Goodbye Hair :(

Options
2»

Replies

• dawnie1313
    dawnie1313 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have had thin fine hair my entire life. Hereditary I think. Thanks dad and grandma! I have had complete strangers ask me if I am sick. (Incredibly rude by the way and I do not suggest doing that!). I have tried always to keep my hair in a cute bob style and keep it styled in a way that hides most of the thinning. But losing my hair after surgery has been a HUGE concern of mine. So I did start Biotin although I understand it probably wont help. It made me feel better and proactive. I also have about 10 super cute hates I wear frequently so that when I DO need to wear them more people wont be weird about it. AND I did buy a wig pre surgery so that I could play and experiment before I was in the middle of a hair crisis. I also got a great shampoo and worked with my stylist prior to surgery so she could help me after. So far, I feel I am doing all I can. But in the end, it all depends on where my hair was at the time of surgery. I am 3.5 weeks out and I just hope hope hope when the time comes I can handle it with as much grace as possible.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    It looks great! I honestly thought you had just had your hair restyled; I never would have guessed.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Also check out Hair Anew which you can buy on Amazon
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The wig looks great! Very natural. I would never guess it wasn't your hair! Are you still happy with it?

I've suddenly joined you in the hair loss department, and even though I knew it was a possibility, and it will grow back and be just fine, it is FREAKING. ME. OUT. I've always shed a lot of hair but suddenly when I wash it or brush it I'm pulling out far more than I used to. I tell myself to calm down, it's normal and was expected, but I hate it! I'm 5 months from surgery and I thought I would escape the dreaded hair loss. All at the same time, I hit 100 lbs lost, hit my very first stall, and started losing hair. It's been a rough two weeks. I know I shouldn't complain too much because I had fairly thick hair to start with and it's not noticeable to anyone but me. It'll just be cooler in the summer, right???
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking forward to any hair loss. I also have thin, straight hair and can't afford to lose any :( I've been taking a Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamin for a few weeks. Hopefully it will help out after surgery.

I like the hat and the wig. Rock it, girl! :smile:
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out Hair Anew - it helps!
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    @AllisonMart At five months out, it sounds like you were forced into telogen effluvium. It was the anesthesia and the shock to your body from the surgery. Our hair follicles have a natural growth-death cycle. Something like surgery will force our hairs to the death cycle all at the same time. The good news is, they will all recycle themselves to different timings naturally and you should be good. The most important thing is to make sure your nutrition and vitamins are on point, stress is as low as possible, and you stay active and hydrated. It's when people start the hair loss within a few weeks of surgery, or after that six month point that usually points to nutrition.

I'm not an expert, but I research the hell out of everything and my BFF is a master colorist and educator for a world brand. :smiley:
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks @NicoleL874 and @jcavanna2! I will pick up some Hair Anew. I know it's nothing to worry about, and I was adequately warned about it, but being ready for it and it suddenly happening are two different things! I was surprised it seemed to come on so suddenly and so late, I would have thought it would have started closer to the surgery. Oh well, it is what it is and I'll try to be patient and not panic.

Funny you mention the anesthesia, I did have a really hard time shaking it off. It took me about 13 hours to actually wake up and be coherent. Someone mentioned my red hair that day and I didn't think anything of it, but I learned later that redheads generally need more anesthesia. I'm actually a blond, so maybe they gave me too much, assuming it was a natural color. You'd think they'd ask!

I'm on track and doing everything right that I know of. Just gotta wait this hair thing out.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Losing my hair is probably my biggest fear with surgery. Your wig looks amazing though! How much weight have you lost if you don't mind me asking.
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    @Shull_rachael - thanks! At first, I was pretty down about having to wear a wig, but now I'm kind of enjoying it. I get lots of compliments on my hair and I just ordered my second wig (a tiny bit longer and more fun). I've lost 62 pounds since Thanksgiving, but the hair loss really started to hit around Valentine's Day when I was down about 42 pounds. I'm not noticing as much hair falling out now, but I also don't notice any growing back yet. The hair loss sucks, but I'm trying to stay in a positive place. I'm grateful wigs have come a long way in the last decade. And obviously, even knowing I'd lose my hair, I'd still have the surgery in a heartbeat. It was the best decision I've made for my health.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started going gray really early and have been coloring it since college - 25 years. At this point I get it done every 2.5 weeks because it grows so fast... nuts I know. But at my last appointment, it hadn't really grown at all. It must be the surgery/weight loss (I,m 8 weeks out today). I've also noticed that my scalp hurts when I move my hair. It's similar to the pain when you've worn your hair in a ponytail too long and then take it down. I looked it up and it's called trichodynia and is something some people experience before a big shed. Argh.

I heard a bariatric nutrition doctor on a podcast say the loss generally starts 100 days after surgery and lasts about 3 months. But the falling out is just the mid-point to the cycle that started at surgery. First it stops growing and sits dormant (the first 100 days) then it sheds (next 3 months) then it grows back (6 months post op and onward).
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    losing my hair is a BIG fear for me. When I got divorced (ages ago) it caused a stress response, and my hair started falling out. That added more stress. Since I did go thru that, I know my hair will grow back, and it wont all fall out at the same time.

It just has never thickened like it was before 2004. :/
  • Miss_Hattie
    Miss_Hattie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing so maybe I can start now adding those vitamins and nutrients to my diet to help prevent it some. I'm getting ready for the duodenal switch in a month or so. Going through the prep now.
  • cmcm789
    cmcm789 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If using biotin make sure it also has zinc or take a separate zinc pill. The other option is pre natal Vitamins, they do work for hair as well as nails.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I have very fine hair and lots fell out at about 3 months post surgery. I wore it in a pony tail or a bun most of the time to cover

By 18 months post surgery it looked like i had allowed someone to cut ear length layers in my hair

Im now 3 years post and its all sholder blade length. But it remained thin and limp looking

I researched curly hair care for my son (gorgeous afro curls) and came across the curly girl method
    I decided to join him in ditching shampoo and going to a co wash routine and no brushing (i comb when wet with conditioner). My hair loss rate slowed right down and looks much thicker. It also turned wavy with some spirals. I wear it down more now