Broccoli

Options
TravellerRay
TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
Am planning on changing my diet to eat more broccoli. Since it is mentioned everywhere as a great low carb vegetable. So how come there are 7gms of carbs per 100 gms of broccoli. If I ate a whole bunch with some protein, wouldn't this put me over the daily limit?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I see about 3 net carbs per cup of steamed broccoli. You could have a cup three times a day and that would add less than 10 to your carb total. It could easily be part of your LC diet.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I am in the US and choose to use ounces as a measure. The entry I use shows 1.9 carbs per ounce with .7 grams of fiber for 1.2 net grams per ounce. I recall (not positive) that 100 grams is roughly 3.5 ounces so 1.2×3.5 = 4.2 net carbs per 100 grams.

This is not to conflict with the entry above stating in terms of cups. If I put broccoli in a cup there would be broccoli and there would be empty space. I'm estimating that my 3.5 ounces would be approximate to the above posters "1 cup" which is really 8 ounces.

All that to say to perhaps new folks, be careful as to which entries you choose from MFP and think through which type of measurement would be best for your purposes.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I am better with approximate volume, and I am never sure if the weight is cooked or uncooked. I tend to go for the cups, but really anything that is reasonably accurate will do.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Am planning on changing my diet to eat more broccoli. Since it is mentioned everywhere as a great low carb vegetable. So how come there are 7gms of carbs per 100 gms of broccoli. If I ate a whole bunch with some protein, wouldn't this put me over the daily limit?
    According to this : https://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/broccoli?portionid=59022&portionamount=100.000

Total carbs are 6.64 and net carbs would be 4.04. I don't see a problem, 4 net carbs out of 20 allowed right?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    4 net carbs out of 20 allowed right?

"allowed" is relative. 20g of carbs is a good number that people are given if they want to be totally positive they are in ketosis without doing blood tests. It's low enough that you can be certain that metabolic adaptations take place. But people can be in ketosis with much higher grams of carbs per day, and even to be considered "low carb" you really just need to be under 150.

• menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    4 net carbs out of 20 allowed right?

"allowed" is relative. 20g of carbs is a good number that people are given if they want to be totally positive they are in ketosis without doing blood tests. It's low enough that you can be certain that metabolic adaptations take place. But people can be in ketosis with much higher grams of carbs per day, and even to be considered "low carb" you really just need to be under 150.

Oh I agree. I personally don't sweat it if I go up into 30 or so grams of net carbs. It's usually no higher than that and I have read you can go to 50 and still be in ketosis.

And yes 150 is waaaay less that what most people eat on the SAD, for sure.