something dry... replacements for bread / crackers?

Options
HenryFool
HenryFool Posts: 12 Member
Hi - I'm relatively new to LCHF and MFP (about 4 months) it's working really well for me and I'm enjoying the journey.

From time to time I really miss something 'dry' like a cracker when having some cheese or peanut butter, an apple slice is nice and all but it's not 'dry' or textured.

Anyone have any suggestions for low carb alternatives?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Someone will help specifically with a recipe. Until such time as that occurs try a Google search for "keto (low carb) cracker recipes" to find something to make or leave the word "recipe" off and you will discover pre-made things to order on line.

I've baked pepperoni or thinly sliced salami before to make something "cracker like" for cheese, guacamole, dips.

ETA: can also be done in the microwave in a few seconds.
  • HenryFool
    Options
    that's a good idea - I've crisped up ham/bacon quickly in the mircowave to add into salads for texture, it would make a good carrier for some guac! :-)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    you can buy pre-made cheese crisps made entirely of cheese. You can also make these in the microwave or in the oven.

I have used the fathead pizza crust recipe to try to make crackers. They tasted pretty good, but I couldn't get them crispy like crackers. I also added some extra seasoning such as garlic powder because otherwise they are kind of bland. If you are putting cheese or PB on them, that may not be an issue, though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Joseph's Lavash Flatbreads, cut into cracker pieces, then brushed with butter or olive oil or salted are FAB. I have had some flax seed crackers that were interesting, but heavily seasoned, so not as versatile. @JessicaLCHF had a great recipe for homemade crackers... But my favorite is probably still taking cabot extra sharp white cheddar, shredding it, nuking it on a waxed paper plate, then after it's totally brown and crispy, sprinkling it with ranch popcorn seasoning mix for flavor...
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    haha, a post in which I can be useful! I make these http://madeleineshaw.com/recipes/flax-seed-crackers-with-avocado-dip/
    They are basically flaxseed and chia seeds. super easy to make (though they take time as they dry rather than bake). They are very, very tasty with cheese :)

Like someone mentioned above you can add small heaps of parmesan to a frying pan and it will make little crispy things. I also like pork crackling
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I noticed I had to leave my fat head crackers out to dry before placing them in a storage container. They seemed to crisp up when left exposed to the air for awhile.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Chicharonnes are my chips and mostly my cracker go tos, but the fathead pizza dough rolled extreme thin can work as a cracker, I do prefer it as a pizza crust though.

I use jicama with dips, as well as celery. Lots of crunchy goodness that way.

There is also a line of EXTREMELY thin water crackers from Australia that I use sometimes with pate, 39 calories, 6 are 9 carbs, Valley Produce Co. Crackerthins.
  • CarlyIrene415
    CarlyIrene415 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    cheese crisps are great!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of seaweed sheets for that crunchy kind of texture, but don't think they would go well with peanut butter
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Here's something I've been making almost daily this past month. It's more of a bun than a cracker but very satisfying and filling. For extra crispiness, carefully cut one bun in half width-wise and toast. Note that it calls for a "muffin top pan" which isn't found in everyone's kitchen. If you're going to be making LC buns and flatbreads, it's worth ordering one; I got mine online from target.com.

Keto Flax Buns

Preheat oven to 325.

Combine
    1 and one-half teaspoons dry minced onion
    enough water to moisten
    Leave to soften.

Combine
    ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon flax meal (I measure out 96 grams)
    ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese (30 grams)
    1 and one half teaspoons onion powder
    ¾ teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon granular sweetener of choice (I use Splenda)

Beat together
    1 and one half tablespoons water
    1 and one half tablespoons oil
    3 eggs

Stir softened minced onion into egg mixture. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Stir to combine.

Spoon into greased muffin top pan, about ¼ cup per bun to make six buns. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Check at 15 for browning. Cool in pan 5 minutes, remove from pan to cool on rack.

Per bun:
    2 net carbs (my calculation; the original recipe said "1.5 grams" which is just silly)
    8 grams protein

• HenryFool
    Options
    thanks - some great suggestions here, I'm going to try me some cheese crisps right now :wink: