month and a half before jumping in. Because of you all and the launch pad I totally avoided the major parts of the keto flu and this kind of mess. People really do not get how important this is!
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    This is why I am soooooo thankful for you guys!! I researched keto a solid month and a half before jumping in. Because of you all and the launch pad I totally avoided the major parts of the keto flu and this kind of mess. People really do not get how important this is!

This so much!! I wish I'd have read up on things earlier but this group helped me get on the smart track with this WOE.
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't even like salt and I never got keto flu. Guess I'm lucky? I never add salt to anything. I do eat pickles occasionally but you won't catch me drinking salt water *gag
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Before this WOE, when I first started tracking my food and didn't know the importance of sodium, I was just under the impression the whole high salt=death was highly individualized at best given my diet was naturally over 5000 mg nearly every day and over 6000 mg many days and my bp was consistently in the range of about 110-115 over 65-70.

The funny part is that since changing to this WOE and upping my salt even more (frequently over 7000 mg and almost never below 6000), my BP is actually LOWER now with an average of 100-105 over 55-65.

Clearly if sodium consumption raises your BP, I better not lower mine or I may die from LOW blood pressure.