I got approved!!!

Options
Shull_rachael
Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
I'm so excited I got the call this am from the NP that my insurance approved my gastric sleeve! I go in tomorrow to meet with the surgeon. I'm hoping to get my surgery date. I still know they have to do the appointment where they take sample out of my stomach. I'm super nervous about the liquid diet it's two weeks through program I'm doing. Just looking for more supportive friends. Some tips would be great for the liquid diet. Also could you share your weight loss on the pre op diet? I'm so so excited to look amazing and be healthy.

Replies

• cjcarter77
    cjcarter77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!! I am a little behind you as I am waiting on the insurance to approve now! How exciting. I think we are all nervous about the same things, being put under, the liquid diet and so on but you wouldn't be this far if you didn't really really want it! Since I am about where you are I don't have any wisdom to share, but I will cheer you on! Good Luck and keep ups posted!!
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am so thankful that I don;t have to do the liquid diet pre-op for two weeks. I'll get two meals, of 3-4 ounces of protein, and 1/2-1 cup non-starchy veggies. then two protein drinks. I'm not too worried about the post op diet, I've heard so much that you aren't hungry, also heard you miss chewing.

I have my Pre-OP appt on Monday 4/24, start my two week pre-op diet on May 2nd, and surgery is on May 16th.

Sorry, no wisdom. Just ready for it all to be over with, surgery, healing. I fear the pain, never had abdominal surgery.
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Shull_rachael - congrats. I did a two week liquid diet pre-op. I was allowed protein shakes, sugar-free popsicles and one can of soup a day until two days before surgery. The last two days were clear liquids only. It was easier to do than I expected (and that is coming from someone who cheated on every diet she had ever been on). I think I was just so excited for the surgery that I was willing to do anything. My two weeks were at the beginning of December - I took a can of soup to a Christmas party with me and watched everyone else eat prime rib. Like I said, it was easy because I was so excited to be getting my surgery. The only tips I can offer are to keep your mind on the goal and make a promise to yourself that you won't cheat. I lost 14 pounds during those two weeks.
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I guess I have one more tip... experiment with some protein shakes and find one you actually like.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome!! I'm so excited for you. The pre-op diet is hard - and you will hate it - but it is 100% worth it. Find protein shakes you like and try to get several flavors because 2 weeks is a lot of shakes...you will want variety.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I'm praying my insurance approves me too!
  • Shull_rachael
    Options
    @Mandy_1982 I was so worried I was sure they'd turn me down for something. It was so hard not to call. I broke down and did call Tuesday. That was a few days short of two weeks. So I think I did pretty good. Considering I'm one of the most impatient people I know lol.
  • Mandy_1982
    Options
    What is the sample of the stomach thing? I didn't know about that.
  • Shull_rachael
    Options
    Mandy_1982 wrote: »

I can't remember what it's called. But he'll put me asleep. Go down my throat look and then take out samples of my stomach bile. They test them for infection. If they find any it usually doesn't delay surgery but they do put you on antibiotics that have to be completed before hand. With the two week liquid diet you have enough time to do that though. I'm nervous about that. I'm mostly worried my throats will get messed up or something.
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The only special diet we have to go on is to only have pureed foods the day before surgery and nothing to eat or drink day of. Sounds easy enough
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I had my seminar today to take the first steps towards getting the sleeve. Thankfully I'm covered 90% and dont have to do the 6 month followup with my PCP
  • cjcarter77
    cjcarter77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I can't remember what it's called. But he'll put me asleep. Go down my throat look and then take out samples of my stomach bile. They test them for infection. If they find any it usually doesn't delay surgery but they do put you on antibiotics that have to be completed before hand. With the two week liquid diet you have enough time to do that though. I'm nervous about that. I'm mostly worried my throats will get messed up or something.

I had to have that done, but they did it by having me blow into some kind of bag, then drink some nasty stuff, wait 15 min and then blow in another bag. I thought the whole thing was nuts but I guess somehow they can tell about the bacteria in your stomach. It's so interesting to see the different requirements and procedures per each surgeon.
  • Mandy_1982
    Options
    cjcarter77 wrote: »

I had to have that done, but they did it by having me blow into some kind of bag, then drink some nasty stuff, wait 15 min and then blow in another bag. I thought the whole thing was nuts but I guess somehow they can tell about the bacteria in your stomach. It's so interesting to see the different requirements and procedures per each surgeon.

I had to do that too. Totally forgot about that!