Things to know before surgery?

Options
Mandy_1982
Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
Is there anything that you wish someone had told you before surgery? Do you have any tips to prepare for it, or have any advice for recovery?

Thanks for your replies :smile:

Replies

• clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Don't pack a lot.
    It didn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it would. (But the IV hurt and the vein in my hand still does more than 6 weeks later)
    Work getting in liquids afterwards like it's your only job. Being dehydrated feels terrible and it's hard to catch up once you're there.
    Walk lots.
    Pain meds cause constipation, so if you don't need them once you're home, don't take them.
    The abdominal binder the hospital gave me made walking and sleeping so much more comfortable the first week. I was even able to sleep on my side with it.

Good luck!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Follow your doctor's orders, like Clcmfp said focus on liquids like it's your only job. Don't worry about how many calories you're consuming that will change slowly over time. Fluids are the number one priority after surgery and most re-admits to the hospital are due to dehydration.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Agree with almond the above but before surgery prep and freeze as many early post op foods you can especially for the soft food stage. Makes life way easier.
    Also, get chewable papaya enzyme because if you get that pain in your pouch/chest, the sensation like your pouch is way too full or feel like you may ready to puke the papaya enzyme helps -- its inexpensive and can be found at target, wal-mart etc.

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Your doctor knows most, but not EVERYTHING. There's lots of good info on web. Lots of bad too. Learn as much as possible.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »

Follow your doctor's orders. All doctors have different nutritional plans. They move through stages very differently. You picked your doctor for a reason, I'm sure. Follow their advice. If you are unsure if you can eat/drink something, don't ask for advice on the internet. Don't eat/drink it until you can run it by them. There are many armchair doctors on the internet. Many will give great advice, others will give you horrible advice. It's always worth a call to your professional in the early days...

I second this so much!! Also, I second what everyone else said :smile:

• Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've never even had a broken bone before (knock on wood), so the thought of getting put under and having surgery is very scary to me. I hope I can overcome this fear.
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Mandy_1982 wrote: »
    I've never even had a broken bone before (knock on wood), so the thought of getting put under and having surgery is very scary to me. I hope I can overcome this fear.

I had broken my arm once, but otherwise I had never had surgery or been admitted to the hospital, ever. I had some of the same fears, but looking back, the experience was way easier than I anticipated. I arrived at the surgery center at 6:00 am and I was resting at home by 6:00 pm (I didn't have to spend the night). I was uncomfortable for a few days and I couldn't sleep laying down for a little over a week, but otherwise, everything was much easier than I had let myself think.

• cjcarter77
    cjcarter77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have only been in the hospital to be born and give birth so the prospect of voluntarily going under is frightening. I have to look at it like this is a life or death decision, which in reality it is.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'd never been in the hospital when I had my surgery. The not knowing is nerve wracking, but you'll do fine! My blood pressure before surgery was 144/86. After it was 106/70! I was just so nervous beforehand, but it was not a bad experience at all.
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My career choice is what scares me the most!! I know all the things that can go wrong with a surgery, and with the bypass its self. (Medical record coding for the hospital i'll be having my surgery at in May.) It took me so long to decide it was absolutely what I needed to do.

I know that I come out of anesthesia S-L-O-W (tonsils out at 23)...

I do know they'll give you meds to help you relax. :) Trust in your team.

• pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    VSG was an easy one. I've had a bunch. 2 knees, appendix, 2 laminectomies, 1 spinal fusion and an umbilical hernia. I walked around my bed when I got to my room from surgery freaked the nurse out a bit I think. Nothing to worry about.
  • necoady
    necoady Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    pneschich wrote: »
    VSG was an easy one. I've had a bunch. 2 knees, appendix, 2 laminectomies, 1 spinal fusion and an umbilical hernia. I walked around my bed when I got to my room from surgery freaked the nurse out a bit I think. Nothing to worry about.

I too, found VSG the easiest surgery I've ever had - at least, physically. Emotionally, however, it was tougher than having a total hysterectomy from cervical cancer just three years earlier. I was scared sick and almost backed out!
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I was so very ready for the surgery it couldn't happen fast enough. The after I am finding "emotional " I guess. It's a battle within frustration and anger at myself some days. Relearning how to eat. The tiny bit of food I consume isn't normal and is mentally unsatisfying. The pain of one teaspoon to much. It is balanced by pounds falling off and feeling so much better. The ability to do things I haven't done in 20 years. Desires to do things instead of watch and actually being able to do them. Pains going away, medicines going away. I'm alive and living. I wasn't fully before.