Stall pattern

pneschich
pneschich Posts: 325 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
Is there a general pattern to stalls? Seems everyone had one at around 3 weeks. I seem to lose 7-12 pounds then stall. I have bounced +/-2 for a week and a half. I know I'm following the plan and intellectually I know it will happen on my body's natural cycle but dang it's frustrating.

Replies

• Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    I understand the frustration. My surgery was in mid-December. Since then I've had some stalls and an occasional gain, but the trend is down. Each time I stall I let myself get too dramatic thinking that this is it, this is where my body is going to stop losing weight. It's still sinking in that surgery and the new habits I'm building are actually working.

wbc3qtro17u1.png
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Similar chart here:
    n92fkyc4u88e.jpg

You're still close to surgery. In my experience, these stalls are par of the process where the body just pauses to recuperate and holds on to stuff until it is ready to start losing again. As you get a few months out and are eating more, you will see more stalls. I used these times to 1) not panic, but 2) check my eating and logging discipline to see if anything needed tightening up. I usually found something I could improve.

Mostly though, concentrate on your habits and behaviors and the scale *will* follow.

Rob

• Lisidy
    edited April 2017
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    I used these times to 1) not panic, but 2) check my eating and logging discipline to see if anything needed tightening up. I usually found something I could improve.

@rpyle111 - great advice. After my most recent stall/gain, I cut out some of the processed sugar I had been letting sneak back into my life. Maybe that was what broke the stall, maybe it wasn't, but it felt good to focus on improving my habits with food instead of focusing (too much) on the scale.
  • jasperandlady1960
    jasperandlady1960 Posts: 16 Member
    I too am having a stall at 9 months out. I agree with Rob though; don't panic and be vigilant in eating and logging. I am going to do the same as I am getting frustrated with this stall. You can do this girl.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Whenever I have a stall I try to go back to basics - protein shake for breakfast with a hard boiled egg, increase my water intake and usually add more exercise. Usually within 1-2 weeks I break the stall
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Years from now you're not even going to think about this stuff. If you continue do do right things, weight will come off. When my weight loss slowed, I tried to think about the other health benefits I've achieved. There will also be days when scale surprises you the other way too! <3:D
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Thank you for all the replies. My question,I guess better phrased, would be; is there a weight drop relationship to stalls. It's more to satisfy my analytical mind. I'm not sure there is a pattern or frequency. I've lost 85 so far and am down 35 since sleeve. I was surprised when I stalled at 6 weeks. I was hoping to get a few more weeks of loss before I stalled. I'm doing everything according to plan so I'm not worried but it's human nature to have doubts.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    @pneschich There is no overall correlation. I had two stalls. That's it. After that there was a drop every week. So, I really didn't stall at all. Other people stall constantly. Others, it's random.

That early out stall seems to be the one consistency. That was one of my stalls, at 4 weeks, lasted about 2 weeks. You have to remember that you have put your body through quite a trauma. You've changed things on it drastically. It's trying to figure out what in the world is going on!

I'm incredibly analytical, so I get your conundrum. Sometimes we just have to find a way to quiet the brain and let go...

Good luck!
  • Elyseinchi
    Elyseinchi Posts: 71 Member
    jcavanna2 wrote: »
    Whenever I have a stall I try to go back to basics - protein shake for breakfast with a hard boiled egg, increase my water intake and usually add more exercise. Usually within 1-2 weeks I break the stall

That's what I am going to try!
  • jcavanna2
    @elyseinchi has what I am doing today and this week. Back to a protein shake as a snack because my commute is an hour and a half long. Sugar free ice pop is dessert tonight and all of my meals are planned. Working from home 2x this week but I will make sure I have planned meals those days. Lunch is the hardest when I work from home though. Also hitting the gym hard this week as well since I wasn't there for 2 1/2 weeks. Back to back workouts this morning is setting me up for a good week! :)
  • Lisidy
    @jcavanna2 - Yes. I started my week off with a 5:30 am workout. It always motivates me to make great choices throughout the day when I start the day with a workout.
  • jcavanna2
    @Lisidy couldn't agree with you more! Was supposed to do a mixed spin/weight training class this morning but we were up all night with a sick kid so my plans are delayed
  • Elyseinchi
    @jcavanna2 and @Lisidy I NEED to be more regular in getting my exercise in. :(
  • jcavanna2
    @Elyseinchi ya know how I make sure I get my sorry butt to the gym? I wake up at 4 am. When I see my trainer or spin at her place I leave the house at 4:30 am, other gym was leaving the house at 5 am. After work I can't ever do anything because I sit in an hour and a half of traffic and when I get home I am all about helping my daughter with her homework.

That said I go to bed in my gym clothes, and have my gym bag ready to go and my daily food in one section of my fridge. I dump it in my car, walk the dogs and run out of the house.

I will say it's hard getting up at that hour some days but after a while it becomes routine and I enjoy the peace and quiet by myself (and with the dogs).
  • Elyseinchi
    I'm going to try that.... Sleeping in my clothes! :)
  • jcavanna2
    @Elyseinchi definitely try that -- let me know if it helps! :)