Vitamins

Options
Kimcam07
Kimcam07 Posts: 12 Member
I'm looking into VSG and one of my mind hurdles is the ideas of taking vitamins for the rest of my life. Logically I know that in the grand scheme of things, daily vitamins versus medication for health related obesity issues should be a no brainer but it still irks me. Anyone go through the same thing?

Replies

• Kimcam07
    Options
    Hi Garber6th, the taking pills part doesn't bother me. It's having to take them for the rest of my life and having to be reliant. I know you are likely on point that it's a small price to pay though. Definately makes sense.
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I take all gummies and actually really look forward to my vitamins.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I chuckle when I see all the supplements people take but then they eat a bunch of processed food all day.
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist filled out a thing for nutrition direct for nascobal vitamin B spray prescription, and they will mail it to your house monthly (all the bariatric vitamins come for free with the nasal vitamin B spray-- once a week up your nose, granted I havent started yet.) With insurance, it only is $25/month for me, with shipping, auto shipping.
    https://www.nascobal.com/patient/

• sheilahaddadi
    sheilahaddadi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that every person is going to experience changes to their body post surgery very differently. Although it's recommended to take vitamins on a daily basis for the first couple of years after surgery, as long as you maintain healthy habits and get your nutrients once you're able to eat more, there should be no reason for you to be dependent on vitamins. And I use the term 'dependent' very loosely, since I believe taking supplements on a daily basis should be a good habit regardless of whether surgery is a factor in your life.
  • Kimcam07
    Options
    @sheilahaddadi thank you for that. That information actually makes me feel better.
  • DizGal
    DizGal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So...I chose VSG because you don't necessarily have to take vitamins forever because your body absorbs everything from food normally, depending on how much you eat down the road and your choices. That being said, I was always HORRIBLE with taking vitamins and I had the same concern, but then I realized a lot of non WLS patients take vitamins every day and it's no big deal. Honestly, I'm almost 4 months out and vitamins are just part of my routine along with my allergy pill and nexium. I am pretty good about taking them daily and I have noticed such a huge difference in my skin, hair and overall health that I look and feel younger so I can't imagine going without them now. It's really not a burden when it has become habit :)
  • Kimcam07
    Options
    @Dizgal thank you for you input! That is why I think VSG would be for me too. I'm at the doctors office for my initial consultation, so we will see what he says.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that vitamin and mineral deficiencies in VSG people are similar to what is seen in gastric bypass patients at 5 years, probably because VSG folks think they are exempt from needing to take vitamins. While we don't have changes to our intestines, we can easily be deficient in iron, folate, B12, and D. Taking a PPI long term means you make less acid which reduces intrinsic factor which means we don't absorb much iron or B12. It's very important to have your vitamin blood levels checked regularly as coming back from something like an iron deficiency is very difficult.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @clcmfp can you sight those studies? I'd be curious to read them. There seems to be this idea that more are better when it comes to taking vitamins. I take lots if vitamins too. I EAT THEM.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    @Aztec4Life Here is the cite: Moizé V, Andreu A, Flores L, et al. Long-term dietary intake and nutritional deficiencies following sleeve gastrectomy or roux-en-y gastric bypass in a Mediterranean population. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013;113(3):400-410.

This is the article that referenced it as well as other studies showing post-op nutritional deficiencies: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/050114p44.shtml

This study shows the sleeve and bypass are comparable when it comes to ricks of anemia and iron deficiency: http://www.soard.org/article/S1550-7289(13)00399-7/fulltext

I think this breaks it down nicely as to which things all WLS people need to supplement and by surgery type, how much needs to be supplemented (starting on page 25): https://bariatricfusion.com/pdfs/ASMBSGuidelines2016.pdf

My concern was that the OP was latching on to the notion that they wouldn't have to supplement long term with the VSG.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My doctor started me on supplements after my initial blood draw (when I started the program) back in June. My levels were low, so I've been taking a multivitamin, B complex, and D. I also started a Hair Skin and Nails supplement a few weeks ago. I take my Metformin right after breakfast, and just take my vitamins at the same time. It's no big deal to me. Just another part of my daily routine. I'm sure once I get surgery I may get put on other supplements, which is fine.